Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the review videos, it looks like the turn signal lights are always on for the review bikes. So I'm guessing it'll be like this in the US market too. I might want to import the bike to the UK one day when I move back, and I'm pretty sure this is illegal there.

Obviously, no one has played around with the electrics on one yet, but does anyone with general bike electrics experience have a view on how difficult it's likely to be to set the turn signals so they're off unless signaling? Is there likely to be some kind of complex control unit, or will I just have to remove a wire do you think?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've never known a bike to have turn signals always on, not in Africa anyway.

The only way this happens is if you use your hazards which obviously can be turned on or off in the case of emergencies(although a lot of commuters leave them on during riding in poor weather conditions).

Perhaps the review bikes where using hazards because they were being filmed ?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean constantly on, with a steady orange... Then flashing when turning.

And it's really strange that the EU bikes are spec'd to have them on as I'm pretty sure it's illegal in the UK. I hope it's an easy job to modify them so they're completely off other than when signalling :-/

·
Registered
276 Posts
I mean constantly on, with a steady orange... Then flashing when turning.

And it's really strange that the EU bikes are spec'd to have them on as I'm pretty sure it's illegal in the UK. I hope it's an easy job to modify them so they're completely off other than when signalling :-/
Could be market specific, or in better words, could be like that except for in UK?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My issue is that I live in America at the moment (so will be buying the US spec bike) but will be moving back to the UK in a couple of years.

I might make it a condition of buying the bike, that the dealership has to figure out a way of turning the damned things off before I ride the bike off the lot... lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
My issue is that I live in America at the moment (so will be buying the US spec bike) but will be moving back to the UK in a couple of years.

I might make it a condition of buying the bike, that the dealership has to figure out a way of turning the damned things off before I ride the bike off the lot... lol
Might it be only the front signals?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might it be only the front signals?
I think so, but I'm pretty sure that's not allowed in the UK. Certainly, I've never seen any vehicle in the UK that has the front turn signals permanently on. You see it all the time with vehicles in the US though. I've never really been sure what the point of it is, does it really help people see you much more?

My hope is that there's just an additional cable to the turn signals that can be removed, but I really know next to zero about motorcycle electrics!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think so, but I'm pretty sure that's not allowed in the UK. Certainly, I've never seen any vehicle in the UK that has the front turn signals permanently on. You see it all the time with vehicles in the US though. I've never really been sure what the point of it is, does it really help people see you much more?

My hope is that there's just an additional cable to the turn signals that can be removed, but I really know next to zero about motorcycle electrics!

This is also the case in Australia. I have never seen a vehicle with it's signals always on in Aus, while American vehicles that are imported have to be modified so that their signals turn off when not in use.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't claim any expertise here but have some relevant experience with my two scooters. On my MP3 which has 4 front headlights (2 main beam and 2 high beam), many people wanted all four lights on when you turned on your high beam. It was a simple case of snipping a few wires and splicing them together in a different way. No fancy control units needed.

On my Genuine Buddy the front indicators are built into the bikes bodywork. Unfortunately they don't meet USA regulations so when imported they are disabled and ugly after market ones are stuck on the handlebars. This leaves a perfectly good set of lights on the bike that are never used, so some folks wire them up as additional indicators or running lights. I've not done it but I'm led to believe it's a simple case of splicing a few wires together as well.

So, not super helpful but I would think it's a simple task.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seem to recall hearing or reading that the turn signals will not be LED in the US market. My guess is that the front signal lights will not always be on for US market bikes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Both indicators are now on all the time in the UK, a first for here. Apparently new legislation from the EU has kicked in.
Oh really? wow... that makes life easier for me then!

I still really don't get the point of it though, does it aid visibility? I can't see why as they're not on full power.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like the idea of the turn signals, front and rear, being on. At dusk and night it adds lighting, which I like. I usually add a very bright bicycle rear light and even a front flashing white bicycle light to my bikes when I ride later, especially with it getting dark way too early now.

I had a vehicle driver pull up to me and tell me that all motorcycles should have the
rear flashing red light. Here in Florida you can get away with the rear flashing red light.

I would prefer the U.S. spec bike to have LED and have them on all of the time.

FYI, disabling them would not be hard and a simple aftermarket turn indicator switch
kit would be fairly easy to integrate, using the same lights. The only negative would be
mounting a second turn switch onto the bar. Otherwise, once you have access to the wiring diagram, it's just a matter of swapping one or two connections and properly terminating at each light.

Ride safely.
Jim

P.S. Now we have human verification advertising? That's a bummer. I'm already
sick of the advertising on YouTube... 5-seconds to skip can't come fast enough.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I rode a UK bike yesterday, and yes, the front LED turn signals are lit all the time - the rear's aren't

They are not as bright as when flashing / indicating. There's a huge noticeable difference

I am guessing here, but I believe that these are lit during normal running as 'markers'. I think it aids other road users differentiate between you as a bike and a car. Seems to be introduced at the same time as the rule about twin headlamp bikes not being allowed to have both lights lit on dipped beam (because other road users could think you were a car in the distance and pull out on you)

I quite like it. The LED performance is fantastic on the CRF. Not sure why the US isn't getting LED - makes no sense to me

·
Registered
96 Posts

.. it's not illegal in the U.K. Bikes like the Harley Sportster Nightster operate like that in the U.K. When I immigrated to the States from the UK I wanted to take my S1000RR with me. It was a complete nightmare. You have to have the bike changed to USA spec (headlights point different direction, exhaust is different, etc) and have BMW UK confirm it is US spec before customs will release the bike on arrival. And then get it registered and of course residual values would be through the floor, because it's still an import and insurance rates could be higher because it's not a N.A. bike. In short I sold it for decent money and immigrated without the hassle, free to buy whatever I wanted (a Diavel Carbon Red at the time) on my arrival.

I don't know if you'll have the same problem in reverse, but I wouldn't be surprised. I remember an acquaintance I knew saying he brought his VMax with him from Hong Kong and it it was a "complete nightmare" taking him a couple of years and vast sums of money to sort it all out. He said it simply wasn't worth it. I wouldn't know personally, I'm just the messenger on that one.

My advise to you is don't sweat it, and sell it before you go back to Blighty. If it's still the love of your life then, you can either buy a new or used one, depending on your budget, needs and desire. Anyway, hope this helps...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts