Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2020 ATAS in January 2021. I have taken the bike out on several 300 mile trips and every time I am hit with wind, the front of the bike feels like it is going to flip. I have at least 25 years experience riding street and dirt bikes and I have never experienced such an unsafe feeling. I purchased this bike to ride with my wife. I weigh 210 and she weighs 150. We were told at the dealership the bike could hold our weight and more, but there is such wind resistance and the bike feels so unsafe. We see couples or individuals riding on different bikes and they cut thru the wind no problem. We are trying to figure out if we need to lower or raise the bike or change the tires. Do you have any recommendations? We want to make many trips on this bike but I really need to fix this problem. Any recommendation is appreciated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Interesting... I've come around hills and been hit with gusts of maybe like 35-ish MPH winds from different directions and the AT just ignores it. Have passed semis on two lane highway with us both going 70 MPH and no problem..... I've said the AT is too heavy but that weight works against wind..... mystery

·
Super Moderator
5,761 Posts
Hello @GusDespe, and welcome to the Forum.

I swear somewhere in the Forum (might be a tricky search) a member mentioned an improper suspension set-up. There are many members who are quite knowledgeable in the area of suspension. Maybe they can quote the post, and/or offer a word.

I ride in gusty and windy situations all the time, particularly on freeways. For me the CRF1000L has handled all situations without drama. I have had other bikes that did far worse, as you describe.

In the meantime, feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
331 Posts
I have a 2020 ATAS with the electronic suspension. I have my AT up to 135 by GPS with absolutely NO stability issues. At the time I was 319 pounds without riding gear. So not far off you and the missus. It was rock solid for me at the speed. I probably ran about 6 miles at that speed and encountered some crosswinds, changes in tarmac and it was pretty stress free other than worrying about law enforcement. It was a pretty remote road so little risk there. I wasn't trying to do a top speed run but just pacing a friend on another bike where we were doing some wind testing on it.

I've lost a good 70 pounds since then and I can't see any issues in riding dynamics with respect to stability. Of course, it brakes, accelerates, turns, etc. better.

I would say check your preload and sag for the front and rear. I don't know if you have the ES version or not. Also check the dampening. Try raising and lowering the windscreen. Did you try shifting your weight front or rear a bit.

·
Registered
699 Posts
GusDespe I’d look at suspension and tyre pressure.
Regret I’m not familiar with ATAS and its electronic settings. I ride a 2017.
Regardless, Rear preload is critical to get the bike level and sag set properly. With your weight You should have rear preload cranked up from factory setting.
Check a couple of videos on how to set sag. It’s pretty simple. Then you have a start point.

·
Administrator
3,002 Posts
Mine is a 2019 ATAS model (previously a 2016 AT), my wife's got a 2017 AT, so not much help in direct comparisons to a 2020, though I can't imagine the difference in wind resistance would be that significant?

We have had ours completely loaded for long camping road trips, through some of the windiest states (Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, The Dakotas, Kansas, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, etc.). Never any feelings of the bike being unsteady, unsafe, or unbalanced. I find it much better in the wind than some previous bikes I have owned (Tiger 800XC comes to mind).

@Wavshrdr and @black99S may be on the right track with suspension setup as a culprit.

Edit: Maybe also experiment with different windscreens. I found the OEM windscreen on my Tiger 800XC to be the primary offender. The wind would catch the windscreen and sail the bike.

Edit 2: I had to enlarge your Avatar. It made me do a double-take because it looked strikingly similar to a photo of my brother that he used for his FB Avatar for a while until I enlarged it. :)

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
302 Posts
I purchased a 2020 ATAS in January 2021. I have taken the bike out on several 300 mile trips and every time I am hit with wind, the front of the bike feels like it is going to flip. I have at least 25 years experience riding street and dirt bikes and I have never experienced such an unsafe feeling. I purchased this bike to ride with my wife. I weigh 210 and she weighs 150. We were told at the dealership the bike could hold our weight and more, but there is such wind resistance and the bike feels so unsafe. We see couples or individuals riding on different bikes and they cut thru the wind no problem. We are trying to figure out if we need to lower or raise the bike or change the tires. Do you have any recommendations? We want to make many trips on this bike but I really need to fix this problem. Any recommendation is appreciated.
the only windscreen that worked well on Honda was the one on my XADV 750 the one on my Yamaha ZA 660 Ténéré was rather horrible on windy days yes Honda has a lot of wind tunnel job yet to do on their ADV bikes

·
Registered
102 Posts
Try increasing the rear preload. Does it feel the same when you ride the bike alone and unladen?

·
Registered
605 Posts
14,000 miles on my '20 AS and have yet to encounter any dangerous buffeting. My wife and I are similar weights to you guys. Two up with 50/50 tires I am still comfortable pushing the velocity envelope, even in bad weather. And there has been bad weather. So much bad weather.

The guy in the last photo is holding on to that tarp for dear life. We rode in that wind on soft gravel for an hour. I couldn't help him with the tarp because I was too busy laughing.

You can also zoom in on my wifes eyes in the second picture for a window into her extreme distaste for me in that moment. I guess stopping to take a picture of Muncho Lake at 0° celsius in the wind and rain with hundreds of miles left in the day and no end to the weather in sight was a poor choice.

20200716_194751-01.jpeg

·
Registered
699 Posts
14,000 miles on my '20 AS and have yet to encounter any dangerous buffeting. My wife and I are similar weights to you guys. Two up with 50/50 tires I am still comfortable pushing the velocity envelope, even in bad weather. And there has been bad weather. So much bad weather.

The guy in the last photo is holding on to that tarp for dear life. We rode in that wind on soft gravel for an hour. I couldn't help him with the tarp because I was too busy laughing.

You can also zoom in on my wifes eyes in the second picture for a window into her extreme distaste for me in that moment. I guess stopping to take a picture of Muncho Lake at 0° celsius in the wind and rain with hundreds of miles left in the day and no end to the weather in sight was a poor choice.
View attachment 63023
Thread hijack for sure -- your excellent pics triggered nostalgic memories of a 2009 Midnight Sun trip to Chicken Alaska and home via Tatshenshini and Alaska Marine Ferry.
Will ride it again someday after Covid. Rode it then on a BMW R1200RT - not the best choice for the freshly graded sections of Top-Of-The-World highway to Chicken (Grader scrapes ditch rock back onto road, grade-blades then its trailing multi-wheel packer sort of packs it all in one pass), but it was comfortable to cruise at 160+ riding long sections of the Alaska Highway with a helicopter pilot on his GS1200. The AT would be more appropriate ride at an appropriate pace.
Weather highly variable in July; <5C and dumping rain to Blue River then >30C in Dawson.

Top of the World Highway

Tatshenshini near Haines Summit.

·
Registered
249 Posts
yes Honda has a lot of wind tunnel job yet to do on their ADV bikes
Interesting... so... what if in addition to the Super Seekrit Squirl modes there are even more Seekrit "F" modes? F-(light) 1 mode, F-(light) 2 mode.... et al... stranger things have happened...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Honda will be the first successful manufacturer of air-cycles. Can't wait to see the Mistral, Scirocco, Tornado and, dare I say it, Hurricane. :D

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
79 Posts
... I have taken the bike out on several 300 mile trips and every time I am hit with wind, the front of the bike feels like it is going to flip...
I have feel a scare with sudden strong gusts of cross wind while riding on the highway on the AT, more than with any other bike I had experienced. I guess it is because it’s big profile plus the rider acts like a sail. Just have to be prepared and hold the helm firmly.

·
Registered
605 Posts
But not stopping wasn't an option because you had to have the pics to keep up your well earned reputation as the "Potentate of Scenery"
Haha. Some call it an affliction, some call it a compulsion. I'm embarrassed to admit the number of motorcyles photos I've amassed.

Thread hijack for sure -- your excellent pics triggered nostalgic memories of a 2009 Midnight Sun trip to Chicken Alaska and home via Tatshenshini and Alaska Marine Ferry.
Will ride it again someday after Covid. Rode it then on a BMW R1200RT - not the best choice for the freshly graded sections of Top-Of-The-World highway to Chicken (Grader scrapes ditch rock back onto road, grade-blades then its trailing multi-wheel packer sort of packs it all in one pass), but it was comfortable to cruise at 160+ riding long sections of the Alaska Highway with a helicopter pilot on his GS1200. The AT would be more appropriate ride at an appropriate pace.
Weather highly variable in July; <5C and dumping rain to Blue River then >30C in Dawson.

View attachment 63040
Looks like a great trip, but definitely better bikes for it! The 1100 was quite happy going 180 along the Alaska two up. I was actually quite surprised on that trip with its open road manners. I'm sure a GS would have been a bit smoother, but I can't imagine it being much funner. I've ridden into the Yukon and Alaska a few times over the years, but have yet to do the Top of the World. Last year and again this year the plan was to run Tuktoyaktuk, over Top of the World and up to Prudhoe Bay and back. Sadly even doing Tuk is looking less and less likely this year.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Haha. Some call it an affliction, some call it a compulsion. I'm embarrassed to admit the number of motorcyles photos I've amassed.

Looks like a great trip, but definitely better bikes for it! The 1100 was quite happy going 180 along the Alaska two up. I was actually quite surprised on that trip with its open road manners. I'm sure a GS would have been a bit smoother, but I can't imagine it being much funner. I've ridden into the Yukon and Alaska a few times over the years, but have yet to do the Top of the World. Last year and again this year the plan was to run Tuktoyaktuk, over Top of the World and up to Prudhoe Bay and back. Sadly even doing Tuk is looking less and less likely this year.
My RT was happy on packed gravel and pavement. Loose crap not so much. Clocking along at over twice the posted limit in BC the Yukon pilot on his GS faced only a fine but me as a BC resident? Luckily never found out. Soon as we hit the Yukon he slowed down. 6th gear was good for 180-200+, 5th for 160-180. Never had to lube a chain…
Was a bit of work getting on and off the ferry at Dawson - they just beach it and drop the ramp on the river bank.
Watched the guys on GSs fully loaded tiptoe down the river bank to board with eyes big as dinner plates. Then after their heart rate returned to normal talk the complete ferry ride about carrying too much crap and if the exit would be worse. They Didn’t enjoy the scenery or that part of the ride much.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts