Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Unsafe OEM Dunlop Tyre probs UK?

16K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  cehanska 
#1 ·
Hi guys, i'm new to the forum so be gentle with me.
I bought a new CRF1000 in March, it is a great machine I love it, it is amazing and agile, well balanced and brilliant, the only down side is the tyre choice by Honda, lots of people have commented on the Dunlop trailmax issues, we all know they are a problem, it's written across loads of forums, reviews and internet coverage and yet Honda UK just don't get it.

They say that if people complain enough they will look into it... The UK Honda No to use is 0800 521 728

I asked them last week how many complaints they have had about the rear tyre skitting out and not being grippy enough in damp and wet, they denied they have had ANY !!!
Really?? They refused to comment further on the well documented issues, merely adopting a company line that all machines are rigorously tested, I did state that I am sure that they rigorously tested a particular set of tyres, but as we all know with Formula 1 last year tyre problems can and do exist with ANY manufacturer, I also reminded them of the Pan European ST1300 where people were experiencing tank slapping problems that ultimately ended badly for some people and the fore-runner to the Honda VFR 750, The VF V4.
We also had a wee chat about the spoke issues and wheels on the brand new models of the Africa Twin CRF1000's that were also rigorously tested no doubt, but still the corporate answers kept coming.
The answer was:-

Thank you for recently contacting Honda (UK) in relation to the tyres supplied on your CRF1000AH , I was sorry to hear of the concerns that you have in relation to the safety of the tyres.

I can confirm that the Front tyre - Dunlop trialmax d610 F 909021 and Rear - trialmax d610 150 17r18 are fitted with this model across Europe and are the only option available when purchasing the bike from new. Honda have undertaken extensive research and testing to ensure that the tyres are suitable for this model and do not consider the tyres to be at fault or unsuitable in any way. I can also confirm that we have not had extensive complaints regarding these tyres resulting in us carrying out any further investigation into their suitability.

All complaints of this nature are logged here and passed on to our technical and development teams, I will also pass your comments relating to offering alternative tyres for road users to our product planning team.

Thank you for your feedback and thank you for contacting Honda (UK).

WE ALL KNOW THAT THESE DUNLOP TYRES MAY BE BRILLIANT ON CERTAIN SURFACES BUT AS A ROAD BIKE IN DAMP OR WET CONDITIONS THEY HAVE BEEN NOTED BY AFRICA TWIN RIDERS TO BE LESS THAN REASSURING, SHOULD WE ASA COMMUNITY WAIT UNTIL SOMEONE GETS HURT?
If you've had a problem then call and complain on 0800 521 728

See less See more
#2 ·
Or just bite the bullet and change them.....I did from new as I knew how shite they were. Honda do have an option at point of purchase, but you have to ask for the knobbly type tyres to be fitted and most salesmen probably aren't even aware of this.
My dealer did me a deal on swopping the oe Craplops as I wanted neither oe options on my bike.

#13 ·
What is the other OE option that you didn't want Davy, was it also a tubed tyre? I've not heard of this obligation before, are you sure? A dealer might throw in different tyres "seen to be free" just hidden under a bike discount of course.

#3 ·
Hello

I am concerned about this as I am a new rider and this is my 1st bike. I am in the UK and my bike is being delivered on 1st Sept. I have time to ask for a different set of tyres to be fitted before delivery. Is this really necessary as I wont be taking the bike to its limits? I do want to be confident on wet roads as well it is England!

#6 ·
There are a couple of threads on this site regarding the OEM tyres. Some people think they are OK, others - like me - thought they were shite. It wasn't a real concern for me because I'm in Australia, mostly on the dirt, and I swapped them for 60/40 dirt/road tyres anyway. But for the short time that they were on the bike I was not impressed. As an experienced biker, the problem I had with them was that although they feel fine and handle OK in the wet, they had the tendency to let go without warning if pushed. But if you are not taking the bike to its limits, maybe that won't matter. Personally I'd put something else on because IMO there are a lot better tyres out there (there is a thread here somewhere on it), and even if you don't plan on pushing it, it's always nice to have that little bit of performance in reserve...just in case.

#7 ·
... dealer is obliged to swop at zero expense to the customer...? Really
My dealer gave me a discount on new TKC80's and I was obliged to take the OEM tyres home as dealer had no use for them and no channel to sell them.

Tire threads are like oil threads - love and hate abounds. Check out DR650 and other forums - Bridgestone Trailwings are referred to as Deathwings, yet I've watched skilled riders with them leave many guys far behind on all road and trail conditions.

#8 ·
I have decided that buying an Africa Twin is like buying a stock 4-wheel drive pickup truck, the truck is supplied from the factory to be acceptable to as many different owners as possible. I put a little over 1000 miles on the stock tires and I thought that they were fine on hard packed dirt roads and pavement and they seemed Ok in the rain, when I put them in loose material or cornered hard in the rain then they broke loose easily. I just changed to TKC 80's and my off-road performance is better but I'm sure that they won't be as good in the rain. I'm configuring my bike from a middle of the road bike to an off road performance bike, some other guys will configure their bikes for better on road performance. This bike definitely needs to be configured to each riders individual type of riding preference.

#9 ·
There is a youtuber, username "schaaf". He has uploaded hundreds of videos over the years of spirited riding in the mountains on many different bikes that he gets from friends or press review bikes, etc. Well he finally crashed and it was on the africa twin of all bikes. He was banged up pretty bad and left hospital missing some vital organs and he will never be able to ride the same again. So yes somebody has gotten hurt and as I don't personally know anyone who can ride equal to him I put a lot of suspicion on the tires.

#12 ·
Unsafe tyres or unsafe riding? Every tyre I've ever used has skidded if the bike has been gunned too hard on wet roads. I've still got the OEM tyres - I find them OK for road use but I do make allowances for wet roads. Yes, I'll swap them for Conti TA2s when they wear out as the reviews have persuaded me they'll offer some improvement, but in the meantime I'm not going to worry. If you're planning on a fair bit of off road use, it would certainly be worth exercising the knobbly option at purchase time, but don't expect knobblies to perform as well as the old Dunlops on the road - they won't. If your dealer is happy to throw in a pair of Contis, all well and good, but, personally, I'd haggle for a 12V socket and centre stand first.

#16 ·
I was at dealership one hour ago, apparently swedish honda also doesn't have any complaints about tires even if dealer sent them photos with cracks etc. one big scam. Dealership offered me chance to pick my favourite tires and they will put them on by the end of this week.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I think the "tire swap option" is a Europe only deal.....I asked about it when I bought my bike 8 months ago, and they looked at me like I had more than one screw loose....US dealers and US bikes seem to be shite compared to continental dealers. US bikes get a screw driver for a tool kit, and Korean War surplus indicators, no document bag, and they act like they are doing you a favour by selling you a bike....I am disgusted by my local dealer, CC Powersports, Clarksville , IN.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.