Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Tyres

6K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Cuchulainn 
#1 ·
Best fully road based tyres?

#4 ·
Best 100% road-based tire is a tough question because, with the AT, you are going to find the 18" rear is a limitation. Normally I would say Michelin Pilot Road 5 (100%) or Pilot Road 5 Trail (90%/10%) but you won't find the sizes you need.

For the AT, if you are really looking for a 100% road/touring tire, your options may be Continental Trail Atttack 3, Bridgestone Battleax A41 mentioned by DT, Metzler ME88, Avon A71, Pirelli Scorpion Trail II, and The Pirelli Scorpion Trail Dual Sport at 95/5%. Those at least all come in 150/70 18".

If you are willing to go a little more into the 80/20 range, add the Michelin Anakee Adventure, Karoo Street

I am really liking the Trailmax Mission Tire on my bike so far. For a 50/50 tire, they ride like an 80/20 on the street.

#5 ·
...The Pirelli Scorpion Trail Dual Sport at 95/5%.
Wow, Pirelli is really splittin' hairs with that 5% thing.

I find 90/10 even too fine for a tire. 80/20 is more perceptible.

... I am really liking the Trailmax Mission Tire on my bike so far. For a 50/50 tire, they ride like an 80/20 on the street.
I am looking forward to that day.

#10 ·
I'm on my 2nd pair of Conti TKC70. Great tyre. I never go off road altho they're supposedly something like an 80/20. Ask 10 riders and you're likely to get a fair few differing opinions. What did you ride before the AT ? What type of rider are you?
I came to the AT from a GSA. I've had Tourance, Trail Attack 2, A40/41 and Michelin PS4. To be honest I didn't notice a huge difference between any of them but really did feel happy with the TKC hence re-buying them.

#17 ·
Sorry to hijack the tire thread (though I do have a set of Missions and really like them), I saw you mentioned Rollins Pass. I went up Rollins Pass to get it for the Rever Pass Bagger Challenge, but from Rollinsville you can't get any further than the East Portal and that didn't trigger the POI. I am assuming I need to instead head up Corona Pass from the Winter Park side to reach the POI?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.