Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at parts diagram I found the 2018 US models come with LED turn signals. The 2016/2017 European models had a very expensive and complex LED wiring, but, from what I can see in the US 2018 model, the turn signal relay looks like a standard LED flasher (part no. 38301-KZZ-J01, used in tons of other bikes)

Retrofiting the 2016/2017 European LED into a US model was practically impossible without spending a lot of money. It seems there is hope to retrofit the US 2018 spec into a 2016/2017.

Unfortunately I can't try this conversion now, but if no one has done by August I will for sure try it out and share my experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Complex and expensive?

I converted my 2017 US turn signals to LED and it only cost me $26 usd. I may not be an expert in electrical stuff but I am an expert at "trial & error". LOL

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Complex and expensive?

I converted my 2017 US turn signals to LED and it only cost me $26 usd. I may not be an expert in electrical stuff but I am an expert at "trial & error".
I was referring to fitting the 2016/2017 European OEM LED turn signals into a US bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What parts did you use to do this? The 12v LEDs that match (not quite exactly) don't fit the OEM rubber grommet and backing plate. The stud location on the light also doesn't match the hole location. Did you use an aftermarket relay? Did you keep the front turn signals as always on riding lights, like stock, or just have them as turn signals?

·
Registered
465 Posts
What parts did you use to do this? The 12v LEDs that match (not quite exactly) don't fit the OEM rubber grommet and backing plate. The stud location on the light also doesn't match the hole location. Did you use an aftermarket relay? Did you keep the front turn signals as always on riding lights, like stock, or just have them as turn signals?
You are correct that the rubber grommet and backing plate don't match. So I replaced them with a rectangular plastic washer and used a steel washer to secure the plastic washer & turn signals in place.

Initially, I was going to use just the steel washer but when I went to tighten the nut I could see it crushing the inner OEM plastics. The solution was the plastic washer which had a hole in the center that allowed me to position the turn signals accordingly.

Relay is not necessary.

The turn signals stay on just like the stocks.

I'll take a pic later. Fiance is waiting for me (supposed to visit print shop for wedding invitations).

·
Registered
465 Posts
IDK why it's not showing.

Photos are uploaded to google pics.

I right click on picture, copy image url, and paste via
. But this isn't the first time I've been told pics aren't showing up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Try downloading them from Google Photos and re-uploading here as attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts

Nemesis would still be interested in pictures and parts list.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Nemesis would still be interested in pictures and parts list.
Are my pictures still not showing up? :(

Okay, so here are the parts:

LEDs: these are the same as the Chinese knock-offs on Aliexpress but for whatever reason, this vendor sells it cheaper
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJ2ZLSH/ref=twister_B07CQZWW6M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Position HC050 Connector: I bought these along with my PC8 awhile back. You can use the ones on the OEM turn signals.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/050_Connectors/050_connectors.html

Washers:
4pcs Motorcycle Turn Signal Indicator Spacer Adapter For HONDA CBR600/900/1000RR
Ebay link here

And the 25mm stainless steel washer I bought at a local hardware store for $0.12. Sorry, no link. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts