Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never plugged a tubeless tyre. I have been so lucky I guess.
There appears to be different types of plugging kit. I have seen 3 different plugs - rats tail sticky strips, mushroom shaped rubber plugs, and lozenge shaped flat rubber plugs. There may be more

Has anyone experience of the various types and can offer recommendations please

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've tried many, both on my bikes and cars. Haven't had good luck with mushrooms at all. The best, and only one I use now is Nealey. Simple to use and lasts the life of the tire.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the look of the mushroom plug kit that Macduff uses. More expensive than the other types but you get a proper insertion tool. It dosnt seem to need any glue which makes the job easier. I suppose a bit of glue wouldn't do any harm though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use the same kit as macduff as well, the large allen key method of inserting the mushroom with this kit makes it a lot easier than the earlier kits they use to sell. One tip is to carry a small bag of general grease, I push a dollop into the insertion nozzle before the plug as sometimes it can get a bit jammed / chaffed in the nozzle when inserting. They are coated in an oily silicone lube in the bag but the grease just made things easier. All in, its a great kit that has saved my bacon on numerous occasions.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have this kit, which includes an effective pump and worked perfectly for me when I ran over a finish nail in the morning while parking the bike at work.

A few weeks after patching I replaced the tire and the repair "noodle" was exactly where it should have been. Needless to say I never lost any air.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have never plugged a tubeless tyre. I have been so lucky I guess.
There appears to be different types of plugging kit. I have seen 3 different plugs - rats tail sticky strips, mushroom shaped rubber plugs, and lozenge shaped flat rubber plugs. There may be more

Has anyone experience of the various types and can offer recommendations please

Like you I've never had to repair a tubeless tire either despite tens of thousands of miles on them. But I can share this, I always carried a plug kit and was astonished at the price of the co2 cartridges. At least until I found out plumbing stores have them for a fraction of the price of the ones for bike kits. Also a small co2 drain gun works better than the valves and hoses that comes with many bike kits and is easy to adapt to tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts