Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried out any of the proprietary sealants in the AT tubes? I am looking at a fairly long road trip and s considering them with a view to avoiding punctures. I would not be comfortable with removing a wheel at the side of the road or waiting forever for roadside assistance.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My view - not shared by all - Slime and tubes will not help avoid punctures nor extend riding very far if you do have a puncture.

Once a nail or screw etc gets through the tire enough to puncture the tube, or you are unlucky enough to have a Tubeless tyre with heavy internal ribs that wears through the tube, or you've re-used and old tube that creased and now has a leak -- Slime etc may slow the leak but won't stop it.

The tube keeps moving within the tire which continues to 'work' the leaking area. Further, now you have a tube you cannot patch and a tire lined with goop you have to clean up before inserting a new tube.

Best to check your tires for cuts, debris etc every gas stop and check pressures daily when on a long trip.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
I know some folks who swear by Ride-On TPS, but I have never pulled the trigger on trying it yet. I may have to one day, just so I can give a first hand report.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi all!

Beside the relatively high price I guess it's not wrong to fill Slime into the tires in advance. If it will not help it will not harm. Beside that I'm with black99S: it's always good to remove the part (nail, etc.) which makes the puncture before riding further.

I'm doing an enduro trip with my Dominator 500 in Romania and I'm going to fill the tires with Slime upfront the ride. As an alternative you could have some seal&inflate with you and if a puncture happens you could try your luck with this product.

As a long term solution the best and most expensive would be to go for tubeless rims (Kineo, Alpina ason).

Cheers, gerhard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts