Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Look to be the same method used by KTM on their 1190Adv wheels. I would want to know if the sealing strip is available as a spare part as the issue with the KTM wheels is leaks in the strip caused by tyre fitters pinching it on tyre swaps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd really want to know how these compared to Alpina wheels, there is still a hefty cost and when paying as much as the SM Pro wheels cost I'd rather pay the extra for Alpina wheels if they are significantly better. If the SM Pro wheels with BARTubless were less than half the price of Alpina wheels then it would be different, but it looks like they are around 80% of the price which is still a lot of money.

·
Registered
45 Posts
These were definateley not on Rugged Roads site a little while back - but when researching options then there was a rumour that more were coming in addition to Alpina and the American ones whose name escapes me - these may well be they - so they might be a new product. Despite being a rather old biker I am quite new to the world of spokes and tubeless - just had tubeless for years. I think it is certainly worth digging a little more into the Company - they look to be in Italy - and the pros and cons of buying through a UK dealership. I note the have a 4 year warranty to Alpinas 2 - but no one wants to test it out the hard way! Just for my own curiosity I will try and chat to Rugged Roads this week -

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just found these on the RR website and came on here to ask exactly the same question! Although I am not adverse to tubes and fixing punctures these would be nice to have for road trips and I could put off-road tyres on the other set. Like everyone else I slightly nervous at being the first to try them out .. having said that everything I have bought from RR over the years has been great as is their customer service.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am not adverse to tubes and fixing punctures
That is one place where I'm different, I really hate tubes and fixing punctures! I'm likely to be getting my DCT AT this week or next and I've already ordered an Outex kit for my standard rims. I'm thinking that a 2nd set of rims would be great for swapping between road tyres and 50/50 tyres, I'm still thinking that the Alpina wheels would be best, but I'm keen to hear from anyone that tries these wheels from RR.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The only reason is that complete wheels such as alpina have the correct rim profile for tubeless tyres.
It looks like both the rims from Alpina and the ones RR are selling are a little wider than the Honda OEM rims and have the correct rim profile for tubeless tyres. That is definitely one advantage compared to the cheap option (Outex).

There is another reason though - having a 2nd pair of rims so you can have 2 different types of tyres mounted, enabling quick changes between road oriented and more off-road capable tyres.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Jonathan at RR was very helpful on the phone today in (for me) solidifying the background of both companies involved here, and the fact that this system involves the use of a perceived high quality brand rim. Whilst I like the look and sound of the Alpinas - and I am no engineer - at a gut level I feel a little happier with a non O ring solution - so even if the pricing were the same I am still inclining towards this, but the £300+ benefit is not to be sniffed at either. I will sleep on it - but am inclining towards this.
John

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've been following this thread with interest and can't help but think that the simplest answer to running tubeless tyres would be building a set of cross spoke rims as used by BMW.
To my way of thinking, any rim tape/O ring system is a band aid solution with a limited life span, potentially compromised when replacing spokes and subject to damage by careless tyre fitters.
I appreciate that cross spoked wheels are supposedly difficult to manufacture and true but having run them for many years and kilometres on 1150 and 1200 Adventures without problems I can't help but wonder why they aren't used universally by manufacturers.
Is this down to cost saving, ease of manufacture or something else that I haven't considered?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've been following this thread with interest and can't help but think that the simplest answer to running tubeless tyres would be building a set of cross spoke rims as used by BMW.
To my way of thinking, any rim tape/O ring system is a band aid solution with a limited life span, potentially compromised when replacing spokes and subject to damage by careless tyre fitters.
I appreciate that cross spoked wheels are supposedly difficult to manufacture and true but having run them for many years and kilometres on 1150 and 1200 Adventures without problems I can't help but wonder why they aren't used universally by manufacturers.
Is this down to cost saving, ease of manufacture or something else that I haven't considered?

Ironically, Honda use this type of wheel on their VFR1200X and the XAdv, so there’s no real reason why they couldn’t of done a version of the AT, with this style of wheel.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My Outex kit has arrived, that was pretty quick! I only ordered it 5 days ago and it arrived at my door in New Zealand this morning.

Now I just need a bike to use this with!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Alpina wheels are due to arrive today. They quoted six weeks, but its turned out less than three weeks. The tracking indicates that they left Italy yesterday and arrived in my UK home town UPS branch today, via Germany, pretty impressive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've taken the plunge and ordered some from Rugged Roads. They are arriving around the middle of March so will update in due course.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My Alpina wheels are due to arrive today.
I've taken the plunge and ordered some from Rugged Roads. They are arriving around the middle of March so will update in due course.
It'll be a while before I spend this sort of money (bank balance will need to recover after I buy the bike and I need crash bars and panniers) so I look forward to reports from owners of each after market set of wheels.

My cheap option just arrived yesterday, so once I pick up my bike I'll have to pull off the wheels and spend time carefully installing the Outex system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am in the same boat considering new tubeless wheels. A friend in the UK also said to make sure the front wheel bearing is oversized as his was destroyed in a recent trip in the USA with only around 17,000 miles on the clock.

Choices seem to be Bartubless or Alpina

Rugged Roads SM wheels (standard bearings ? Bartubless, rear 36 spoke, 18 x 4.25 ) - £ 1,248
Rally Raid (oversized front bearing, Bartubless, rear 36 spoke , 18 x 4.25) - £ 1,500
Alpina (oversized front bearing, rear 36 spoke, 18 x 4.25) - £ 1,695 (Painted) or £ £ 1,512 (Anodized)

I know with the Bartubless system you can repair the polymer with a tube of the stuff they supply, the question is how long after 4 years will it remain bonded to the wheel? It does have the advantage of being able to put a tube in if required.

Alpina only guaranteed for 2 years but replacement sealing rings are available so in the event of a failure should be an easy fix. In addition they claim the seals should last around 900,000 miles.

https://www.alpina-wheels.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/O-RING-for-TUBELESS-SYSTEM-Alpina-STS.pdf

Decisions, decisions

·
Registered
131 Posts
I’m contemplating the same, trouble with the Bartubless system, it’s guaranteed for 4 years, but who knows how long it’ll last after that and will cost another £300 to have it redone, which then takes it upto Alpina money.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My Alpinas arrived yesterday. Took less than 3 weeks from order. They are really really nice. If anyone wants pics PM me with e mail address. The wheels are with my dealer getting fitted to my new AT AS.
The Alpina price includes shipping from Italy, others may add shipping

1 - 20 of 121 Posts