Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
This thread got side tracked big time with all the diy tubeless discussion.

A few posts seem to suggest that it was determined that 2020 tubeless wheels don't fit the earlier models but those posts got lost in the off topic chatter.

Was this incompatibility confirmed?
I already wrote it ...

16-17-18-19-20-21 tubed wheels are all the same
20-21 ATAS are tubeless

you can fit tubbed wheels on 20-21 ATAS only with complete wheelset ( discs, abs rings , front spacers)
you can 20-21 ATAS wheels on NOT tubeless bikes only with the complete wheelset ( discs, abs rings , front spacers)

rear spacers are the same , rear sprocket drum the same .

18 all black wheels in 21-18

rally raid gold wheels in 19-17
a558b5c4-e037-4954-926e-64a508a69d89.jpg

Reactions: DCTFAN and Misterk

·
Registered
19 Posts

Is that a warranty claim????

Caused from hitting something really hard or?????
Honda Russia don't want to change wheels under warranty because of unusual riding conditions :)) yes, i know - funny. It happened at low speed - rider is not skilled, and
rode carefully on mountain not flat road

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found out why my bartubeless conversion was leaking, puncture seal in the tyre had eaten the wheel rim and also lifted off the polymer sealing causing leaks. Rims are a right off due to severe corrosion.
I am not sure I understand your point? puncture seal in the tyre had eaten the wheel rim? What seal did you use?

·
Super Moderator
2,482 Posts
Fellas, be careful with 2020 tubless rims. On gravel roads spokes may damage rim View attachment 58440 View attachment 58441 View attachment 58442
Wow!
That is just sad!
Honda is just making things worse instead of better. Here’s your new adventure bike now don’t take it anywhere it can get wet or dirty, or off-road or even on a gravel road.....You can take one of our Honda Civic’s on a gravel road but not our adventure bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I want tubeless wheels too but rather than buying another set, I'm sending mine to Woody's Wheel Works. They'll take the current wheels put stringer Excel rims on it, heavier duty spokes, super lace it for around 1200 bucks... They'll be even better/stronger than the 2020 wheels. Might be something for others to consider....
The Excel Rims still require a tube and do not have a safety bead so in the event of a rapid deflation, the tire stands a good chance coming off the rim. The 2020 Africa Twin rims are tubeless with the spokes mounted to a flange that runs the circumference of the wheel and the rim has a safety bead.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well you are mistaken. I seriously doubt Woody's Wheel Works would put anyone's life in jeopardy as well as their business and long standing excellent reputation. What you state IS THE EXACT reason they said they couldn't or wouldn't recommend using the OEM wheel/rim for the tubeless option. So I think you better check your facts or supposed facts.

The Excel rims they use are the exact same type they use on all bike wanting to go tubeless and I've NEVER heard of an issue with them.

The Excel Rims still require a tube and do not have a safety bead so in the event of a rapid deflation, the tire stands a good chance coming off the rim. The 2020 Africa Twin rims are tubeless with the spokes mounted to a flange that runs the circumference of the wheel and the rim has a safety bead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well you are mistaken. I seriously doubt Woody's Wheel Works would put anyone's life in jeopardy as well as their business and long standing excellent reputation. What you state IS THE EXACT reason they said they couldn't or wouldn't recommend using the OEM wheel/rim for the tubeless option. So I think you better check your facts or supposed facts.

The Excel rims they use are the exact same type they use on all bike wanting to go tubeless and I've NEVER heard of an issue with them.
I called the company that distributes Excel Wheels and you are correct. They are offering the 21" rim and can be modified with tape to make it a tubeless design. Why not just buy Alpina tubeless rims that are made to be tubeless instead of buying a rim that has to be modified with tape to make it tubeless? Alpinas cost $1769 for both front and rear wheels and Woody's Wheel Works cost $2229 (regularly $2599 but currently on sale)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Here's my reasoning which I don't need to justify to anyone. Why buy the Alpina Tubeless rims when I can just call Woody's and they'll build me (custom everything from spoke thickness to hub choices and color) the exact set of wheels I want (I bet Alpinas aren't "Super Laced") with ZERO hassles or work? Why not just buy a set that's ready to go and just bolt up?

I've done business with Woody's for many years and purchases a few sets of wheels from them and have been extremely happy with not only the product but their personal service... IMO, after sales service is extremely important and Woody's delivers.

I called the company that distributes Excel Wheels and you are correct. They are offering the 21" rim and can be modified with tape to make it a tubeless design. Why not just buy Alpina tubeless rims that are made to be tubeless instead of buying a rim that has to be modified with tape to make it tubeless? Alpinas cost $1769 for both front and rear wheels and Woody's Wheel Works cost $2229 (regularly $2599 but currently on sale)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's my reasoning which I don't need to justify to anyone. Why buy the Alpina Tubeless rims when I can just call Woody's and they'll build me (custom everything from spoke thickness to hub choices and color) the exact set of wheels I want (I bet Alpinas aren't "Super Laced") with ZERO hassles or work? Why not just buy a set that's ready to go and just bolt up?

I've done business with Woody's for many years and purchases a few sets of wheels from them and have been extremely happy with not only the product but their personal service... IMO, after sales service is extremely important and Woody's delivers.
No one asked you to justify anything. This is a discussion forum where discussions occur between adults so people with similar bikes can learn from owners experiences. Don't feel you are being attacked and maybe don't read hostility into other peoples posts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Right and people learn by receiving CORRECT information! So get your facts straight if you're going to post about a product.

No one asked you to justify anything. This is a discussion forum where discussions occur between adults so people with similar bikes can learn from owners experiences. Don't feel you are being attacked and maybe don't read hostility into other peoples posts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Right and people learn by receiving CORRECT information! So get your facts straight if you're going to post about a product.
I would keep this conversation going but you probably need to get back to your 11th grade zoom classroom meeting based on maturity level in having a civil conversation.

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
Hey folks: Let's try to be happy and dream about those tubeless wheels that many members sorta crave for.

Maybe tonight, sit back, savor the Africa Twin, ... sip some decent rye or bourbon (or whatever brings your beast down). Yeah. ... that's it.

. . .

It's alright.

. . .

We'll get there.

. . .

Smiles all around.

. . .

(woo, I am getting sleepy)

61 - 77 of 77 Posts