Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it just me... Why is an oil change on a ATAS DCT around the same price has my truck?
Been getting this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tusk-Honda...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Tho lately been thinking of going back to my Mobil1 Racing 4T Motorcycle Full Synthetic
Never really priced out the difference by getting them separate, but I usually prefer to have everything but the oil on hand and usually get 6-8 filters at a time when I order them, lol just got a pack of 100 crush washers for the plugs a while back, found a great deal (at the time) on a pack of 10 and ordered a few...

Well doesn’t really matter at the moment. This morning I ordered that kit above, I’ve got from them before and for me the shipment come pretty quick and it is really convenient. Tho I do have to find just both the filters at a good price and order a few of each. Yea I know Honda recommends changing the DCT filter every other oil change, but what the **** gotta change the other one so I figure it can’t hurt to have a new clean better flowing filter there to. Even if it is overkill... But a lot of time I do ride like there is a axe murder chasing me. So I do usually change my oil sooner then recommend too..

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not sure what you mean. I see five quarts of oil and a filter, which is the traditional amount for cars. It's going to be about the same price, assuming it's comparable oil and correct for the vehicle.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not sure what you mean. I see five quarts of oil and a filter, which is the traditional amount for cars. It's going to be about the same price, assuming it's comparable oil and correct for the vehicle.
Lol sorry, I guess more to the point yes FIVE quarts the same as a car engine but 1/4 the size...
Just seems like a lot of oil for a small engine even considering the oil needed for the DCT..

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
The lump hides the five quite well. Thankfully that the Honda recommended change schedule is long. That inspires bonus confidence in the design.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Manual is 5.2 quarts at disasembly.

DCT is 5.5 quarts at disasembly.

That is a ton of oil....but it does share with gearbox, so there's that too.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Manual is 5.2 quarts at disasembly.

DCT is 5.5 quarts at disasembly.

That is a ton of oil....but it does share with gearbox, so there's that too.
Yes, so do all bikes, unless you were referring to the valves for the DCT. Even that addition to the right had side of the case is not that big. Lol we’re talking almost 10 pounds of oil for a two cylinder 998cc. LOL but I guess that 10lbs mostly hanging around the lower part of the engine would help lower the center of gravity :grin2:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Not all bikes. My previous were older Harleys, so getting off those and onto the AT, it was a bit different. Only point I was making was reiterating just how much oil is in there... Alot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not all bikes. My previous were older Harleys, so getting off those and onto the AT, it was a bit different. Only point I was making was reiterating just how much oil is in there... Alot.
ON my old HDs it would be close to 7qts if you changed all 3 holes (motor, primary, tranny).

·
Registered
534 Posts
ON my old HDs it would be close to 7qts if you changed all 3 holes (motor, primary, tranny).
Yeah....before checking the specs on the AT, I was just surprised as all that there was that much. I think the super tenere uses about 3.5 quarts.... About the same as a ktm 1290 SA

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yea forgot all about HD and their setups. But still for the vast majority of bikes it’s more than the average...
But then I did just come from the pinnacle of cheapness a KLR650 - oil change $23.00 with filter..

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huh?
So according to Honda:
3.9 L is 4.1 u.s. qt.
And
4.0L is 4.2 u.s. qt
But
4.8 L is magically 3.9 u.s. qt’s
Is this some kinda more for less thing? I thought it was more like 5.07 u.s. qt’s but what do I know..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
Huh?
So according to Honda:
3.9 L is 4.1 u.s. qt.
And
4.0L is 4.2 u.s. qt
But
4.8 L is magically 3.9 u.s. qt’s
Is this some kinda more for less thing? I thought it was more like 5.07 u.s. qt’s but what do I know..
My Owner's Manual does not indicate that. Your reference appears to be a print error. 5.1 U.S. quarts (4.8L) is the correct amount following full disassembly of the engine.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Owner's Manual does not indicate that. Your reference appears to be a print error. 5.1 U.S. quarts (4.8L) is the correct amount following full disassembly of the engine.
That was from Honda’s online (PDF) version of the manual. Need to dig out my copy that came with the bike, it’s probably correct like yours. But just thought it was a bit amusing >:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Lol sorry, I guess more to the point yes FIVE quarts the same as a car engine but 1/4 the size...
Just seems like a lot of oil for a small engine even considering the oil needed for the DCT..
Shared sump bikes are harder on oil than cars and tend to shear it out of grade quickly.

A large oil volume is probably necessary to achieve the long oil change interval Honda wants.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea, just me overdramatizing the obvious...I would assume they had a good reason to do it, other than to sell oil..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts