Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
I have put the Tutoro automatic chain oiler on several bikes. Here is my implementation on the Honda Africa Twin.

Remember: Do not mount the reservoir on the swing arm.

Can you see it in this image?

... and the close-up shots ... follow the cyan-coloured tube ...

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
Looks good! Any special juice in that oiler?
Not really. But to be more specific:
  • Use Tutoro medicine (cyan in colour) some of the time.
  • Most other times I use full-synthetic 5W30 oil. I do not use non-synthetic as it can damage the unit.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not really. But to be more specific:
  • Use Tutoro medicine (cyan in colour) some of the time.
  • Most other times I use full-synthetic 5W30 oil. I do not use non-synthetic as it can damage the unit.
What is chain lube for??

Well, the little engineer in my head enjoyed this discussion. I actually bought into the argument and now use gear oil on Ol' Red's drive chain. She gets a chain job every 1k mi or so depending on conditions.

"Stay greasy my friends!" Enjoy...

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
What is chain lube for??

Well, the little engineer in my head enjoyed this discussion. I actually bought into the argument and now use gear oil on Ol' Red's drive chain. She gets a chain job every 1k mi or so depending on conditions.

"Stay greasy my friends!" Enjoy...

That is a great FortNine flick on chain lube. Never get bored of it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have put the Tutoro automatic chain oiler on several bikes. Here is my implementation on the Honda Africa Twin.
Is this a gravity feed or pressure feed DT?

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
Is this a gravity feed or pressure feed DT?
Gravity fed WW. There is a valve that opens when a weighted plunger's momentum is able to overtake gravity and allow a squirt of fluid to enter the line. The orifice area is dictated by an adjustment dial. I usually adjust it in late spring and early fall by maybe 180 to 270 degrees (less than one turn). I suppose the number of dial turns may also vary with the type and grade of lubricant one is using.

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
By the way: I moved the reservoir back and up slightly. This is the final resting position that has been working well for me ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yet to turn it on, but have filled with Tutoro oil and primed, shall get to try in the next week or two...
Looking forward to having my chain auto oil, up to now I've kept away from sticky spray lubes and just manually put a drop of Scott oil on each roller every tankful of fuel...

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
My filling method, and 3m dual lock on the top, both on the frame tube, and Tutoro tank, to firm up, not sure its needed but at this point shall see how it goes...
What is the syringe for? Filling? Can't just go straight from the bottle?

·
Registered
39 Posts
DT,
I'm using the syringe to fill as then I don't need to take the top fully off, and I can fill down beside the counter weight, verses pouring in and wetting the weight, It's todays setup, see how it goes in use and refine over time ;)
Overall I was looking for the simplest mount, and feed line setup, working with the KISS principal, and I think I found that...
Just lucky to find P clips the right size, stainless screws, stick clips, and double sided mounting tapes in my workshop that all came together to get the job done...

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
DT,
I'm using the syringe to fill as then I don't need to take the top fully off, and I can fill down beside the counter weight, verses pouring in and wetting the weight, It's todays setup, see how it goes in use and refine over time ;)
Overall I was looking for the simplest mount, and feed line setup, working with the KISS principal, and I think I found that...
Just lucky to find P clips the right size, stainless screws, stick clips, and double sided mounting tapes in my workshop that all came together to get the job done...
Qool.

Wetting the weight won't be an issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
DT and other users of the Tutoro oiler, what valve settings are working for you, and how much oil fling are you experiencing .? Started on 1 turn out on the valve, standard Green/Blue Tutoro oil, temps currently 16c to 20c, and oil fling over the rear numberplate, wheel, chain guard, and up under the rear panels, even across on the muffler, so down to 3/4, a little better but still messy, about to try on 1/2 turn on the next ride, yet I recall reading 1 to 1.5 turns.!!!
Now wondering if I maybe have some plastic szwarf or something in the valve area...

Cheers W

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
Good question @Wanderer. It is mostly unscientific. I have found about 1.75 turns for cold weather 5W40 full synthetic, and about 1 turn for Tutoro's regular formulation. In warm/hot weather I have to cut those numbers in half. I do almost all tarmac riding. I suspect rough off-road your settings will be maybe tighter?

I have never gone over 2 turns in any riding circumstance. The lowest I have used was 0.25 in very hot weather using Tutoro's regular formulation. Tutoro does sell a hot weather formulation, but I have not used it.

Your mileage will vary with the road surface conditions. (i.e. bumps)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts