Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to turn off the clearance lights . I don't like the indicator lights being on all the time. Would prefer some separate day running lights , too easy for some one to mistake as a turn signal . Cheers

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah, with you on that! Still waiting. Some European bureaucrat came up with this gem apparently - presumably he or she does not ride because I don't think it's safe, not around here anyway where the standard of driving is not the best. I have it fixed in my head that one night I'll be approaching a junction and someone will pull out on me thinking I've indicated to turn. The sooner I can stop this nonsense the better IMO.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It seems safer around here. Easier for drivers to identify a motorcycle (vs half a car) in their mirrors when you're filtering through traffic at night.

I'd say it can't be hard to turn it off, but given the difficulty accessing the wiring, yeah it could.

If, as I've read, they're two wire lamps, you can wire them each up with a relay that closes to let power (key switched power) through to the lamp when the original flasher signal goes off.

If they were 3 wire flasher lamps, hopefully making an open circuit on one of the 3 wires would do what you want.

·
Registered
107 Posts
@wattsy!

which AT version do you own - NONE ABS or with ABS and/or DCT?

on the NONE ABS version there are 3 wires going to the indicators - disconnecting the right one of the 3 wires will help.

on ABS/DCT models the indicators are controlled by a dedicated control unit itself (11pins connector under the ABS modulator). to switch on the permanent lighting would require a massive modification of the standard electronics and/or wiring of the AT.

never the less I see the permanent lightning as an increase of safety and would recommend not to modify it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah I have only just got my A T and have already had a car or two look like they thought I had my left indicator on . Gave a flash and carried on gingerly, don't like them on .My A T is the non abs so I will investigate further on the 3 wire suggestion , will get out the multi meter and do some tests , had a quick look in the light itself to see that it is only 1 globe but haven't looked any further. thanks for the feedback .Cheers

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not sure I understand the concern about this. If the lights are constantly on how can someone mistake that for a turn signal? Many cars operate like this, at least in my neck of the woods as daytime running lights are mandatory. But I know that's not so in the US since when we buy a vehicle down there we can't import it until a daytime running light kit has been installed.

I think on a motorcycle it adds a tiny level of safety on unlit roads at night where it differentiates you from a car with a burnt out head light. It'd be easier to identify the moto from further back with the two indicators both lit as running lights, no?

People pull out in front of me when I'm indicating in my 4x4 at least once a week. If they don't notice 6000 lbs of solid black steel in broad daylight I'm sure those same types won't care if our motorcycle indicators are off or on either?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't understand the concern with having these as running lights either. If car drivers flash their lights at you, they've at least seen you. More conspicuous is better, no? I think I read somewhere that the addition of a second light (or two in this case) helps car drivers judge the speed of an approaching motorcycle better. And who hasn't had a car try to make a turn in front of them? A common curse of all motorcycle riders is being nigh invisible to car drivers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
nor have I been in a position where another road user is thinking I'm making a turn.
That's good but it's only got to happen once! I don't know where these lights have come from - I can't see anything in Euro 4 regs about them. These regs are about emissions and fuel vapour capture. If the lights were Euro 4, plenty of other new bikes would have them by now. Not sure why Honda went with them.

The extra visibility versus possible confusion debate isn't going away. On balance, I'd prefer them switched off and I'll rely on my high vis vest or proper driving lights to wake up the numpties. Won't make much difference to the texters and phone callers, mind! After 40 years of biking, I still feel wary when approaching a side junction with a car waiting to pull out. (Over that time, a few have done so). These lights have increased that wariness for me, though others may feel safer with them.

It would be good to know whether it's easy to disconnect them - then at least we can choose as individuals and go with what we feel is the safer option. Accident claims lawyers are going to have a lucrative time, either way!

·
Registered
480 Posts
It is the contrast of a flashing indicator that people see for turning. I don't see how the additional constant daytime lighting of the indicators would confuse people into thinking you are turning? I like them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My view is to have them switched off.
Someone who is more used to white DRL’s will see the orange lights and not make the mental connection that they are not flashing.
They will see what they want to see and assume (making an ASS out of U and Me) [sorry can never resist that one] that I intend to turn.
I agree the more visibility the better but at this moment there are very few using orange as DRL’s so the numpty will be confused and probably cause me pain.

Are any of you old enough to remember the commotion and shouts of “YER LIGHTS ARE ON” When Volvo first decided to leave the side lamps on permanently? (First DRL’s) They took quite a while to be accepted as normal.

Time to shut up…It's late....I’m rambling

·
Registered
74 Posts
Every Harley on the planet has its front indicators on all the time. They help to identify the bike as something other than a single light and I believe it helps other drivers get an idea of how far away you are.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Every Harley on the planet has its front indicators on all the time. They help to identify the bike as something other than a single light and I believe it helps other drivers get an idea of how far away you are.
I don't know which planet you're from? Probably one of our ex colonies :wink2:, but over here in mother England the Hardly Davidsons' do not have their indicators permanently illuminated as standard.

Either way It's down to personal preference.

I'm booked in for my 1st service this week. I'll ask if they can be switched off, failing that I will try to get a copy of the wiring diagram and see if I can figure it out myself :nerd:

In the meantime "Let's be careful out there" (name that TV show)

·
Registered
101 Posts
My mate has a MSX125 which has the indicators illuminated all the time and all he did was snip a wire In each one and now it's the way you would exspect,his bike is a 2015 model and uses normal bulbs.
The new 2017 AT have LED's and iv been told by my dealer in Wigan that it's not yet been discovered how to overcome this issue if at all possible.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It seems that US and Canadian drivers are used to this idea, so cool, no problem for them. But here in Sydney, the use of blinkers as daytime running lights is a totally new concept and I'd prefer it if us motorcyclists weren't the test pilots. It would be better if the local cagers - known to be both stupid and over-aggressive - had it spoon-fed to them via some other vehicle. It's taken them 30 years to get the rudimentaries of using a roundabout for pete's sake, and even now they mess it up! In the meantime, as they used to say in the Hill Street Blues (Ray): "let's be careful out there".

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks to kari4711 We have a wiring diagram (page 567)
Elsewhere it shows just one live and one feed to each LED indicator.
The relay clearly shows one live wire for each light unit so I presume we get a reduced current feed for the running lights to the front and full current to all four when indicating.
I had an idea to find the relay and see if I could disconnect the front indicator feeds from the relay and power them in tandem from the rear feed so eliminating the low current feed for the running mode.
However I have been to the dealership today for 600 mile service (400 miles late) and spoke to the technician.
He told me the relay is probably located somewhere under the front Tupperware, so I won’t be looking at that till I need to dismantle the front again.
The other thing was that the indicators are controlled by a Can-Bus system.
Now I must confess that I know very little about the witchcraft that lies within so I’m afraid I must throw in the towel at this point and hope that a greater mind than mine can find a solution.

Ladies and Gentlemen the ball is in your court. Good hunting.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I took mine in for its 600 mile service yesterday. I asked my dealer whether the running lights could be disconnected. The technician's response (in writing on the service receipt) was "not possible, there is no switch". Well, you learn something every day! Maybe there's an auto electrical whizz somewhere on this forum who can give us a better answer?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I took mine in for its 600 mile service yesterday. I asked my dealer whether the running lights could be disconnected. The technician's response (in writing on the service receipt) was "not possible, there is no switch". Well, you learn something every day! Maybe there's an auto electrical whizz somewhere on this forum who can give us a better answer?
I mentioned how to do it early on in the thread. I didn't provide detailed instructions, but I said what you needed to do. If you have two-wire flashers, and you need detailed instructions, maybe better to have someone do it for you, or not do it at all. The reliability of your turn signals will be reduced. If its done well, only by a little. If not, by a lot.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts