Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08R74-MJP-G50 is the part # for them can't find in usa & there $130 US dollars for >50 cents in plastic WTF Honda price gougers/ripp off.

has anyone put them on do they work is it worth the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$???????

thank you ahead of time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't know if they work as haven't tried them. However, if you are going ahead you may consider looking at EBay item number:192182277388 as they ship to the US. Appeared to be less expensive from them and you can also make an offer. Be mindful you may have to pay import duty...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't know if they work as haven't tried them. However, if you are going ahead you may consider looking at EBay item number:192182277388 as they ship to the US. Appeared to be less expensive from them and you can also make an offer. Be mindful you may have to pay import duty...
192182277388 shows no results from UK or USA eBay...

Can you provide a link?

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have bought some of these at the ridiculous UK price of £85 (reduced from £105) which for two bits of plastic is a joke.
BUT ..... I noticed on the 2018 sport version that they have something similar and bigger and more sophisticated with slots in. It occurred to me that Honda discovered like I did that most of the buffeting is coming not from the top of any screen but round the sides. They may have gone one stage further and determined that it is coming upover from the cutouts these deflectors are designed to fill.
I was going to fit them today but it's about 3 degrees and the double sided sticky doesn't seem very sticky. There's no instructions so it doesn't say that fitting in cold weather is a bad idea, but I might wait til it warms up a bit.
Then I will report back
Mike

·
Registered
480 Posts
mike5100 - I think these are designed for warm climate wind deflection, nothing to do with smoother airflow.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
mike5100 - I think these are designed for warm climate wind deflection, nothing to do with smoother airflow.
If you mean for deflecting warm air from the radiator then no they can't be for that - they are up much higher than on the NC750, and in front of the radiators. It's definitely to do with air being forced upwards by the fairing so you never know they might work for the turbulence thing. It's even colder today so I won't fit them yet. I noticed one had gone/fallen off the bike on the stand at the NEC so I want to make sure the glue gets a really good grip
Mike

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm glad I didn't try to fit them as I have just found the instructions on the Honda CSS web portal and they say it has to be 21 deg C (can be achieved with a hair dryer though)
Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
One of the ONLY complaints I have about my '17 AT is the wind that hits me directly in the breast pockets at speed, gets cold after a while.
I determined early on that the 'waist' if you will in the fairing is allowing cold turbulent air through.
On my List of Things to Do is fabricate something to fill in this area, first testing with cardboard, and then making plastic deflectors.

Then I saw this post..

Lousy Honda.. WHY WHY WHY don't they offer these in the USA????

Just got an invitation to fill out a survey on the AT... I'm going to ask about this...

Put my local dealer on it, but expect no results...

I'm thinking hard foam and adhesive velcro might be the way to go.

·
Registered
415 Posts
One of the ONLY complaints I have about my '17 AT is the wind that hits me directly in the breast pockets at speed, gets cold after a while.
I determined early on that the 'waist' if you will in the fairing is allowing cold turbulent air through.
On my List of Things to Do is fabricate something to fill in this area, first testing with cardboard, and then making plastic deflectors.

Then I saw this post..

Lousy Honda.. WHY WHY WHY don't they offer these in the USA????

Just got an invitation to fill out a survey on the AT... I'm going to ask about this...

Put my local dealer on it, but expect no results...

I'm thinking hard foam and adhesive velcro might be the way to go.
Some of the aftermarket screens are wider down low to fix that issue, you then have to watch the mirrors do not hit the screen on full lock, the MRA ones work well.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Some of the aftermarket screens are wider down low to fix that issue, you then have to watch the mirrors do not hit the screen on full lock, the MRA ones work well.
The Madstad cuts out a lot of the turbulence from these cut-outs in the fairing. It is able to do so because it is fixed a long way forwards and is able to be about 4 or 5 inches wider than the standard or touring OEM screens (or any screen that fits flush with the plastics).
The upper air deflectors actually cannot have any effect on the air coming past the cut-outs, as they are below that level. However, I'm guessing that Honda have worked out that two airstreams are interfering with each other as they head towards base of helmet position and by deflecting one of them - the lower one - with the upper air deflectors, they can reduce the turbulence. They have obviously done more work on this because the upper air deflectors fitted to the AT Sport at the Birmingham bike show, were bigger and contained some slots (That probably doubles the price :crying:)
Mike

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you mean for deflecting warm air from the radiator then no they can't be for that - they are up much higher than on the NC750, and in front of the radiators. It's definitely to do with air being forced upwards by the fairing so you never know they might work for the turbulence thing. It's even colder today so I won't fit them yet. I noticed one had gone/fallen off the bike on the stand at the NEC so I want to make sure the glue gets a really good grip
Mike
No, I meant warm environmental air, not warm air from the radiator.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ordered the upper and lower deflectors from a shop in Germany. I installed the uppers a few days ago, and I have to admit they do make a noticeable difference in comfort, must less wind stream in the chest are ( for me, short with a low seat in the low position ). Almost worth the crazy nuts price, but they do look 'factory' and better than what I might have home-made. I have not installed the lowers yet, actually have no problem with that area but figured I give them a try as the shipping was the same to get both. Honda also has 'visors' that mount behind the windscreen, they brought them out for the '18 AS but fit the standard ATwin as well, you must drill holes in the fairing as for the lowers to fit them. Pic attached. Part number is 08R71-MKK-D00. I might try something in this area, but I already have a wider than normal shield, I bought a Madstad but self-made a wider screen from an old ST1300 shield I had laying around, same curvature so easy...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Ziggy - I'm guessing the upper deflectors you have fitted are not quite like the ones in the photo (on the sport), as they have slots in them, and for the standard bike (so far) they have been slightly smaller and without slots. Nevertheless I agree with you that they do seem to make a difference in buffeting. I will be very interested to hear of any results of the 'visor' deflectors as you call them, as I too have the Madstad screen which is very good but looks ugly-ish and also wobbles much more than the OEM screens
Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
I ordered the upper and lower deflectors from a shop in Germany. I installed the uppers a few days ago, and I have to admit they do make a noticeable difference in comfort, must less wind stream in the chest are ( for me, short with a low seat in the low position ). Almost worth the crazy nuts price, but they do look 'factory' and better than what I might have home-made. I have not installed the lowers yet, actually have no problem with that area but figured I give them a try as the shipping was the same to get both. Honda also has 'visors' that mount behind the windscreen, they brought them out for the '18 AS but fit the standard ATwin as well, you must drill holes in the fairing as for the lowers to fit them. Pic attached. Part number is 08R71-MKK-D00. I might try something in this area, but I already have a wider than normal shield, I bought a Madstad but self-made a wider screen from an old ST1300 shield I had laying around, same curvature so easy...
Do you have information and/or link to the shop in Germany used purchased from? I did a google search and didn't find a shop so help would be appreciated.

FYI folks, went to the above ebay link and they're "sold out"! I would conclude that this is sought after solution....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rugged Roads has all of these in stock :grin2: and ships worldwide

For the standard CRF1000 Africa Twin 2016 onwards:
08R74MJPG50 - OEM Honda Upper Deflectors - these will only fit on the standard CRF1000

08R73MJPG50 - OEM Honda Lower Deflectors - again these will only fit on the standard CRF1000

and for the CRF1000 Africa Twin Adventure Sport 2018:
08R70MKKD20 - OEM Honda Upper & Lower Deflector Kit - these will only fit on the CRF1000 Adventure Sport

08R71MKKD00 - OEM Honda Visor Kit - these will bolt straight onto the CRF1000 Adventure Sport using the existing holes and bolts already fitted to the front fairing.
They can also be fitted to the standard CRF1000, as the kit includes fittings, but you will need to drill the bolt holes in your front fairing.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Great info Jonathan. Do you know if the drilling and fitting of the last item(s) can be done with the fairing in place or do they need to be stripped off so you can get behind them to tighten any nuts?
Mike

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Jonathan, do you have fitting instructions for the OEM Honda Upper & Lower Deflector Kit, CRF1000 Adventure Sport?

Have you collected your ATAS yet, how are you liking it it?

PM sent to you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts