Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Trying to get my Honda dealer, or indeed Honda UK themselves to acknowledge that a high and low seat option exists is proving to be a nightmare

Starting to infuriate me hugely

If they don't come back to me tomorrow I'm cancelling the order!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
460 Posts
Out of idle curiosity I thought I’d spec an AT up to what you would also want on a BMW 1200 GS (by 1200 GS I mean their basic model with options added). It’s difficult to do an exact match because of their packs but here goes:

AT with DCT, travel pack, 12V socket and heated grips is £12,675. (I don’t need or want fog-lights so haven’t added the whole comfort pack)

The base 1200 GS with quick-shifter and heated grips is £12,800. I’m pretty sure that my local dealer will give me the panniers and top box as part of the deal at the moment. Possibly even sat-nav…

Notwithstanding the fact that Honda seem to be extracting the p*ss with their accessory prices (e.g. heated grips twice the price of a Yamaha Tracer and £100 more than BMW... ) you’d imagine the Honda has some hidden benefits:

1. Not everyone has one
2. The paint shouldn’t peel off the engine / drivetrain
3. The suspension shouldn’t go wrong and be recalled
4. The final drive disintegration won’t happen
5. It shouldn’t break down as often
6. You can have DCT if you want (as opposed to a quick-shifter)
7. It’s more economical (certainly to service but possibly to fuel)
8. Better off-road

But maybe a few negatives:

1. It’s a bit slower on the road
2. It’s not so good on the road (contentious but not sure yet…)
3. It has tubed tyres (sorry, my pet peeve…)
4. Less accessory choice for the time being

Of course no-one buys a basic GS but it makes you realise that Honda are charging pretty much top whack for their new buggy.

Not a criticism I hasten to add – just some musings I thought I’d share.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Trying to get my Honda dealer, or indeed Honda UK themselves to acknowledge that a high and low seat option exists is proving to be a nightmare

Starting to infuriate me hugely

If they don't come back to me tomorrow I'm cancelling the order!
I think it's the type of situation that requires a higher up authority to let them know. If you mention a 'forum' they might not take it seriously.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So Honda UK have this morning released option information and pricing to the dealer networks........... however, they can't confirm that if I went for a £300 high seat - whether I also retain the standard seat. Is it one or the other? If I bought the high version at a later date do they expect the standard one back? How does it work? It's like pulling teeth!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Out of idle curiosity I thought I’d spec an AT up to what you would also want on a BMW 1200 GS (by 1200 GS I mean their basic model with options added). It’s difficult to do an exact match because of their packs but here goes:

AT with DCT, travel pack, 12V socket and heated grips is £12,675. (I don’t need or want fog-lights so haven’t added the whole comfort pack)

The base 1200 GS with quick-shifter and heated grips is £12,800. I’m pretty sure that my local dealer will give me the panniers and top box as part of the deal at the moment. Possibly even sat-nav…

Notwithstanding the fact that Honda seem to be extracting the p*ss with their accessory prices (e.g. heated grips twice the price of a Yamaha Tracer and £100 more than BMW... ) you’d imagine the Honda has some hidden benefits:

1. Not everyone has one
2. The paint shouldn’t peel off the engine / drivetrain
3. The suspension shouldn’t go wrong and be recalled
4. The final drive disintegration won’t happen
5. It shouldn’t break down as often
6. You can have DCT if you want (as opposed to a quick-shifter)
7. It’s more economical (certainly to service but possibly to fuel)
8. Better off-road

But maybe a few negatives:

1. It’s a bit slower on the road
2. It’s not so good on the road (contentious but not sure yet…)
3. It has tubed tyres (sorry, my pet peeve…)
4. Less accessory choice for the time being

Of course no-one buys a basic GS but it makes you realise that Honda are charging pretty much top whack for their new buggy.

Not a criticism I hasten to add – just some musings I thought I’d share.
I think you need to redo the comparison using a non DCT bike. That adds a premium that the BMW doesn't have or offer. (IMO)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think you need to redo the comparison using a non DCT bike. That adds a premium that the BMW doesn't have or offer. (IMO)
BMW's quick shifter permits but does not require clutchless shifting (after first gear start off) both up and down (with engine speed blipping on the down shifts) so the comparison with an AT-DCT isn't too far off. If the AT had an optional foot shift lever, they would be even closer.

Not that I disagree about Honda charging top whack for the AT and accessories, but Yromulus' hope that a BMW dealer would include saddlebags and maybe sat-nav gratis is changing the rules. Why not hope the Honda dealer would throw in the travel pack for nothing and keep the comparison more equal?

·
Registered
197 Posts
So Honda UK have this morning released option information and pricing to the dealer networks........... however, they can't confirm that if I went for a £300 high seat - whether I also retain the standard seat. Is it one or the other? If I bought the high version at a later date do they expect the standard one back? How does it work? It's like pulling teeth!
If you are in doubt, order the bike in standard trim and purchase a high seat separately - preferably after taking possession of the AT and getting a few miles on it. You might find the standard seat acceptable. And if you don't like it, order the high seat from the parts department or aftermarket and you will have both seats for your very own.

When dealers install accessories on new bikes, they don't always give the customer the take-off parts when they deliver the new machine. They should at least offer the take-off parts - most customers wouldn't want them. But, it's to the dealer's advantage to put them into inventory and maybe sell them later. And anyway, they can rationalize that they install the parts "free" on a new bike, so keeping the take-offs is fair.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sorry - only just noticed a couple of guys replied to my musings.

Yes, I thought DCT and gearshift assist pro were sort of similar (but not really!). Judging by most of the @ reviews the DCT is a bit more special though.

Re the panniers and sat nav - the BMW dealer will deffo throws these in but, on preliminary prodding, the UK Honda dealer said once I had settled on the model variant and accessories he would see what he could do - which means nothing probably as it is so new.

Anyway, we all make our choices and pay our money - then think about the next one we're getting...

I'm promised a test ride in early January on a DCT so I'm looking forward to that - especially as we are having a mild winter so far!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts