Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the oil after about 8600 miles. This sample is one of the most diverse samples I've ever done. The oil was used from freezing to super hot temperatures, on a 4k mile trip, city commuting and weekend trips. I redlined the **** out of the bike during the entire interval, specially on the 4000 mile trip.

Happy with the result, and hopefully iron and copper are just artifacts from the break in

Thanks for the heads-up on the sampling method. We didn't find anything too unusual in these
results, so we'd say this is a valid look at the engine. Aluminum and copper are a whole lot higher than we
found from the factory oil run, but you have to consider how much longer this oil was in use. That's probably
why aluminum and copper went up so much, and we'd bet they're still left from initial break-in. Look for
improvements next time. The slightly thin viscosity isn't an issue, and the TBN is strong at 7.2. Keep putting
the miles on and check back for an update.
BTW, the comment about the sampling method is because I forgot to take the sample while oil was draining so I took it from the drain container

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
That change interval for your data is almost exactly what Honda recommends - 15,000 kilometres. Thanks for sharing this. I get tired of the oil threads – "change your oil every 1,000 miles" stuff. It's really unnecessary. This data continues to show that most oils will do what they say on the bottle, go 15,000 - 20,000 kilometres without any detrimental outcomes for your bike.

Reactions: julman99

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's sheared down to 20 grade--I'd be shocked if it hadn't after that long in the engine. What's interesting to me is that the break in oil had sheared to 20 grade within 600 miles.

Curious what data says there will be no detrimental outcomes for your bike. The data from this very UOA raises questions about piston and bearing wear.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's sheared down to 20 grade--I'd be shocked if it hadn't after that long in the engine. What's interesting to me is that the break in oil had sheared to 20 grade within 600 miles.

Curious what data says there will be no detrimental outcomes for your bike. The data from this very UOA raises questions about piston and bearing wear.
Interesting, not trying to argue but want to understand. I assume you are looking at the 8.9 cst value of viscosity at 100c. From https://wiki.anton-paar.com/en/sae-viscosity-grades/ (just picked at random off Google) it looks like the SAE engine oil viscosity specs are:

20W 5.6 to 9.3 cst
30W 9.3 to 12.5 cst
40W 12.5 to 16.3 cst

So technically yes it is in the 20W category although at the very high end and just below the 30W lower limit.

What numbers concern you for piston and bearing wear and what are you using as a guideline?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts