Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As anyone who has ridden off road on any state or federal land in the US knows, exhausts lacking sparky's raise the hackles on any park ranger, or similar off highway enforcement representative.
I was looking at all the posts here about Termis, Arrows, Remus, etc, and looking at websites for these manufacturers, I see no mention of them being USFS approved, i.e; having sparky design features. For example, FMF's systems are clearly stamped "USFS APPROVED SPARK ARRESTOR". Sadly they offer no system or slip on for our Twins as of yet.
I was contemplating either a Termi or SC Project system then started wondering about what kind of encounter I will have with Mr. Ranger Sir, like maybe out in the Mojave Preserve, or up in the Los Padres on forest road or trail, or a designated ORV park like Hungry Valley. Ive read signs, been read regulations, but have never been ticketed, because my exhausts have always had THAT stamp.
So, has anyone run into this situation yet with their slip ons or full systems here in the states?
This brought me back to one of the oldest spark arrestor exhausts, the SuperTrapp. I thought, why not buy one of these and slip it on, fully tuneable by adding or removing discs, you can get them in a huge variety of inlet and outer diameters, lengths and shapes, megaphone or non tapered bodies and they're cheaper than any slip on Ive seen offered.
Outdated technology ? Doesnt get much simpler in design. See a lot of them on competition vehicles in all kinds of racing, even boats.
Maybe buy a Termi or Arrow header pipe off ebay and slap a fully tuneable Supertrapp on the end. Or the stock Twin head pipe. I just remember running around the desert in So Cal on our TT500's and the supertrapps always sounded the gnarliest and the bike always ran its best after you got the jetting and the number of discs sorted out.
Like I said, this all started when I began thinking about what exhaust would pass scrutiny. I also seem to remember Arnie signing a bill in Cali a few years back about making it a ticket for having non factory exhaust on any motorcycle. And a lot of people know, a lot of precedent setting boolsheeit spreads out across the country from Cali like stank fungus.:frown2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is kind of lame as a 1st post since I'm just a lurker right now. Africa Twin is the bike I'm hoping to get in the next few seasons.

Looks like the Akrapovic has a set available. I'm pretty sure the quality of those pipes are really good. Sorry no link as I don't have a high enough post count.

Just follow the links from Akrapovic's website.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You got me curious about the subject.

Federal
"Qualifications for OHV Spark Arresters
The qualification standard requires spark arresters to be permanently marked with the model number and manufacturer’s name or trademark. Whenever contact is made with an OHV, regardless of what type of machine is used, a spark arrester inspection should be made.[/FONT] Many people think that a muffler/silencer is also a spark arrester. Mufflers and silencers are only designed for noise control. Only an inspection can determine whether this is a spark arrester or a muffler/silencer.
If the OHV has been operating, beware of very hot metal in and around the exhaust system. The arrester will be a chamber-like device located somewhere along the exhaust discharge. Find the manufacturer’s name or logo and the model number located on the spark arrester. It may be necessary to clean a portion of the arrester to reveal that information. It can usually be found on an attached metal plate. The words “USDA Forest Service Qualified,” “Spark Arrester,” or “Qualified” stamped on a piece of equipment does not guarantee that it is a tested and qualified arrester."

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/03511307/03511307.htm

California
Spark Arrester Law

"CVC 38366. (a) Notwithstanding Section 4442 of the Public Resources Code, and except for vehicles with mufflers as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 27150) of Chapter 5 of Division 12, no person shall use, operate, or allow to be used or operated, any off-highway motor vehicle, as defined in Section 38006, on any forest-covered land, brush-covered land, or grass-covered land unless the vehicle is equipped with a spark arrester maintained in
effective working order.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=23039

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im sticking with the stocker as well, for all reasons mentioned. After losing traction and control on a marbley hardpacked clay uphill powerline trail the bike landed hard on its right side, off the side of the trail. I then dragged it back onto the trail by its front wheel and spun it around to point it downhill before I even attempted to pick it up. (after laying on the trail for 10 minutes trying to get my heart rate back down and second guessing my decision to trade my F6B in on this..) From the sound of the grinding and metal on rock scraping noises while dragging the bike I thought for sure the muffler and the right side of the bike were trash. Aside from scratches on the bash bars, Tusk Dflex guards, and the heat shield on the muffler, the bike was in good shape. Starting from the bottom of the hill with TC in setting 1, the bike motored up the hill like a champ. That muffler took one more drop that day and still no dents. Im impressed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Remus spark arrestor is not USDA Forest Service Certified and does not have the required stamp on the insert or the muffler. The spark arrestor works but only satisfies European requirements. I have the Remus Okami on my AT and love it. I also have the spark arrester insert, but accept the possibility of a ticket if I am off road.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Remus spark arrestor is not USDA Forest Service Certified and does not have the required stamp on the insert or the muffler. The spark arrestor works but only satisfies European requirements. I have the Remus Okami on my AT and love it. I also have the spark arrester insert, but accept the possibility of a ticket if I am off road.

Never underestimate the laziness of a public servant. They’ll see the screen and it’ll be fine. Since it’s a German product, 99.9% won’t care as long as it’s there. Here’s a pic...SC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts