Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum admins. I would like to keep my original post of thread up to date with information from other users, but it would seem that editing it is no longer possible. Is there a limit on the time a message can be edited ? Why ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm not an administrator and can't answer your questions, but why not just "Quote" or "Reply" to your original post to provide up to date information? The new post will be further down the thread, but at least will be present.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Forum admins. I would like to keep my original post of thread up to date with information from other users, but it would seem that editing it is no longer possible. Is there a limit on the time a message can be edited ? Why ?
If you had unlimited time to edit your post, several people could reply and you could go back and completely change the original subject and the replies might seem completely out of context.

·
Super Moderator
329 Posts
I'll check with the forum gods.. we mods don't have the power to change stuff like that ;)

·
Administrator
251 Posts
Hey all

XR650RRider mentioned one of the reasons there are limits on how long to edit a post. It does make for a very confusing conversation when this happens.

Another reason is sometimes members get upset and go through a 'rage quit' where they edit all their posts to be a single character. This affects conversation, as above, and helpful how-to's can be lost which hurts the rest of the community as well.

Limiting the time allowance on Edits helps keep these issues from coming up.

That said, it was set a little low for this community. I bumped it up to two days.

Dayle

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey all

XR650RRider mentioned one of the reasons there are limits on how long to edit a post. It does make for a very confusing conversation when this happens.

Another reason is sometimes members get upset and go through a 'rage quit' where they edit all their posts to be a single character. This affects conversation, as above, and helpful how-to's can be lost which hurts the rest of the community as well.

Limiting the time allowance on Edits helps keep these issues from coming up.

That said, it was set a little low for this community. I bumped it up to two days.

Dayle
Thanks for the replies. This limitation makes it impossible for "consolidated" first post in threads that are familiar within technology forums. In such threads all the relevant information is continually added to first post which makes it much, much easier for those trying to find facts. There are threads here and advrider that are so long with relevant information buried so deep I should think only a few will ever find. I have a post here that I, and with the contribution of others, would like to continue to refine. Perhaps there is another way to accomplish ? What about a link in post to document ?

·
Administrator
251 Posts
Depending on the severity of the edit desired, you can PM this account and we can see about editing the thread/post ourselves.

What kind of content are you looking to edit?
If the edits are just minor updates, would it make sense to post within the thread and not that it is an update to the OP?

Provide us with an example thread.

Richard.

·
Administrator
251 Posts
Hey @nurber3,

Providing a link to your own site within your thread would be considered as spam so we cannot allow that. However, what we can suggest for you to do is gather all the information from other members input to revise your original post and create a new thread with the updated info (and close the other thread).

Cheers,
Natalie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts