Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Many people have mentioned that when you turn off your Africa Twin CRF1000L you loose all the settings you have put into the motorcycles computer system.

Well no more. All you have to do to maintain the settings you have put into your motorcycle is shut the Africa Twin off using the side kick stand. You know that annoying safety function that automatically shuts off the engine when you put the kick stand down when the bike is still in gear.

Well, use the side stand as your kill switch and the bike will remember your personal programming for you and you won't have to reset it every time you go for a ride....

EZ

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well, use the side stand as your kill switch and the bike will remember your personal programming for you and you won't have to reset it every time you go for a ride....
That trick will only work as long as you don't turn the ignition off.
Once you turn power off, you're back to default settings.

Also, it has been reported on DCT models, that this trick may degrade PCM
performance over time. No proof, just a precaution, that there is risks
involved in trying to circumvent what the engineers have designed to do.

IMO, the convenience vs risk is overwhelmingly against this trick.
I have a DCT model. I also make sure to put bike in Neutral before
I shut off with the ignition key. YMMV(your mileage may vary)

·
Registered
383 Posts
After putting 52k miles on my AT since I posted,
I must update the previous caution of using the kickstand "kill" method:
It's simply the best way, if you want to keep settings the way you had them.
Does nothing to affect any normal operation of the bike.

·
Registered
119 Posts
After putting 52k miles on my AT since I posted,
I must update the previous caution of using the kickstand "kill" method:
It's simply the best way, if you want to keep settings the way you had them.
Does nothing to affect any normal operation of the bike.
I'm 1000's km away from my bike right now.
Reading this, I still have to assume that even though you 'kill' the engine by dropping the side stand, as soon as you turn the ignition off settings return to default a soon as you turn ignition back on right? Pretty much the same result as operating the engine kill switch to keep settings (Drive mode/Traction control etc.), as long as the ignition remains on. Except with the latter method you still have to drop your side-stand if you want to get off the bike of course.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The sidestand method is fine for quick stops and such, but certainly isn't a 'cure'.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Puzzled

I am puzzled as to which settings we are talking about here?

My 2018 HAT does not lose any settings when switched off then on

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm 1000's km away from my bike right now.
Reading this, I still have to assume that even though you 'kill' the engine by dropping the side stand, as soon as you turn the ignition off settings return to default a soon as you turn ignition back on right? Pretty much the same result as operating the engine kill switch to keep settings (Drive mode/Traction control etc.), as long as the ignition remains on. Except with the latter method you still have to drop your side-stand if you want to get off the bike of course.
The kill switch will not retain traction control settings.
Your traction control level will go back to default with the kill switch.
Only the sidestand method will retain all settings: TC-level, ABS-off, G-mode (DCT).

Not sure if it works the same on manual transmission bikes. I ride DCT.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The kill switch will not retain traction control settings.
Your traction control level will go back to default with the kill switch.
Only the sidestand method will retain all settings: TC-level, ABS-off, G-mode (DCT).

Not sure if it works the same on manual transmission bikes. I ride DCT.
DCT also. Thanks for your input. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't have G-mode since my 2018 ATAS is a manual. I don't mind the ABS resetting to on - because it's one button to turn it off. And the bike remembers my level because I set P, EB, and TC in my User mode - and it remembers the User mode I was in. I turn it off by the key.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts