Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many bikes with rider modes usually have tour, sport and rain. The Africa Twin has Tour, Urban, Gravel and a rider programable User mode. I realize the settings in the first three modes can be changed after starting up and revert back to factory settings upon a restart. Since User mode retains the rider's selections, I am thinking of setting the user mode for rainy conditions. My thoughts are low engine power, mid or low engine braking and a higher level of traction control. Has anyone one tried this approach and with what results? Comments and suggestions welcome.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Many bikes with rider modes usually have tour, sport and rain. The Africa Twin has Tour, Urban, Gravel and a rider programable User mode. I realize the settings in the first three modes can be changed after starting up and revert back to factory settings upon a restart. Since User mode retains the rider's selections, I am thinking of setting the user mode for rainy conditions. My thoughts are low engine power, mid or low engine braking and a higher level of traction control. Has anyone one tried this approach and with what results? Comments and suggestions welcome.
Maybe mid or mid-to-high engine braking? All else as you wrote.

·
Registered
577 Posts
In theory, the only setting that matters in "rain mode" are the HSTC and EB setting.
Whatever EP setting you ride with in rain will have HSTC protection.
When decelerating, HSTC does not function, so your best option is to set EB to lowest setting.

For DCT owners, I would also change the AT mode to D in wet riding conditions to minimize aggressive downshifts.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Does a too low EB setting in the rain increase the probability of the operator using the brakes unnecessarily?

·
Registered
577 Posts
To be honest, I haven't had much chance to experience different EB settings in rain with my 2019 AT.
That's why I prefaced the post "in theory" :)

However, had plenty experience with the 2016, presumably at a single (max) EB level for the same engine.
It never was intrusive to the extent to cause a loss of traction solely due to EB.
My point was that if you had a feature to choose EB levels, you'd choose the least intrusive level.
Which is why the default EB level for Gravel mode is set at 3 (weakest)
Gravel and slippery wet surfaces presenting a similar traction challenge when riding.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
To be honest, I haven't had much chance to experience different EB settings in rain with my 2019 AT.
That's why I prefaced the post "in theory" :)

However, had plenty experience with the 2016, presumably at a single (max) EB level for the same engine.
It never was intrusive to the extent to cause a loss of traction solely due to EB.
My point was that if you had a feature to choose EB levels, you'd choose the least intrusive level.
Which is why the default EB level for Gravel mode is set at 3 (weakest)
Gravel and slippery wet surfaces presenting a similar traction challenge when riding.
Forgot EB "3" was the weakest - get confused with the TC range up to "6". (I really don't like Honda's numbering polarity of P, EB and TC) :rolleyes:

Sure "3", even "2". The DCT EB is not too grabby I find.

·
Registered
725 Posts
In theory, the only setting that matters in "rain mode" are the HSTC and EB setting.
Whatever EP setting you ride with in rain will have HSTC protection.
When decelerating, HSTC does not function, so your best option is to set EB to lowest setting.

For DCT owners, I would also change the AT mode to D in wet riding conditions to minimize aggressive downshifts.
May I ask, what is "HSTC"? ……..Traction Control?
Scott

·
Registered
577 Posts
Honda Selectable Torque Control or traction control :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Honda Selectable Torque Control or traction control :)
Aaaaaaah, I see. You are most kind Sir. I've read many parts of my owners manual and should have been able to figure that out. Well, time to read it AGAIN. Thanks again.
Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts