Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to install a 12v or a usb socket onto my twin whats everyone use? oem or a aftermarket? the oem is like 70$ and a aftermarket ranges from 20-30$ and if you look hard enough you can pick up a universal one for like 10$ also might install a usb socket also how do you guys have it set up for all your electronics. thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
My ATAS came with the accessory socket, and I do use a dual USB plug in it with one side for my phone and one for a camera when I get the latter set up. In addition, I set up an Eastern Beaver 8 circuit plug and play, and two of the circuits go down to the worthless tool box, one being always on for charger and the other for additional USB outputs should I need to charge something in my tank bag. Fog lights and projectors added. Lots of things to play with!

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
If I had a bike that had no power socket but had a traditional lead/acid battery. adding one would be a priority as they are so useful. I would have it as close to the instruments as possible. always live. and would use a separate USB plug as and when required. That way you have the best of all worlds. An output of 12v. for items like tyre pumps. An input for a battery charger. and you can remove the USB plug easily if you are wary about its constant slight drain.

This is essentially what you got with BMW bikes prior to the 1200cc series.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i see you have a usb socket down by the battery, was there enough room there for the socket? is that a regular size or special short one looks like something i would like to try. whats the brand of the socket you used?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yes. There's easily depth and room down there. I did the same thing and added a USB charger and voltmeter in that space. Just check the depth of the USB before you drill.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
A 12v socket with a removable USB insert seemed more handy, so that's what I did. Also put in a PC8.
Same here.

Most vehicle accessory panel mount USB ports don't support the charging needs of typical modern smart phones. You may end up with a phone that will only slow charge, and when you run nav, your phone my drain, despite being plugged in.

If you install a lighter socket or even a DIN/Powerlet/BMW socket, you have a good selection of adapters to choose from including ones that support USB-C charging and QC 3.0.

If you buy a good dedicated USB port, that may be enough. Otherwise, better to install a power socket.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Most vehicle accessory panel mount USB ports don't support the charging needs of typical modern smart phones. You may end up with a phone that will only slow charge, and when you run nav, your phone my drain, despite being plugged in.
Yes, definitely! I've had this issue with my S7 Edge, used a 2.1A port that just wasn't giving close to 2.1A (could be the phone's fault) so I went to a QC 3.0 port and the phone seems to like that much better. My phone now solidly holds 100% charge while running navigation software. If the USB lead develops a fault then I quickly realise it with my keeping an eye on the amps flowing:

I can use the accessory socket (generic, not Honda, but in default location) to plug in a drone charger, running the lead into the tank bag to my drone battery. At the same time I can use one USB socket for my phone while it acts as navigator. That still leaves the other QC3.0 USB socket for another device, maybe running a lead from that to my tank bag to charge a power bank - 4 out of my 5 power banks can charge fast with a QC 3 supply.

I have the accessory socket and each USB on their own channel on the PC-8, this means that a short blowing a fuse would only take out one of the three, with 6 switched ports available on the PC-8 there is no reason not to go this way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a two pole plug on the handlebar that is hard wired through a fuse to the battery and I have a USB charger in my tank bag. I can plug in the USB or use the plug to charge the battery or run a tire pump. The whole setup cost me about $15 Canadian.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sticking to 12v socket

Just picked up this thread on the back of negotiating with my local dealer to replace the 12v charger my ATAS if fiitted with in place of a USB. Quoted £30 for the part + £100 labour - although they’d do me a deal for £50 all in??

Reading the above, seems sticking with the 12v and using the adapter is the way to go. £50 aside, better power output, options to replace adapter to USB C as and when that becomes the norm, and the good old fashion option to use the 12v charger for air pumps etc...

Anker twin USB added to Amazon basket for £5.99 :wink2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts