Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a couple rides with the new suspension and am very very pleased. I have the Touratech / Tractive Explorer HP/PDS rear shock with appropriate spring for my weight, and the forks were reworked by Alex at Konflict Motorsports. Konflict installed new straight rate springs (stock is progressive) appropriate for my weight, and revalving appropriate for the heavier springs along with new SKS seals.

After reinstalling the forks, I set the rider sag appropriately on both ends. I did not mess with the damping adjustments pending completion of several rides over varied terrain. Alex set the the way he thinks they ought to be, so I want to try his settings first.

Both ends now behave properly on high speed smooth pavement and on very rough patches-on-patches paved goat trails. I have not yet had it on dirt. The ride is controlled, not plush (and I wasn't really looking for plush). Accelerating out of bumpy corners, the tires stay nicely hooked up. Sudden whoops are gobbled up with no drama. Brake dive is reduced to the point where it is normal now, with the stock it was way excessive.

Dealing with Konflict was a delight from start to finish. First they have you schedule an appointment for a consultation with Alex, and he determines from that conversation what is needed and gives you a cost estimate (mine was $600, but they ended up costing less due to a discount for being a member of another board). They sent me a shipping box with all the necessary packing materials (crushed paper and adhesive bubble wrap). Took the box a couple days to arrive here in the sticks in northern California. I packed the stuff up and shipped the forks to Konflict.

The forks arrived at Konflict in a couple days, and they acknowledged receipt. Alex had said it would take five days up there, so on the fifth day they contacted me to tell me the forks were done, total of $581 including shipping three ways (empty box to me, loaded box from me to Konflict, loaded box from Konflict to me). Alex found I am a regular on another board and applied a 10% discount without my asking for it or even being aware of it. He went over everything he had done to the forks in great detail, including difficulties he had getting one of the base valves out (way tight from Honda). He said there was no damage to the forks, just that these are fairly low end forks with not super manufacturing tolerances.

They also returned my springs (Wilbers progressives that I had bought and installed) sealed in a plastic bag, and a goodie bag full of stickers, Giant Loop drink cozies and an Icon Raiden neck tube. Nice touch!

I highly recommend getting Konflict to do your AT forks. Really great work!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have done a couple rides with the new suspension and am very very pleased. I have the Touratech / Tractive Explorer HP/PDS rear shock with appropriate spring for my weight, and the forks were reworked by Alex at Konflict Motorsports. Konflict installed new straight rate springs (stock is progressive) appropriate for my weight, and revalving appropriate for the heavier springs along with new SKS seals.

After reinstalling the forks, I set the rider sag appropriately on both ends. I did not mess with the damping adjustments pending completion of several rides over varied terrain. Alex set the the way he thinks they ought to be, so I want to try his settings first.

Both ends now behave properly on high speed smooth pavement and on very rough patches-on-patches paved goat trails. I have not yet had it on dirt. The ride is controlled, not plush (and I wasn't really looking for plush). Accelerating out of bumpy corners, the tires stay nicely hooked up. Sudden whoops are gobbled up with no drama. Brake dive is reduced to the point where it is normal now, with the stock it was way excessive.

Dealing with Konflict was a delight from start to finish. First they have you schedule an appointment for a consultation with Alex, and he determines from that conversation what is needed and gives you a cost estimate (mine was $600, but they ended up costing less due to a discount for being a member of another board). They sent me a shipping box with all the necessary packing materials (crushed paper and adhesive bubble wrap). Took the box a couple days to arrive here in the sticks in northern California. I packed the stuff up and shipped the forks to Konflict.

The forks arrived at Konflict in a couple days, and they acknowledged receipt. Alex had said it would take five days up there, so on the fifth day they contacted me to tell me the forks were done, total of $581 including shipping three ways (empty box to me, loaded box from me to Konflict, loaded box from Konflict to me). Alex found I am a regular on another board and applied a 10% discount without my asking for it or even being aware of it. He went over everything he had done to the forks in great detail, including difficulties he had getting one of the base valves out (way tight from Honda). He said there was no damage to the forks, just that these are fairly low end forks with not super manufacturing tolerances.

They also returned my springs (Wilbers progressives that I had bought and installed) sealed in a plastic bag, and a goodie bag full of stickers, Giant Loop drink cozies and an Icon Raiden neck tube. Nice touch!

I highly recommend getting Konflict to do your AT forks. Really great work!
Alex is well respected in the PNW area. He is THE man for suspension. It sounds like I may need to contact him as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rode 460 miles on the AT yesterday, twisties in the central Sierras area (Tahoe, Carson Pass, Hope Valley, etc.) and then into Nevada for afternoon snack in Virginia City NV.

Left the house at 6AM and got home around 8PM. Rode temps from about 50F to 98F during the day. over 58,000 feet climbing and descending, 200' lowest to 8900' highest.

Combination of the reworked suspension, the new Touratech low seat, Barkbusters and Kaoko with extra end weights... all work together to help beat the fatigue, I think. I did frequently ride without feet on pegs when on straighter sections to get the feet away from the buzzing IMS pegs. Not a big deal though.

The suspension was PERFECT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts