Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Hey Gcc. Welcome to the Forum.

I don't know about "best", however, I am currently using Bridgestone A41 Battlax for on road duties and so far I have been very satisfied. I would not suggest them for off road use.

·
Super Moderator
1,698 Posts
Hi and welcome,
Good question, I usually go for 50/50’s myself...

·
Super Moderator
1,423 Posts
Best 100% road-based tire is a tough question because, with the AT, you are going to find the 18" rear is a limitation. Normally I would say Michelin Pilot Road 5 (100%) or Pilot Road 5 Trail (90%/10%) but you won't find the sizes you need.

For the AT, if you are really looking for a 100% road/touring tire, your options may be Continental Trail Atttack 3, Bridgestone Battleax A41 mentioned by DT, Metzler ME88, Avon A71, Pirelli Scorpion Trail II, and The Pirelli Scorpion Trail Dual Sport at 95/5%. Those at least all come in 150/70 18".

If you are willing to go a little more into the 80/20 range, add the Michelin Anakee Adventure, Karoo Street

I am really liking the Trailmax Mission Tire on my bike so far. For a 50/50 tire, they ride like an 80/20 on the street.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
...The Pirelli Scorpion Trail Dual Sport at 95/5%.
Wow, Pirelli is really splittin' hairs with that 5% thing.

I find 90/10 even too fine for a tire. 80/20 is more perceptible.

... I am really liking the Trailmax Mission Tire on my bike so far. For a 50/50 tire, they ride like an 80/20 on the street.
I am looking forward to that day.

·
Super Moderator
1,423 Posts
Wow, Pirelli is really splittin' hairs with that 5% thing.

I find 90/10 even too fine for a tire. 80/20 is more perceptible.

I am looking forward to that day.

I know right? I think Michelin is the same with the Pilot Road 5 Trail. I believe that is also marketed as a "95/5" tire. The same goes for the Metzler Tourance EXP.

You wonder if there is really any appreciable change in the Trail or EXP to make it a 5% off-road, or if it's just marketing to say they designed it as a road tire for adventure bikes. I am guessing the latter.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I know right? I think Michelin is the same with the Pilot Road 5 Trail. I believe that is also marketed as a "95/5" tire. The same goes for the Metzler Tourance EXP.

You wonder if there is really any appreciable change in the Trail or EXP to make it a 5% off-road, or if it's just marketing to say they designed it as a road tire for adventure bikes. I am guessing the latter.
Maybe it just boils down to the tire compound, and not much in regards to the tread design. But, still ...

·
Super Moderator
1,423 Posts
I think you are correct that it's just the compound. Tread looks the same to me on both the Pilot Road 5 and Road 5 Trail. Probably just a slight mix.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Best fully road based tyres?
Just fitted a pair of continental trail attak3. These are 100% road tyres and have transformed my bike in the 500miles I have done since switching from the oe Dunlop’s.
you’re limited with the 21 inch wheel on road biased tyres.

Barry

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm on my 2nd pair of Conti TKC70. Great tyre. I never go off road altho they're supposedly something like an 80/20. Ask 10 riders and you're likely to get a fair few differing opinions. What did you ride before the AT ? What type of rider are you?
I came to the AT from a GSA. I've had Tourance, Trail Attack 2, A40/41 and Michelin PS4. To be honest I didn't notice a huge difference between any of them but really did feel happy with the TKC hence re-buying them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's funny! I use the Road Attack on my Apriliia Tuono cause I hate putting tires on every 3K miles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts