Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to tell the dealer what replacement tyres to fit at the 8k service. So I'm after some recommendations as I have got a bit confused reading the various threads. (Interestingly the dealer has said today that 'the OEM spec tyres are not available' - and we're talking about a month away)
I was very happy with Pilot Road 3 and 4s on my NC 750X and they dealt very well with the generally cold wet roads of a UK winter and Spring. But I'm not doing a tubeless conversion so some tyres that behave like the PRs would be good. I don't need big mileage out of them as I get them changed by the dealer routinely at the 8k services (saves my time if not my money). I have concluded that I am very unlikely to take the bike off road.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Mike, Conti TA2 have been recommended on various threads on this site and seem to inspire a good level of confidence in the wet which the OEM Dunlop don't for me. I'm coming up to my 8k service as well and will probably go with them. One other thing I have had the misfortune of experiencing was a 60mph puncture on the front tyre the other day. Nothing found in the tyre and the tube looks like it has split rather than been punctured. My point is to maybe get the tubes changed at same time.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike, Conti TA2 have been recommended on various threads on this site and seem to inspire a good level of confidence in the wet which the OEM Dunlop don't for me. I'm coming up to my 8k service as well and will probably go with them. One other thing I have had the misfortune of experiencing was a 60mph puncture on the front tyre the other day. Nothing found in the tyre and the tube looks like it has split rather than been punctured. My point is to maybe get the tubes changed at same time.
Thanks GasMan - that's a good idea
Mike

·
Registered
790 Posts
+1 for the Continental TA2. I rode through some horrendous weather in France and the tyres performed superbly. That instil such confidence that I can't see any other option doing any better.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I changed to conti ta2 when I purchased bike and I drive on wet greasy roads a lot.so far I'm extremely happy with them.good idea with the tubes.

·
Registered
475 Posts
TKC 80s. Good on gravel and stick well on cold or dry pavement. 5,000km on the rear riding on all surfaces and recently in 38C temps. - it should go 8,000km. Can't say much about wet traction until rainy season arrives.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'll be doing the same when the Dunlops wear a bit more. For pure road use, I doubt that the Conti TA2 can be beaten on the AT. It'll cope with a bit of hard packed gravel - if your off-roading, like mine, doesn't extend beyond the occasional access track to a remote campsite, then it will be a great choice. Here in the UK, we don't have miles of gravel roads to play on, unfortunately.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Conti TA2's on mine currently and seem great - in South Wales UK seem to have a permanent rain cloud over where ever I ride and tyres cope very well, more grip and feel with less following of banding in roads than the OEM dunlops.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts