Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what AT owners are using tube wise ? Heavy duty tubes, puncture sealant:- slime, Stephens, bike seal ? The thought of puncturing and wheel removal make me cringe I run tubliss on my Husaberg but doubt this is suitable for AT's and I'm not sure I fancy trying a mousse But hey if they can be ridden in the Weston Beach race :surprise::surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had 2 front punctures in mine. Both offroad. No problems changing the tubes, but get some rim protectors, espacialy if you have gold rims. The original factory tubes are wafer thin, just replace with standard enduro tubes or heavy duty tubes. Super/ultra heavy duty tubes run the risk of overheating on long road trips and mouses will do the same and aren't designed for the speeds you will ride at on the AT.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've switched to medium weight tubes. Simply thinking that the heavies could cause balance issues on tar which is where I do most of my riding (80%).

Have had one puncher caused by a four inch nail....destroyed the tube totally! On longer trips I carry spare tubes and the tools to do the job. I've practised and can drop the rear wheel and change the tube then re install in about 80 mins so not too bad.

I don't tend to let pressures down on dirt (would on sand) and I think you need to be careful as pinches appear to be the cause of most issues. Have done 12500 klm since getting the AT and 20% on dirt. Currently running TKC70s....love them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I put new tires on my Transalp I spent some time reading about tubes for off road use and this is what I came away with.

I found pros and cons on both regular and heavy duty tubes. I don't recall anything about overheating but mostly about trying to patch the HD tubes. It seems the HD's resist punctures (from small nails, thorns etc) better than the regulars, but the HD's are harder to patch. So if you carry a spare tube the HD sounds better, and if you patch you'll have more luck with the regulars.

PS. For what it's worth, I have heard good things about Ride-on and plan to give it a try and I have heard several negative comments about Slime.

Ti04

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've switched to medium weight tubes. Simply thinking that the heavies could cause balance issues on tar which is where I do most of my riding (80%).

Have had one puncher caused by a four inch nail....destroyed the tube totally! On longer trips I carry spare tubes and the tools to do the job. I've practised and can drop the rear wheel and change the tube then re install in about 80 mins so not too bad.

I don't tend to let pressures down on dirt (would on sand) and I think you need to be careful as pinches appear to be the cause of most issues. Have done 12500 klm since getting the AT and 20% on dirt. Currently running TKC70s....love them.
Aussie Twin,

I am debating between Mitas E07 or TKC 70's and am wondering whether you could briefly give us your reasons for loving the TKC 70's. What kind of roads/tracks have you used them on and what's the mileage like so far, noise?? Also, how do they handle when pushed into corners?
Cheers

Wadeo

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have Michelin UHD 4mm tubes in both wheels and have had no balance or heat issues over a few thousand miles of use. I also carry tools/levers and a spare tube after suffering a sudden deflation in July when riding in Spain with the STD rear tube and tyre fitted. the blowout left an 8mm hole in the tube and tyre carcass so I replaced it with a conti TA2 about 30 miles after patching the tube and plugging the hole in the tyre to get me to the shop. I will be fitting a Conti TA2 front as soon as the OEM tyre is fully worn. I fortunately had friends around when this happened and we had to manhandle the bike onto a log to get the rear wheel off as I only have a sidestand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks True Ad Venture never heard of this but will be interested an probably purchase when replacing my tyres Thanks again

·
Registered
97 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts