Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a good reliable tyre pressure monitoring system. I had intended to buy the sensors for my Zumo 595 but there are a lot of reports about intermittent connections (I already have enough of them with Freecom headset). I have been looking at Steelmate system, as I am running tubes in tubeless tyres would like to keep an eye on the pressures and temp at speed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Following this one.
I'm interested in getting the garmins to go with the 395LM that I plan to buy soon 9for the same reason as above). Would love to hear first-hand accounts on reliability too!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not going to get the Garmin ones as the pressure reading are not real time, so you will probably know you have a puncture before the system tells you. (It was one of the reasons I bought the Zumo though). Also there is no temperature sensor and they are expensive. I was looking at some alternatives and found a product from Steelmate made in the UK. I have ordered a wireless on that simultaneously shows both front and rear pressures and monitors temp. for £99 which is a good bit less than buying the Garmin sensors which apparently keep disconnecting.
Will post when I see if they are any good.
http://www.steel-mate.co.uk/acatalo...re-Pressure-Monitoring-System-412.html#SID=46

·
Registered
295 Posts
Where do you get that the Garmin TPS are not real time? I have them connected to the 590LM and can watch the pressure increase as the tyres warm up. I have set it to give me an alert below a pressure setting of my choice. I have never had any issues and the OKA tyre sealant does not seem to have effected them in any way. Batteries could last a bit longer but they are worth it for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Where do you get that the Garmin TPS are not real time? I have them connected to the 590LM and can watch the pressure increase as the tyres warm up. I have set it to give me an alert below a pressure setting of my choice. I have never had any issues and the OKA tyre sealant does not seem to have effected them in any way. Batteries could last a bit longer but they are worth it for the peace of mind.
THanks for the info. What batteries do they take? Also, did you notice any issues with wheel balance or have to rebalance after installing them?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just from reading reviews it was mentioned in half a dozen of them, do you have any issue with them disconnecting? I will have a look on the Garmin website at the specs, but I would also like the temperature reading. Can you see tyre pressure while following a map?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have had no issues with them disconnecting. You can watch the TPS full screen and then have to rely on the warning popping up if you are following sat nav maps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am running tubes in tubeless tyres would like to keep an eye on the pressures and temp at speed.
I switched to Outex so I could keep an eye on tire pressures. Because Garmin Zumo 660 sucks and aren't compatible with their own tpms line, I used the 12volt socket to keep an eye on tire pressures. However, what I'm using is meant for 4 tires instead of 2. As someone mentioned earlier, you will undoubtedly find yourself ice skating with the devil before the warning catches your eye, but at least you'll know when your tire is low.

See the following write up on this subject and others below:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/making-the-africa-twin-into-a-50-50-touring-bike.1259490/

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the FOBO tire pressure monitoring system, the sensors sync to your phone. I don't like having a lot of gadgets mounted on the bike so this system works very well, I takes a few seconds to connect to the sensors every time you get out of range but I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did the FOBO pressure monitors also.
They seem to do real time pressure and temp.
Got thru an entire season of riding with one set of batteries on them and no issues.
I run tubed 50/50 tires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use the Garmin valve caps with my Garmin 390 - They work very well. Yes, they are expensive, but I really like the fact that I can easily & quickly check the tyre pressures any time, & get a warning if the pressure drops too low. I've had no problems with them disconnecting; the batteries last around 9-12 months. The batteries are CR2032; Not that easy too find in shops, so I generally buy them through fleabay.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I installed the Spy system ordered from N Cook Security - about £68 from memory - this after my 2 blown tubes (see my thread a few weeks ago questioning tyre creep). Simple to fit, only had it on less than a week and a couple of rides - but seems OK so far for a cheapie.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I use tyre pressure indicators and while riding occasionally lean over and blink at the same frequency as my wheel rotational speed to check the green indicator still shows. It can be a pain to change blink frequency due to the different diameter wheels though. Note my pressure here is dropping a little, time for a pump!

No seriously, not the same I know but I do like them as a great visual check before getting on.

Attachments

Reactions: cckelly67

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use Garmin tire monitors with Zumo 390 and works perfect. I won’t ride without them. It gave me early warning with slow leak and was able to ride to a tire fitment shop who fitted my spare tube. Way easier than doing on a busy freeway. Highly recommend them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Maybe I should start a new thread for this one, but:
For those of you with pressure monitors on their AT, do you also have steel valve stems?
I'm a bit concerned with the mass of the sensor attached to a rubber tube valve stem at high speeds. That's a lot of force once you're going at high speeds.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am not going to get the Garmin ones as the pressure reading are not real time, so you will probably know you have a puncture before the system tells you. (It was one of the reasons I bought the Zumo though). Also there is no temperature sensor and they are expensive. I was looking at some alternatives and found a product from Steelmate made in the UK. I have ordered a wireless on that simultaneously shows both front and rear pressures and monitors temp. for £99 which is a good bit less than buying the Garmin sensors which apparently keep disconnecting.
Will post when I see if they are any good.
http://www.steel-mate.co.uk/acatalo...re-Pressure-Monitoring-System-412.html#SID=46
I have had the Steelmate for about a year now they work just fine i got mine with internal and external sensors (tubed and tubless tires) not sure about being made in the UK ?? I got mine from China I think of the Tom Top site for unde $150 AU delivered.They say you can set temp and voltage, good luck with that you actually have to press the button for volts (but I have a dash voltmeter anyway) . It cycles front to back with a green led showing what tire the pressure reading is for. They read a little high, they do come up with a red led when pressure drops and stop cycling front to back. Its fairly easy to swapp sensors on the display, depending if I am running tubes or not. You cant set the pressure range of front OR back, you can only set a pressure range for front AND back as the alarm point, but for most pressere ranges they are fine. Seem to work well always works while I am riding I have the display on the windshield cross bar so its close to eye level.

·
Registered
285 Posts
For those of you with pressure monitors on their AT, do you also have steel valve stems?
I'm a bit concerned with the mass of the sensor attached to a rubber tube valve stem at high speeds. That's a lot of force once you're going at high speeds.
Any thoughts?
I agree with your concerns, the system that I have ordered state sensor weight to be 9.6g, now that is a lot of unbalanced weight at 180km/h if you ask me since I do my own static balancing..

I guess the trick here is to weigh the sensor with all its components you add to the valve stem & add equal weight directly opposite the valve stem to counter the difference.

Do not think I would like to balance everything with sensor attached, since it could get lost or stolen.., then you could just remove the added weights & the wheel should return to a perfect balance..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Any thoughts?
I agree with your concerns, the system that I have ordered state sensor weight to be 9.6g, now that is a lot of unbalanced weight at 180km/h if you ask me since I do my own static balancing..

I guess the trick here is to weigh the sensor with all its components you add to the valve stem & add equal weight directly opposite the valve stem to counter the difference.

Do not think I would like to balance everything with sensor attached, since it could get lost or stolen.., then you could just remove the added weights & the wheel should return to a perfect balance..
I agree with the wheel balancing strategy you have. That's not what I'm worried about. I'm worried about failure of the valve stem itself from the force caused by the weight of the sensor attached to it.
I did some looking and the Garmin website even says to only use them with metal valve stems and not with rubber.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts