Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
What tyre do you recommand for 70% road and 30% dirt ?

I am riding now with the Pirelli Rally STR - I think they are dirt oriented....

Thanks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
What is your exact experience with those rallye str?
The rally str is a 70/30 tire so look so further. I’ve had the, for a week and super happy. Very good on dry road, you can turn till the edge, haven’t had much rain yet but have heard very good things. Handles gravel and hard dirt easily and with confidence, in mud it moves around a bit but depends how muddy it is or if clay. Doesn’t seem to like larger loose rocks but I had road pressure so ofc the tire was a bit hard on rocks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is your exact experience with those rallye str?
The str are good, but i feel like they are a slightly noisy....just slightly.
the ride is very good on road, and on tight trails that i ride.
It took me a certain time to get used to them after a pure road tyres....they feel a little different in the beginning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rally str is a 70/30 tire so look so further. I’ve had the, for a week and super happy. Very good on dry road, you can turn till the edge, haven’t had much rain yet but have heard very good things. Handles gravel and hard dirt easily and with confidence, in mud it moves around a bit but depends how muddy it is or if clay. Doesn’t seem to like larger loose rocks but I had road pressure so ofc the tire was a bit hard on rocks.
I think the str supposed to be 50/50.....not 70/30....
Is it not ?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Is it not ?
I think for 50/50 it would have to be a bit more aggressive, larger gaps and deeper ruts. Maybe it's a 60/40 at best. I would say the Scorpion Rally is between a 50/50 to 30/70. Then the Pirelli MT21 is like a 10/90 tire.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Is it not ?
No the STR is basically a road tire built for good on road performance and with a tread pattern that will handle gravel roads. They are quite easy to puncture on rocky surfaces. I would put them at a 70/30 onroad/offroad at the very best maybe an 80/20.

As somebody else has mentioned look at the Shinko 705 as a 70/30 that has good grip and quiet, or if you want slightly more off road the Shinko 804/805 I think the STR sits with those two options. A 50/50 tire is more like the Motoz GPS or Adventure if you look at how much tougher the casing is on those and how deep the tread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No the STR is basically a road tire built for good on road performance and with a tread pattern that will handle gravel roads. They are quite easy to puncture on rocky surfaces. I would put them at a 70/30 onroad/offroad at the very best maybe an 80/20.

As somebody else has mentioned look at the Shinko 705 as a 70/30 that has good grip and quiet, or if you want slightly more off road the Shinko 804/805 I think the STR sits with those two options. A 50/50 tire is more like the Motoz GPS or Adventure if you look at how much tougher the casing is on those and how deep the tread.
Where would you put the Pirelli Scorpion MT90 ?
(onroad/offroad)?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would go with a 70/30 or 80/20 road/dirt on the rear and a 50/50 on the front. I've tried a few combinations. Right now I'm running a Shinko 705 rear with an 804 front. Got a set of Scorpion Rally that I'm going to mount when these wear out. Got them cheap so when the rear wears out I'll probably go back to the Shinko. I'm riding on both paved and gravel back roads.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did you use them ??
How are they ?
and some estimation onroad/offroad.....

Have had them on for about 600 miles now and love them, great in the dry and I definitely have more confidence with them in the wet over the OEM tat, no issues at all. Don't really notice any excessive noise from them either, although i always wear plugs anyway. They are rated and sold as a sport touring tyre with off-road ability with a 70/30 ratio. I haven't been off road with them yet but i'm sure they'll cope well with my requirements, nothing too extreme.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...d-metzeler-karoo-street-adventure-tyre-review

·
Registered
504 Posts
I now have 52k on my 2016 AT , I have tried a lot of different tires from very aggressive knobby tires to street only tires. The one tire that’s the perfect do all tire, continental TK70. This tire has its limits just like any other tire on the market.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm running the Shinko 804/805 combo and have a 4 day trip planned at the end of the week. Looking at 70/30 dirt and gravel to pavement. Will give you my impressions when I'm done but I like the Idea of the 804 up front and the 705 in the back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just back from 5k mile road trip, Washington to Minnesota on mostly two lanes.

I have been using Continental Trail Attack 2 after the factory original. My riding is 95/5 road/gravel and that tire works well for me, good feel and works without surprises in dry and wet, and especially when I can get 10+k miles on the rear. The center uses a harder compound. Last winter I converted to tubeless using 3M seal and tape. $40 does four tires. No problems over 10K road miles this year. I did fit TPMS long ago. Worth the $50 for peace of mind.

However, on that last trip my rear was not going to get me home. All I could find to fit in Montana last week without waiting was a set of Michelin Anakee Adventure. Fitted expertly by Bike Shack in Bozeman (406 556-4644) for $391.

Round and black, whines more on highway than the Continentals, got me home and maybe they will temp me off road more.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have installed the Anakee Adventures that came out in January, and like them on the pavement and the gravel where the opportunity has arisen. Taking a 2 day Adventure Off-Road training this weekend, so maybe will have something else to report next week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just loaded up the Michelin Anakee Wilds. Work really well. They did get a little chewed up on some of hard-sharp rocks we got into but I think they are fine

1 - 19 of 19 Posts