Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what my deflectors for the 2017 standard bike look like:

and this is what they looked like on the 2018 AT sport:

As you can see the Sport versions are more sophisticated (holes or slots), but what I don't know is whether these are what you get if you now order them for the standard model
Does anyone know?
Mike

·
Registered
191 Posts
Follow up question- do they work? I know there is a winglet for the front of the bike as well, but haven't heard feedback on them.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have ordered the winglets and will report back. My experiments will be as follows with each new experiment depending on a ‘fail’ of the previous one (bear in mind that so far FOR ME all combinations of standard and touring screens plus batzen plus swegotech plus MRA variable lip plus the deflectors shown in the first photo .... have been failures)
Standard screen plus the new ‘visors’
Oem touring screen plus visors
As above but also with upper air deflectors
As above plus swegotech fork shield
If the last one is a failure then my Madstad screen is going back on and I will have all the other items available for sale
(I don’t think I will try the variable lip again because of the intrusion into the line of vision ... but I might)
From the above you can see why I would like an answer to my original post. If Honda have done wind tunnel experiments and decided that slots are important, they may be supplying that type now even for the standard model
Mike

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't think the wings and deflectors do much. However comparing is difficult unless you are on same road, same wind , same traffic, same everything. I have deflectors, wings, fork updraught cover, givi screen. For me screen was biggest improvement followed by fork cover. (ATAS)

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't think the wings and deflectors do much. However comparing is difficult unless you are on same road, same wind , same traffic, same everything. I have deflectors, wings, fork updraught cover, givi screen. For me screen was biggest improvement followed by fork cover. (ATAS)

@BigKev: which GIVI screen do you mount? Thanks...

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Givi screen I fitted to my ATAS was Givi D1144ST £64, ordered in UK, I am in UK.

The screen is wider and taller than OEM and does not have the square cut out at the bottom

·
Registered
191 Posts
The madstad has been huge for me, but there is still major discomfort at 80 in wind-i have a feeling there is nothing that can be done about wind though.

Naked bikes have it so much easier.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The madstad has been huge for me, but there is still major discomfort at 80 in wind-i have a feeling there is nothing that can be done about wind though.

Naked bikes have it so much easier.

It's easy enough to turn the At into a naked bike and a cut down screen looks good too.
Mike

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have no info on the deflectors for the AT, but I added OEM deflectors on my NT700V. They don't look like much, but they did make a difference in how much air was on my hands. I assume Honda spent a fair bit of time in the wind tunnel, why wouldn't they do that on the AT?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no info on the deflectors for the AT, but I added OEM deflectors on my NT700V. They don't look like much, but they did make a difference in how much air was on my hands. I assume Honda spent a fair bit of time in the wind tunnel, why wouldn't they do that on the AT?
You'd think wouldn't you? But presumably they didn't spend much time with the 2016 bike in the wind tunnel or they would have redesigned the screens or come up with the additions from day 1. Having said that, the engineers were probably tearing their hair out because the ergonomics designers wanted the shape they did. No bike with an upright front and a narrow screen area is going to provide smooth airflow past the rider's neck and shoulders. It's made worse by the clearance necessary for the handguards so that if the design guys want a screen integrated with the bodywork it's got to be too narrow. Only if you take it forwards can you make it wider like Madstad and others have done. And when you do that the turbulence moves away from the bottom of your ears to nearer your shoulder blades, and reduces the horrible vertices boiling off the top on to any peak you have fitted to your helmet. I'm hoping that the upper wind visors might just achieve something similar, but I'm not really convinced that they look any better than a big screen like the Madstad.
Mike

·
Registered
427 Posts
The Givi screen I fitted to my ATAS was Givi D1144ST £64, ordered in UK, I am in UK.
The screen is wider and taller than OEM and does not have the square cut out at the bottom
Thanks. Unfortunately for me that would be too tall, with the line of my sight right where the screen ends.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have ordered the winglets and will report back. My experiments will be as follows with each new experiment depending on a ‘fail’ of the previous one (bear in mind that so far FOR ME all combinations of standard and touring screens plus batzen plus swegotech plus MRA variable lip plus the deflectors shown in the first photo .... have been failures)
Standard screen plus the new ‘visors’
Oem touring screen plus visors
As above but also with upper air deflectors
As above plus swegotech fork shield
If the last one is a failure then my Madstad screen is going back on and I will have all the other items available for sale
(I don’t think I will try the variable lip again because of the intrusion into the line of vision ... but I might)
From the above you can see why I would like an answer to my original post. If Honda have done wind tunnel experiments and decided that slots are important, they may be supplying that type now even for the standard model
Mike
I would put the fork shield up in top positions. For me they greatly reduced the air flow coming from below. Currently I'm using the standard screen with the fork shield and the "winglet": I start feeling air above 100 km/h, on shoulders and top of the helmet. That's why I'm looking for a screen slightly taller and larger than the Honda standard. I'm thinking about the GIVI D1144S.
Keep in mind I'm 182 cm with a short torso and wide shoulders. I want to see the road not through the screen.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would put the fork shield up in top positions. For me they greatly reduced the air flow coming from below. Currently I'm using the standard screen with the fork shield and the "winglet": I start feeling air above 100 km/h, on shoulders and top of the helmet. That's why I'm looking for a screen slightly taller and larger than the Honda standard. I'm thinking about the GIVI D1144S.
Keep in mind I'm 182 cm with a short torso and wide shoulders. I want to see the road not through the screen.
I know the swegotech works for many people but not for me. My main criterion is usablity of the peak on my Nolan helmet. Only the Madstad has reduced this to a tolerable vibration under most conditions. But I'm hopeful of the Visors. One big plus of the Madstad (which I look over the top of) is that my helmet visor stays clear even in the worst UK winter conditions and even in summer very few flies splat it.
Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
C'mon chaps - if you wanted to sit in a draft-free bubble, you should have bought an RT!! Head turbulence is a different matter, I accept. Moving mirrors out on extenders both improved rearward vision and made it less noisy around the ears....but we is all different....!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
C'mon chaps - if you wanted to sit in a draft-free bubble, you should have bought an RT!! Head turbulence is a different matter, I accept. Moving mirrors out on extenders both improved rearward vision and made it less noisy around the ears....but we is all different....!!
I'm not bothered about noise Padgman. Soft green earplugs completely eliminate that (unfortunately also the nice sound the AT exhaust makes), but the vibrating peak was a no-no, as it affects vision too. The midge free visor is just a bonus.
Mike

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmmm .... my plans have gone awry. New 2018 bike has arrived but there are no holes for the visor kit which is ordered and on its way. I thought the upper fairing panels were pre-drilled so the visor kits could go straight on?
Mike

·
Registered
360 Posts
I also thought the 18 onwards models had the holes. Have a look at the instructions for the deflectors, I seem to remember it mentions which models have the holes. My 2018 ATAS had the holes. Maybe for 2019 they have gone back to no holes ?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hmmmm .... my plans have gone awry. New 2018 bike has arrived but there are no holes for the visor kit which is ordered and on its way. I thought the upper fairing panels were pre-drilled so the visor kits could go straight on?
Mike
On the Standard, the positions for the holes are marked on the inside of the fairings. You have to drill them (please use steady hand!). :grin2:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On the Standard, the positions for the holes are marked on the inside of the fairings. You have to drill them (please use steady hand!). :grin2:
ah - thanks that's a bit more promising. Will all the hardware I need be with the plastic visors that are on their way?
Mike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts