Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I was running out of things to waste my money on, spotted this Michelin Tyre Monitoring system.
Always a bind kneeling down, digging the gauge/ pump out, blah blah blah.
This works a treat, I鈥檇 defo recommend 馃憤

Registered
Yes they are very good, as you push the bike out the garage it wakes up and you get an instant reading.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Ye, I think its great. I鈥檓 a bit obsessed with my tyres, but it鈥檚 a pain checking them all the time. These actually work. Cheers

Registered
Don't laugh, I avoid any technology that holds the valve open, for fear of air loss. I like a belt and braces cap and valve to keep the air in. Be interesting to know how you get on with this.

Registered
I've run mine for six months no pressure loss and charged the unit once but only because it was down to two bars.

Registered
I bought a TPMS from AliExpress and have been using it for almost 2 years. This is the one I got:
I've had no pressure loss and no problems at all. I did buy a couple of spare batteries (CR1632) but I haven't needed to replace the original ones yet.

I wanted to monitor the pressure because I converted the tyres to tubeless (Outex kit) and don't want to take any chances. I would happily buy the same TPMS again, I've had absolutely zero issues with mine except for that cheap plastic bracket to hold the display module breaking. I have bought a RAM Mount ball that will screw into the tripod mount of a camera, this screws into my display module perfectly, now I'm using a RAM Mount ball & arm to hold my display module where I want it and it is working great.

Registered
Don't laugh, I avoid any technology that holds the valve open, for fear of air loss. I like a belt and braces cap and valve to keep the air in. Be interesting to know how you get on with this.
A theoretical issue, but in practise I've found those fears to be unfounded. IF it was a problem, at least the TPMS would be able to alert you to it fairly quickly. There are many other problems that can cause a tyre to lose pressure and without a TPMS you would be unaware of the issue until you checked the tyre pressure or noticed a degradation in the handling. I think there is more safety in having a TPMS (despite the valve being held open) than in not having a TPMS.

Super Moderator
I've gotta stop reading threads. It's costing me too much money.
I hear ya. Been looking around today at TPMS's. Told myself a few months ago, " ... not yet, not yet." :rolleyes:

(Some might say, " ... you need new underwear before you need some TP, ... whatever you called it.")

Registered
I have the same or similar system as KiwiMark (except from Amazon). It has saved me a couple times from a tire going down too far. It is nice to have a warning before the tire adversely affects handling.

If I had any reservations about a valve cap leak, I would simply wrap some duct tape over top of the cap and around the tire. The cap can鈥檛 fly off that way. And it can hold more air in, too.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::unsure:

Super Moderator
I have the same or similar system as KiwiMark (except from Amazon). It has saved me a couple times from a tire going down too far. It is nice to have a warning before the tire adversely affects handling.

If I had any reservations about a valve cap leak, I would simply wrap some duct tape over top of the cap and around the tire. The cap can鈥檛 fly off that way. And it can hold more air in, too.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::unsure:
... you forgot the dollop of epoxy before the duct tape. :ROFLMAO:

Registered
I have this one, it also shows the tire temperature. I've had it now for about 3 months. I charged it when I got it and have not charged it up yet. It still shows full charge. I goes to sleep when not riding and then turns on when you start moving. So far it has worked well and is quite accurate as compared to a precision air gauge.

Super Moderator
I have this one, it also shows the tire temperature. I've had it now for about 3 months. I charged it when I got it and have not charged it up yet. It still shows full charge. I goes to sleep when not riding and then turns on when you start moving. So far it has worked well and is quite accurate as compared to a precision air gauge.

Heh, I caved and happened to get the exact same looking model.

(I guess no new underwear.)

Registered
Bought the cheapie unit off Amazon that does pressure and temperature. $50 well spent, no issue with leaks, yet, after 4 months or so.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
My main problem is watching it, and not the road, as I鈥檓 riding around. Interesting to see the pressure rising as they warm up. Mine go up by about 10%. A bit geeky I guess 馃

Registered
Interesting, I'll definitely be getting a TPMS next Spring when I get my AT. But, in looking at how these things works I'm comparing to my old 2006 or so BMW Kbike. That had a TPMS but it was temperature adjusted. So, you'd start moving in the morning and it would show the tire pressure. Then, throughout the day when you looked at the temperature, it was adjusted back to "cold" (no, I don't know what temperature that was at). So, if your tires would normally increase their pressure by 10% when you rode, due to temperature increases, the BMW would adjust them back down by that 10%. What this meant is that you always knew the "cold" temperature which is what you initially inflate them to. PLUS, if you needed to add air you could and the reading on the bike was the "cold temperature" reading regardless of what the air pump says.

Super Moderator
Interesting, I'll definitely be getting a TPMS next Spring when I get my AT. But, in looking at how these things works I'm comparing to my old 2006 or so BMW Kbike. That had a TPMS but it was temperature adjusted. So, you'd start moving in the morning and it would show the tire pressure. Then, throughout the day when you looked at the temperature, it was adjusted back to "cold" (no, I don't know what temperature that was at). So, if your tires would normally increase their pressure by 10% when you rode, due to temperature increases, the BMW would adjust them back down by that 10%. What this meant is that you always knew the "cold" temperature which is what you initially inflate them to. PLUS, if you needed to add air you could and the reading on the bike was the "cold temperature" reading regardless of what the air pump says.
Understood. More some, that could be manic. o_O

1 - 20 of 23 Posts