Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PO put Givi Engine Guards on my 2017 AT Manual.. Researching, Im seeing the lower engine guards get pretty good reviews but the upper crash bars for the fairing get reviewed kinda poorly on average with fitment issues and not holding up to fall overs well etc.. which is kinda their purpose. So has anyone mixed and matched crash bars? Id like to use something from Alt-rider or another source other than the givi upper crash bars, But if it means getting rid of the lower GIVI engine guard I already have, then I suppose im gonna have to stick with Givi for the Upper as well.. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
404 Posts
I just took a look at the Givi upper/lower set on a mate's 2021 AT. I liked that you could remove the uppers for servicing air filters. However, I thought they looked kind of weak, when compared with my Heed Bunker bars.

The Heed bars have survived quite a few drops, one at some speed into a bank.

The Heeds are one piece, upper and lower, and stout as F... They are also cheap. Shipped from Poland, with pretty snappy shipping, I think I paid under $300 for the set. Might be an option worth looking at. You could always sell the Givi's lowers for about enough to pay for the Heeds...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ponzan, I think I will go with the do a bit more research on the GIVI uppers since they mount to the lowers I already have, its good to hear a positive report on them.. II really dont want to swap out the lower engine guards I kinda like those . but I will if I need to feel comftorable about the whole thing.

Beouwulf, thanks for the Info.. I Looked at them a moment ago and they look pretty beefy, and possibly able to be mounted alone? I will do some more research on that ss well, thanks again folks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just took a look at the Givi upper/lower set on a mate's 2021 AT. I liked that you could remove the uppers for servicing air filters. However, I thought they looked kind of weak, when compared with my Heed Bunker bars.

The Heed bars have survived quite a few drops, one at some speed into a bank.

The Heeds are one piece, upper and lower, and stout as F... They are also cheap. Shipped from Poland, with pretty snappy shipping, I think I paid under $300 for the set. Might be an option worth looking at. You could always sell the Givi's lowers for about enough to pay for the Heeds...
I’ve been pondering this for over a year now and am leaning toward the Heed. Did you buy yours direct from Heed?

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT
201 Posts
I bought the Heed Bunker bars for my CRF1100 and I think the design is very good protection wise.

Fitting is a bit of a pain but not too bad. I altered mine slightly by cutting the lower section that connects under the exhaust and turning an insert and welding it in. That means if I need to take the bars off for any reason I can leave the awkward bolts behind the exhaust alone.
I bought them from Heed on UK eBay as they were a bit cheaper than direct but not much, they arrived with me in the UK in about 4 days which I was pleased about.
The only down side for me is they are steel, would have preferred aluminium or stainless but still great for the price.

Some pics.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

And the bits I altered.

Wood Gas Machine Auto part Metal
Automotive exhaust Auto part Bicycle handlebar Automotive exterior Pipe

Automotive tire Light Hood Tire Black

·
Registered
271 Posts
I bought the Heed Bunker bars for my CRF1100 and I think the design is very good protection wise.

Fitting is a bit of a pain but not too bad. I altered mine slightly by cutting the lower section that connects under the exhaust and turning an insert and welding it in. That means if I need to take the bars off for any reason I can leave the awkward bolts behind the exhaust alone.
I bought them from Heed on UK eBay as they were a bit cheaper than direct but not much, they arrived with me in the UK in about 4 days which I was pleased about.
The only down side for me is they are steel, would have preferred aluminium or stainless but still great for the price.

Some pics.
View attachment 67280
View attachment 67281

And the bits I altered.

View attachment 67277 View attachment 67278

View attachment 67279
Thanks for your reply. I saw your mods in a previous post. Probably the main reason I’ve procrastinated is like you I prefer stainless but Heed doesn’t offer it. If they did it would likely double the price.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT
201 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I saw your mods in a previous post. Probably the main reason I’ve procrastinated is like you I prefer stainless but Heed doesn’t offer it. If they did it would likely double the price.
Yes, probably but still worth it in my opinion as I think they look good and seem like they will offer good protection but hopefully I won't be testing the last part out :D

I had considered asking if they would bend up the bars in stainless and send them to me to weld but in the end I was in a rush so didn't bother. I would actually like them in aluminium, maybe 1" dia with 1/4" wall, I may at some point enquire if they would bend some up for me to weld , just wish I had means to bend them myself.

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
404 Posts
Did you buy yours direct from Heed?
Yes, I did. It was a very positive experience. They came packed super well, and the shipping seemed fast, from Poland to the US. I am pretty sure that it was less than a week from order to delivery.

Mounting took a couple of hours, but wasn't too bad. Instructions aren't much, but the mounting points become obvious, once you get things positioned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts