Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced this? My bike has done this since new. 65mph is about 105kph.

It is a difficult to describe noise but here goes. It sounds like a vibration. It is a high frequency noise like the vibrating of a tuning fork. it comes in and out. Probably something like 1 to 2 second intervals. It is a constant sound vibrating in and out, like a washing machine, at speeds around 65mph / 105kph. It does not seem to do it anywhere else in the rev range. I have tried other gears at the same revs, about 4000rpm, and while it is present I don't think I would notice it were I not looking for it. It is most pronounced in 6th gear at around 65mph / 105kph. It sounds like a harmonic resonance inside the motor.

I went to the Honda dealer about it shortly after I purchased the bike. They said they did not hear anything. Not that the sound was normal or anything, they said they could not hear the sound that I said it was making.

I did the first oil change at 600miles and the second at 5000miles. I am going to go forward with a 5000 mile interval. (It's easy that way. Chang oil at 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000 etc.) I noticed quite a bit of metal shavings in the oil at the 5000 mile change. I would say it was borderline excessive. I chocked that up to break in but now thinking back on it I'm not so sure... I wish I had saved the oil. For those who have done a 5000 or 8000 mile service, how did your oil look? It was after this oil change that the vibration noise really started eating at me again.

I now have 5,800 miles. ...And the noise is still present. I ride back roads to and from work, around 130miles round trip every day. The speed limit is 55 most of the way. I run 10 over everywhere I go. So, I like to ride 65. I tried to ignore it for a while. I tried driving 60mph or 70mph, going slower than I want to or risking getting a ticket. This still bothers me.

Is anyone else experiencing this sound?

·
Registered
134 Posts
It could be your helmet. Everything has its own vibrational or resonant frequency. I couldn't ride behind my buddies bike because of this and no one else seemed to hear a problem. try a different helmet never know worth a try.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It could be your helmet. Everything has its own vibrational or resonant frequency. I couldn't ride behind my buddies bike because of this and no one else seemed to hear a problem. try a different helmet never know worth a try.
I actually have considered this and I do have another helmet. I have not tried it yet. I really don't think this could be the problem as it sounds like it is coming from the motor. I will give it a shot this evening and see if it makes a difference. You never know, I have been wrong before. :grin2: You are right, It is worth a try.

So, I take it, this means your bike does not make this sound.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Any chance it's tire noise - have you tried the same speed in 5th gear to see if it's speed related as opposed to RPM related? The other thing is air coming up through the front fork channels maybe making something vibrate. Try blocking that area with something to see. I do not have any type of harmonic vibration on my bike (at least not one I can hear). Good luck finding the cause, and hope it's not engine related.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any chance it's tire noise - have you tried the same speed in 5th gear to see if it's speed related as opposed to RPM related? The other thing is air coming up through the front fork channels maybe making something vibrate. Try blocking that area with something to see. I do not have any type of harmonic vibration on my bike (at least not one I can hear). Good luck finding the cause, and hope it's not engine related.

It's not the tires. The sound is definitely motor related. Whether the engine vibration is resonating with my helmet (I doubt it), resonating with something else harmless, or caused some other motor related issue is the question. The metal in the oil scares me...

If the dealership has to do motor work I will sell the bike. :crying:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don’t think this is the issue you’re having, however I will mention it just in case.

On purchasing my bike I had no vibrations. After its first 600 mile service it was okay for the first 50 miles or so. By now I was touring in Europe and noticed a vibration just above the 4000 rev range, although it did vary without any identifiable consistency. I thought I may have dropped a screw or something as it was emanating from the engine area. Not high-frequency, yet was definitely a vibration (must admit don’t know what a washing machine sounds like at 65mph).:smile2:

I checked the oil and it had been overfilled.

Once I returned to the UK my local Honda dealer identified that it had been overfilled with oil and that was the cause of the vibration/knocking. Strangely they said it wasn’t overfilled by very much at all.

Before you all ask it was serviced by a Honda main dealer at the 600 mile service!>:)

Perfect now

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No one experiences a similar noise?

I am going to cut into my old oil filter tonight to see what I can see.

Someone on ADV Rider;

Suggested the clutch could be the cause of the debris in the oil. I see this as a possibility.

Another said after a quick ride they heard the harmonic sound above 50mph.

Snowbubble, I thought the sound of a washing machine going 65mph would be something everyone could relate to. Hmm, guess I missed the mark there!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I think some people complained of a similar problem on the nc700 forum. An interesting find by one guy was that his rear sprocket was faulty. I think he said the main central hole was off centre
Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My initial reaction was that that was too much metal and way too large of chunks. I am actually surprised there is not more metal in the filter based on the amount of metal I saw suspended in the oil at the change. I have no base of reference for what I should find inside the oil filter as this was the first I've cut open.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, I have heard this on my bike also. I figured it was the tires and didn't really worry about it. You said it came from engine, not tires, but I'm not sure how you could really tell that while riding the bike. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Do you have crash bars? They've been known to vibrate harmonically depending on speed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, I have heard this on my bike also. I figured it was the tires and didn't really worry about it. You said it came from engine, not tires, but I'm not sure how you could really tell that while riding the bike. I wouldn't worry about it.
I am glad to hear that someone else is hearing this same noise. Maybe just a characteristic of the bike.

If I pull in the clutch the noise goes away. If I'm in 5th gear driving 65 mph there is no noise.

Do you have crash bars? They've been known to vibrate harmonically depending on speed.
No crash bars.

Mine was doing the humming yesterday.....all I can do is laugh about it. My GS hums it's own little tune - I figure a hummer every ride is good for the soul.
lol!:laugh:

Update;

Took the AT to the dealer yesterday. Dealer said the oil filter looks normal. I could not get them to ride the bike.
I would have to leave it at the dealer for them to investigate the warranty claim.

I was not willing to leave it for the warranty claim as I would have had to sign a waiver saying that if Honda said it was not a warranty issue that I would have to pay them an inspection fee. Amounts to about $200. The dealer did not do an inspection last time I took it either because of the waver.

I called Honda's warranty customer service number, just as I did last time I brought the bike to the dealer over this issue, and same thing. They were not willing to help.

I am not real happy with Honda right now. There may not being an issue with the bike but having owned many motorcycles it makes a noise I am uncomfortable with. I am a repeat Honda customer. I have really been drinking the Honda Cool-aid. I am sure that I will purchase quite a few more new motorcycles in my lifetime. I don't really understand why Honda would be willing to lose a good customer over $200.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My bike makes the same noise, its normal. Its a resonance that i believe is related to the tires. It seems the engine has a certain harmonic resonant frequency and the tires have their own harmonic frequency and at certain combinations of road speed and engine speed them seem to overlap and amplify each other. I changed tires recently for an off road ride and the noise still occurred but at a different combination of rpm and road speed. When the ride was over and i switched the tires back over the noise returned to its original place.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am glad to hear that someone else is hearing this same noise. Maybe just a characteristic of the bike.

If I pull in the clutch the noise goes away. If I'm in 5th gear driving 65 mph there is no noise.

No crash bars.

lol!:laugh:

Update;

Took the AT to the dealer yesterday. Dealer said the oil filter looks normal. I could not get them to ride the bike.
I would have to leave it at the dealer for them to investigate the warranty claim.

I was not willing to leave it for the warranty claim as I would have had to sign a waiver saying that if Honda said it was not a warranty issue that I would have to pay them an inspection fee. Amounts to about $200. The dealer did not do an inspection last time I took it either because of the waver.

I called Honda's warranty customer service number, just as I did last time I brought the bike to the dealer over this issue, and same thing. They were not willing to help.

I am not real happy with Honda right now. There may not being an issue with the bike but having owned many motorcycles it makes a noise I am uncomfortable with. I am a repeat Honda customer. I have really been drinking the Honda Cool-aid. I am sure that I will purchase quite a few more new motorcycles in my lifetime. I don't really understand why Honda would be willing to lose a good customer over $200.
One cheaper way to see if there is an issue with the motor would be to go on a ride with some people that have not yet heard your concerns with the bike. Somewhere along the trail, do a swap and let them have a ride. When they hop off, quiz them about their thoughts on the bike. To me, if there is a real issue with the engine most astute riders will probably jump off and ask you, "Hey, what's with that humming noise at around..." If they jump off the bike and don't mention it then you know your chasing unicorns...:wink2:

I make no judgement here because I am fully aware that on many occasions I have gone looking for issues that are just not there. I'm sure what your hearing is real, but is it a cause for concern?? It can be a shame because you rob yourself of just enjoying the bike. From Honda's point of view, someone else could have bought your bike and they perhaps would have never heard from them again.

At the end of the day I hope you find a solution and enjoy what I believe is a great package.

Cheers

Wadeo

1 - 20 of 36 Posts