Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Captain Scarlet!

I have done a little research on this, and most people say that it is far easier importing a motorbike into the UK than it is into the US. Not to say it's completely straightforward, but still a lot easier.

It basically goes through a vehicle check that is like a more involved version of the MOT, as far as I can tell. Big things that would be a 'game over' failure would be emissions, but I'm sure if the bike passes emissions tests in the US (California is very strict I hear) then it'll pass them in the UK too.

Then for the other things it's just a case of keeping my finger's crossed I think. Headlights is the obvious one depending on whether the AT has a flat beam or if it kicks to one side. Maybe owners who already have one could answer that for me?

Without going into details, the terms of my relocation package back to the UK heavily incentivizes me to bring a bike back!

·
Registered
51 Posts
How long will it be b4 some Cretin in a cage says I thought you were indicating left and pulls out on a bike, as you know they are mostly blind!

Also a little of subject but DCT owners, have you ever forgot and blipped the throttle at a set of lights..!
Dealer said he almost did that when showing a customer the bike in 1st gear. and i thought of it when a car pulled up the side of me on the test ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2013 Honda MSX which I bought new. The front indicators are 'always on'. Before collecting it, I'd never seen it on anything but imports.

So, this isn't new or illegal in the UK. But it's still unusual. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know the questions been asked......but can the US bikes be retrofitted with the LED always on turn signals? I think it's great, anything that makes me more visible to autos is a plus in my book.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What's wrong with these indicators?

Hmmm! Just returned home from collecting my new AT from the dealer. Parked it on the driveway, engine running, while I unlocked the garage door. As I walked back to the bike I noticed the front indicators were both on - steady light rather than flashing. "Bugger! What's wrong with them?", I thought .........then I read this thread!!:smile2:

I'm not convinced that they'll add to safety. White LEDs would certainly help but orange ones might confuse some drivers. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a rider for Blood Bikes Wales and we have just received a new bike, where they stay on. I had two cars pull out, of side roads, in front of me, the first time I rode it!
It may be a coincidence, however I believe the concept is seriously floored. My next ride may tell. (with serious consequences.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking at the review videos, it looks like the turn signal lights are always on for the review bikes. So I'm guessing it'll be like this in the US market too. I might want to import the bike to the UK one day when I move back, and I'm pretty sure this is illegal there.

Obviously, no one has played around with the electrics on one yet, but does anyone with general bike electrics experience have a view on how difficult it's likely to be to set the turn signals so they're off unless signaling? Is there likely to be some kind of complex control unit, or will I just have to remove a wire do you think?
I can confirm UK bikes are the same solid orange all the time flash for turn.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes... And after riding my bike with these 'always on' lights.. For well over a year, Never, not once have I had a car pull out on me. There is a big difference between a steady light and a flashing light that even the most daft car driver can see.

If there were a problem then this would already be a big topic of conversation and there would be, by now. A way of turning the lights fully off. These lights are not unique to the CRF10/11

The only time this is ever mentioned as an issue is from someone brand new to the bike who is blaming the bike rather than the actual culprit. Drivers who aren't paying attention.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Canadian 2019 ATAS has LED lights all round with the exception of the license plate light. I can't say yet if the front signal lights are on all the time until mine comes out of storage. My 1975 CB-400F Super Sport had the front signal lights on whenever low beam was on. They would turn off when high beam was selected. It was supposed to show oncoming traffic that you were riding a motorcycle and not an approaching car with one headlight burned out. Since then it seems to go in cycles. Sometimes bikes have full time lighting indicators and other years indicators are only lit when activated for a turn.

·
Registered
298 Posts
In the States we've had front running lights on bikes since the 70s, when the Feds mandated it for the reasons Bill J gave. Probably when they took away the headlight on/off switch. This is not the same as having the turn signals always on, there are two filaments in the bulb, which is the same as a brake bulb. They're not supposed to change with the dipswitch setting, though.
I would say that if your country used to not allow FRLs, and your new machine has them, it's because either your laws have changed, or your bike is not specced for your country.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been riding my HAT for about 15 months now with no problems of cars pulling out (because of the lights)
Mind you I often wear very bright jackets over my gear and when I do other vehicles seem to be very cautious (mostly)
I wonder why that could be? (he wrote sarcastically)
I hardly notice the indicator lights are on unless it is dark
They get a lot brighter when they are flashing

I remember once when riding my Tiger I pulled out behind another chap on a motobicyclette whilst riding to my job at Triumph in Washington (UK)
He, by chance, was going to where I worked and when he stopped I pulled in behind him and asked why he had suddenly slowed down and stuck to the speed limit
"I thought you were the cops" said he

21 - 36 of 36 Posts