Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I think some of this stuff has been posted before,

How does everyone find the OEM tyres?

Is it safe to run tubeless tyres with an inner tube? ( I am new to tubed tyres)

Lastly best tyres for mostly road going as finding it hard to find tyres for the rear wheel size.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
77 Posts
quite a few posts on this.

OEM tyres are crap on the road.

Fit Conti TA2's best for mostly tarmac

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've found the OEM tire to work just fine on pavement, gravel, packed dirt, and loose dirt. At highway speeds 75+ mph no issues, in the canyons, not pushing it but still going fast enough to pass cars, no issues. I've not run them in the rain, but running them across snow melt running across wide swaths of pavement, no issues... They work about as well as expected on Tar Snakes and wet paint stripes. Meaning they move around but never scary...

As I stated in a different thread, while they are "okay" for a little bit of everything, I tend to do 50/50 and prefer either a 50/50 tire or the Karoo 3s (some say the Karoo is a 70/30) as they seem to work well for everything I encounter where I ride...

I'm not sure whey it seems the European reports of the tire are so poor compared to the North America reports on the tire...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Danncerdave is spot on.Conti TA 2,s the best for Northern Europe anyway with different types of weather and temperatures.oem,s are dangerous on cold wet roads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've found the OEM tire to work just fine on pavement, gravel, packed dirt, and loose dirt. At highway speeds 75+ mph no issues, in the canyons, not pushing it but still going fast enough to pass cars, no issues. I've not run them in the rain, but running them across snow melt running across wide swaths of pavement, no issues... They work about as well as expected on Tar Snakes and wet paint stripes. Meaning they move around but never scary...

As I stated in a different thread, while they are "okay" for a little bit of everything, I tend to do 50/50 and prefer either a 50/50 tire or the Karoo 3s (some say the Karoo is a 70/30) as they seem to work well for everything I encounter where I ride...

I'm not sure whey it seems the European reports of the tire are so poor compared to the North America reports on the tire...
What are your dot date on tires? Honda is selling AT-s with very old cracked tires here in sweden

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks Margusxx. I had small cracks in my front, but didn't check the date. It didn't occur to me the tire could be 5 years old!

I ordered new tires yesterday, because I wasn't sure the originals would last for an upcoming trip.

·
Administrator
3,298 Posts
Are you sure that is actually the tire date of manufacture code next that I (N?) symbol? I am not so sure it is. I have that same symbol/date on my tires, but was thinking it was something more akin to Snell 2015 than the manufacture date.

My bike is a 2016 model (holdover) and has the following bar on the opposite side, that I took to mean it was manufactured in the 16th week of 2016?

It fits with this info: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

·
Registered
191 Posts
Are you sure that is actually the tire date of manufacture code next that I (N?) symbol? I am not so sure it is.
I have no idea. They aren't US market tires so I figured they'd have different markings. I didn't see any marking like what was in his photo on my tire. I did see the US DOT date code markings as shown in your link on mine though.

·
Administrator
3,298 Posts
I have no idea. They aren't US market tires so I figured they'd have different markings. I didn't see any marking like what was in his photo on my tire. I did see the US DOT date code markings as shown in your link on mine though.
Looking at the symbol further, I was trying to figure out if it was a stylized N or a stylized I, but now I believe it is actually both and represents an I over an N or N over an I. IN? NI? Not sure which either would mean, but I don't believe it is the date of manufacture for the tire.

·
Registered
726 Posts
What are your dot date on tires? Honda is selling AT-s with very old cracked tires here in sweden

That is not a manufacture date code of 2012 in the pictures you attached. Possibly a design date for the tire mould.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks everybody, i will go to garage today and try to sort out real date of manufacturing. Unfortunately this doesn't change the fact that the front tire is worn more than rear and has cracks all around it. Shouldn't be like this on brand new bike.

I googled around little, this sign is "INMETRO" certification, something to do with brazilian weather etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The stock tires are garbage. Yeah i managed to get 11,000 miles on them but they never really gave me confidence. Just change them and move on

·
Administrator
3,298 Posts
Thanks everybody, i will go to garage today and try to sort out real date of manufacturing. Unfortunately this doesn't change the fact that the front tire is worn more than rear and has cracks all around it. Shouldn't be like this on brand new bike.

I googled around little, this sign is "INMETRO" certification, something to do with brazilian weather etc.

No doubt, but it might prove interesting to see if tires of a certain week or range of manufacture are more prone to the problem than others. I have only had mine 4 days. Not long enough for the tires to have any issues yet, but I am not planning to keep them long either. They will likely be gone, before I will keep an eye on them and post if I see similar issues.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am 100% certain that these tires are going around the world from several different manufacturing plants or something. Many people call them crap, but I can barely get them to break traction in the rain unless I dump the clutch in first gear. I've ridden all summer on them and done maneuvers no responsible person would do in the rain and felt full confidence in the tires. They are fun on gravel roads but they don't have quite enough stopping power on dirt to be safe. They are toast after 12,000k and I would replace them with the same thing for road based trips if it wasn't for the allure of the conti trail attack 2 tires that are praised so well here...

·
Administrator
3,298 Posts
I am 100% certain that these tires are going around the world from several different manufacturing plants or something. Many people call them crap, but I can barely get them to break traction in the rain unless I dump the clutch in first gear. I've ridden all summer on them and done maneuvers no responsible person would do in the rain and felt full confidence in the tires. They are fun on gravel roads but they don't have quite enough stopping power on dirt to be safe. They are toast after 12,000k and I would replace them with the same thing for road based trips if it wasn't for the allure of the conti trail attack 2 tires that are praised so well here...

I don’t disagree with you. I have only had mine 4 days, but the first day I had it, I took it for a spirited ride through a couple canyons and passes. I got dumped on while riding home through those same canyons and passes, and never did the tires show any signs of losing traction, even while leaned over and definitely north of the posted speed limit.

They obviously wouldn’t be my first choice of tires, if I was paying for them, but I like them far better than the Metzler Tourance EXP’s I had as OEM on a Tiger XC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got my tires spinning on 3th and 4th gear with passenger on my back. Passenger about 50kg and tarmac wasnt even properly wet, just few drops on it.
Couple of days later on mountains i got tires screaming and spinning solo, first to 3rd gear. No clutch popping, just powerslide. Probably european and us market tires are very different. Fortunately it was dry weather 3000 km until home but i was ready to buy and change tires as soon as it starts to rain. Carpathians are pretty dangerous on "ice"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts