Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my spokes replaced last week and noticed that afterwards, at a constant indicated 65 km/hr on a smooth road a regular hopping sensation could be felt up through the bars.

I've seen other posts about sticky suspension causing a similar effect but working on the rule of 'what was disturbed last is usually the cause' I checked the rim for out of round, the tyre for fitment to the rim and finally, runout of the tyre itself.

The rim and tyre fitment were good but the circumference of the tyre was running eccentrically by about 4mm. All of the balance weights were placed opposite the point of furthest runout which made sense.

The dealer rechecked my findings and rotated the tyre 180 degrees. The subsequent rebalance resulted in the weights required also moving 180 degrees.

The problem hasn't gone away but is marginally better. I'm due a new front soon so hopefully that will resolve the issue. Anyone else experience this when their tyre was disturbed for some reason.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi,

do not know if absolutely relevant, but once (years back) I had an issue with my front tire on my Varadero. The bike under braking would not follow a straight line.

We checked everything, ball bearings, rim, of course pressures, tire uniformity. Everything was good.

eventually, it was proven that the tire had sustained internal damage at its skeleton (hope I am using the correct terminolgy here) and the problem would manifest only under the load by the bike (and braking in particular in my case).

I would suggest that you change a tire and check. Maybe you tire also sustained damage during extraction/reinsertion to the rim.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. A friend tells me that he experienced a similar problem once after refitting a front tyre following a puncture. It didn't sit on the rim as it had done prior to removal and ran slightly out of round giving a 'hopping' sensation through the bars.

The workshop checked the tyre over and couldn't find anything obvious except they commented that the wear wasn't particularly even and there was slight evidence of Ozone cracking that could be seen between the treads once the tyre was deflated.

The tyre is almost done so I'll get a bit more out of the rear and then replace them as a pair with something like Anakee's or Tourance's if they are available in sizes to suit the rims.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I've had a tire on a sport touring bike go out of round after hitting a really sharp pothole - it broke or damage belts in the tire. It would hop only at certain speeds. At highway speeds it was fine but at low speed it would bounce. If you change your own tires you could try a new tire and see what happens.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had an issue with a new front tyre recently.
Had a new tyre fitted then at any speed upto around 60mph I was getting an uncontrollable wobble in the bars. If I loosened my grip the bars went into a scary death wobble.
I took it straight to a tyre fitter and had the balance and bead seating checked.

He rebalanced the tyre adding 75g to one area of the rim. He also squeezed out the puncher proof goo I had in There.

He refitted everything and I took it down the road. I noticed a small improvement but still a scary wobble.

No charge from tyre fitter as not rectified problem. (I didn't buy tyre from them).

I contacted manufacturer of the tyre and they suggested I buy another tyre and send that one in for inspection.

Not ideal but bike was unridable so I ordered the same tyre from friendly tyre fitters.

Next day I had a call to tyre was in so I went up and had it fitted with a new tube. This time tyre looked smoother spinning the wheel.

I went out for quick test and it was perfect.

So as I doubt the tube could have caused this issue as it was fine before the new tyre was fitted. I can only hope there is an issue with my original new front tyre.

The manufacturer will let me know the result in the next week or two. And hopefully I will get my money back.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had a tire on a sport touring bike go out of round after hitting a really sharp pothole - it broke or damage belts in the tire. It would hop only at certain speeds. At highway speeds it was fine but at low speed it would bounce. If you change your own tires you could try a new tire and see what happens.
Superfunkomatik. You described what I have been experiencing exactly, and the poor roads in Adelaide would lead me to think I had damaged my tyre in the same way - except - the hopping that I am experiencing only began after the tyre was removed and replaced for the spoke swap.

With the front wheel free to spin the gap between the circumference of the tyre and the fender extenda can be seen to change as the wheel rotates. Its so far out it can be easily seen by eye!

I'll be getting a new pair of tyres very soon, and most definitely they won't be Dunlop's. Haven't been a fan I have to say.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Maybe the spokes need to be trued. Maybe you have a 'wow' in the wheel and by tightening and balancing the spokes distances you'll fix it. Lots of youtube videos on truing a wheel. If you get it wrong it may actually make things worse. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was invited into the workshop when I took the bike back after noticing the problem and they showed me that the rim was true and that the tyre was sitting correctly, something I had already checked myself. It is definitely the tyre so it will going to the great tyre graveyard in the sky soon.

·
Registered
104 Posts
"The manufacturer will let me know the result in the next week or two. And hopefully I will get my money back."

I have heard back from Pirelli/Metzeler
It reads:

following our assessment of above tyre claim we are authorising your dealer to pass on an allowance of 100% to compensate you for the loss of potential mileage.

This action should not be viewed as an admission of liability on the part of the company but is taken in the interest of customer relations.

I took the letter into the tyre shop today to get my refund. They kept the letter and
Unfortunately only refunded the price of the tyre.

So Pirelli supplied a faulty/dangerous tyre. I had it fitted and found the problem. I took it directly to one of their dealers and had it refitted and rebalanced to no avail.

I contacted Pirelli and was told to buy another tyre which I did and obviously paid to have it fitted for the 3rd time.

My newer STR tyre is now fine and I have had some of my money returned but all in all I am very unimpressed with Pirelli's customer service.

It makes me wonder if the tyre had been the cause of an accident then what would they say.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My AT has done that since day one. My other bikes do not.

I had the dealer check it and they found the "run out" was off. They contacted Honda about it who said it was not out enough for warranty.

So my AT hops in front around 30-40mph.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts