Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is that considered a steep price for two rims?
As you now front wheel is not suitable for tubeless so they will replace the rim and convert front wheel then to tubeless
Rear wheel is OK so they will convert it.
This is professional conversion and you get warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Found out why my bartubeless conversion was leaking, puncture seal in the tyre had eaten the wheel rim and also lifted off the polymer sealing causing leaks. Rims are a right off due to severe corrosion.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Found out why my bartubeless conversion was leaking, puncture seal in the tyre had eaten the wheel rim and also lifted off the polymer sealing causing leaks. Rims are a right off due to severe corrosion.
Pictures?

I'm having my Alpina tubeless rims installed tomorrow. Stock rims on my 2019 still look like new after 16500km. I assume the Bartubeless warranty does not apply if the rim is corroded?

·
Super Moderator
4,640 Posts
Pictures?

I'm having my Alpina tubeless rims installed tomorrow. Stock rims on my 2019 still look like new after 16500km. I assume the Bartubeless warranty does not apply if the rim is corroded?
(+1) Yes, if possible, it would be a bonus to see.

@Chris Graham, when you mean "puncture seal", did you mean something like "Slime", or similar product?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Woody's Wheels warns against using any sealant on their builds. They state it's corrosive and should be removed ASAP.

·
Registered
433 Posts
What brand of sealer was that, I have had something like that with Slime but not that bad.
I asked, but he didnt know, when he had the wheels fitted the place that did it offered sealant and he said yes. big mistake. I would guess the damage was in part due to the paint used on the wheels. it offered little or no protection and so the sealant had plenty of time to do its work. obviously he had a puncture, but it wasn't immediately apparent. I would guess this took some time to get this bad.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Why would a company make a tire sealant that is corrosive...good thing the same scientists weren't in charge of sending men to the moon....

·
Registered
21 Posts
This thread got side tracked big time with all the diy tubeless discussion.

A few posts seem to suggest that it was determined that 2020 tubeless wheels don't fit the earlier models but those posts got lost in the off topic chatter.

Was this incompatibility confirmed?

·
Registered
433 Posts
This thread got side tracked big time with all the diy tubeless discussion.

A few posts seem to suggest that it was determined that 2020 tubeless wheels don't fit the earlier models but those posts got lost in the off topic chatter.

Was this incompatibility confirmed?
The owner of Rugged Roads here in the UK has said that they will fit, And i think he is in a good position to know this for a fact. This is what he said in answer to a question about tubeless options.

In order of cost for a full set (front and rear wheels)

1. 3M tape or similar (stick it on yourself, but beware the existing CRF1000 front rim doesn't have tubeless bead) - from approx £40.00
  2. Outex Kit (again stick it on yourself, but beware the existing CRF1000 front rim doesn't have tubeless bead) - £110.00
  3. BarTubeless / SM Pro (polymer band baked onto internal face) - £1248.00
  4. Alpina (O-Ring system on spoke nipples) - from £1615.00
  5. Kineo (works of art - but you are stuck with Kineo Cush Rubbers and Rear Sprocket going forward) - from £2387.00
  6. OEM Honda CRF1100 Adventure Sport (yes, they swap straight over to the CRF1000 - BMW style, spokes to outer rim, price includes ABS rings as they won't swap over from CRF1000) - £2467.00

Hope this helps

·
Registered
63 Posts
Outex Kit from Japan is best option
Front wheel missing tubeless bead is not a problem
Friend of mine converted to tubeless using Outex kit 3,4 years ago
Still OK
I understood that problem maybe, will occur only with fully deflated tire.tire could jump out from the rim
That is why you need to have TPMS.10,15,20 euros or pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ive seen numerous posts from owners who have examined the new bike closely... because of this idea about the wheels and the answer seems to be No.

I dread to think what the cost of OEM wheels from Honda would be. cheaper than the Italian made tubeless wheels from Alpina or Kineo? I very much doubt it.

But it wont be long before there is a definitive answer.
Just called down to honda power sports in Carson, CA and the rear wheel alone of a 2020 adventure sport (tubeless) is $1000.21 USD!!!!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts