Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been out in some torrential rain, tried a couple of emergency stops after warming the tyres up and the ABS didn't even kick in, stopped on a dime. Took it down some winding country roads with gravel, tree branches, cow **** etc. again no problem. Was all ready to fit new tyres before my 1st ride on the bike after reading some of the posts, but have full confidence in the tyres now!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm thinking that there must have been a dodgy early batch of the OEM tyres because a lot of people agree with you. Or maybe it is down to different road surfaces: here in Australia the road surface has a much harder, almost glazed character because it does not have to deal with wet weather so often as the roads in Europe. So when it does rain here, the roads become more slippery. Whatever the reason, the OEMs on my early 2016 AT let go on me without warning. And FWIW, my Street Triple - shod in Metzelers - will get me round that same bend almost knee-down in the wet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mines a 2017 just over 3500 miles on it now and the Dunlops are not at all good in the wet or damp. Back wheel can lock up when gently braking, slide even on minimum throttle acceleration. Tyres still look like they are brand new dead smooth. Coming off this month as i can't put up with it as winter approaches.

·
Administrator
3,329 Posts
Bizzare, don't know whats going on then?

Me either. Different compounds for different markets/geographic locations?

I have said it before, that the OEM Dunlop’s are not a tire that I would buy again, spending my own money on them (yes, I know I did technically spend my own money on them when I purchased the bike), but they have been more than adequate on dry roads, wet roads and some light dirt and gravel. They have done as well as I would expect for 95/5 tire. I like them a whole lot better than a tire like the Metzler NEXT or EXP, which I also would never spend my own money on.

Would it have been nice if it came with a Metzler Tourance, Anakee III, Pirelli MT 90 or similar? Sure, but they aren’t the worst OEM tires I have ridden either :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
41 Posts
OEM Tires for sale $100

For all that are happy with the OEM tires, I have a set with 600 miles. I live in Fremont CA, if you would like to come pick up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Got 6k out of my Dunlop's but not going into winter with them. Fine in the dry. Conti TA2 booked in for Thursday before a little trip to Luxembourg. Will be trying out the Batzen adjustable screen as well.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I also got 6000 miles on my OEM tires. They worked very good on dry pavement about average on wet pavement. Off road the worked very good on hard surfaces the softer surfaces you better pay attention . The current tire I'm now using is the continental TKC 70 front & rear love these tires in all conditions.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm thinking that there must have been a dodgy early batch of the OEM tyres because a lot of people agree with you. Or maybe it is down to different road surfaces: here in Australia the road surface has a much harder, almost glazed character because it does not have to deal with wet weather so often as the roads in Europe. So when it does rain here, the roads become more slippery. Whatever the reason, the OEMs on my early 2016 AT let go on me without warning. And FWIW, my Street Triple - shod in Metzelers - will get me round that same bend almost knee-down in the wet.
I think they are very temp sensitive, they are good on hot roads not so good on hot wet roads friggan lethal on cold wet roads. I run 3 sets of tires on the bike and have had several major tank slappers on the highway in wet and cold conditions. Now I just watch to see the pressures come up once you are moving, if they come up all is fine if they stay down and its wet they are very slippery.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yeah but they are tubeless
So is virtually every one out there that comes in the AT size, just keep the tube with your tubeless tyre. Many tyre manufacturers support a tube in a tubeless tyre. Loads and loads of threads on here about tyres and tires! Use the search bar to pick them up. You can usually find pros and cons about every brand, I fancied the TKC70 but was put off by some negative comments on front end stability.

Reactions: Mushroom

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just got a set of shinko 705s and I have to say that I am pretty impressed with them so far. For a tyre that costs about half of a pirrelli or continental here in Australia it has so far blown me away with how well the bike handles with them. Don't know about tread life yet but so far they appear to me to be a great low cost tyre.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think they are very temp sensitive, they are good on hot roads not so good on hot wet roads friggan lethal on cold wet roads. I run 3 sets of tires on the bike and have had several major tank slappers on the highway in wet and cold conditions. Now I just watch to see the pressures come up once you are moving, if they come up all is fine if they stay down and its wet they are very slippery.
I have a 2017 AT with Dunlop Trailmax D610 WITH 4000 kMS on and it is always loosing traction during initial acceleration and during braking, especially in winding roads the ABS is always chirping in. I live in southern Portugal where the temperatures during the day are mostly on the early 30`s Celsius. The road surfaces here are quite smooth but I feel that at least the back tyre needs to go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts