Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im adjusting the valves on an Africa Twin does anyone know if the spec for exhaust valve clearance is measured between the valve and adjuster or between the cam and rocker arm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info thats a big help. If you have the manual can u confirm the clearance specs? I have
Intake 0.16 + or - 0.02mm
Exhaust 0.23 + or - 0.02mm
Are these correct?
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi everyone,
i have traveled on the my africa 30 000km.
what is the procedure when adjustment? it is necessary to dismantle the engine from the frame?
thank you very mach

·
Registered
26 Posts
Valve Shim Size

Any one know what size valve shims the ATwin takes. Hoping they are standard 9.48mm size...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any one know what size valve shims the ATwin takes. Hoping they are standard 9.48mm size...
I'm trying to find definitive size information as well...I'm 99% sure the shims for AT are 9.48mm same as the ones for several other bikes including their 450 motocrosser. My Suzuki DR-Z400S used that same size, so I already have a full set. I'd sure like to see it in an official Honda document, but I haven't seen that yet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have not herd of anyone needing to shim the exhausts, the intakes are adjusted with w screw/lock nut. (I haven't herd of any intakes that REALLY need adjusting either).

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have not herd of anyone needing to shim the exhausts, the intakes are adjusted with w screw/lock nut. (I haven't herd of any intakes that REALLY need adjusting either).
Talking to my honda dealer the other day about this, I asked when to have them checked,they replied 30,000miles is ok but we havent had to make many adjustments on the vast majority of bikes we have inspected....

·
Registered
109 Posts

It is the other way round, the intake ones are adjusted by changing shims (and nobody has ever needed any yet) and the exhaust ones are adjusted with screw/lock nut.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I’ve started to strip down my bike for its first valve check. Never have I had a bike that so much kit has to be removed for a service, it’s virtually giving me nightmares !!!! Awkward just doesn’t accurately describe this job.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Getting close to 60k on my 2016 manual, to check or not check the valves. The bike runs perfect, starts perfect, gas mileage the same as the day I bought it. I’m thinking,just going to keep on riding & maybe check at 100k. ???

·
Registered
109 Posts
I’ve started to strip down my bike for its first valve check. Never have I had a bike that so much kit has to be removed for a service, it’s virtually giving me nightmares !!!! Awkward just doesn’t accurately describe this job.
I have stripped down my VFR VTEC in the past to get to the valves - and this is considered a complex bike due to the V4 arrangement - but I can confirm that the CRF is even more complex to get to them. In my case, I decided to leave the dismantling/assembly job to a mechanic/friend with the agreement that I would check the valves, which I did.

Getting close to 60k on my 2016 manual, to check or not check the valves. The bike runs perfect, starts perfect, gas mileage the same as the day I bought it. I’m thinking,just going to keep on riding & maybe check at 100k. ������
I haven't found much wrong with mine at 46K km, apart from an exhaust one that was slightly open at 0.27 with limit 0.25. But maybe 100K km is too long an interval for the exhaust ones that use screw/locknut - just in case any one of them closes too much (the intake ones that are shim-based will be surely within the limits).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Follow the procedure in the book.
yes there's a bit of stuff to take off. Clean as you go.
Exhaust is screw and nut. My exhausts were on tight side, but in spec, so I moved it to the loose side, super easy adjustment.
My intakes were down middle of spec at 27k km.

For those on the fence, roll the dice. I may skip my next one, as I know where I'm at after break in. But it's there a reason for the interval check.
The spark plugs are due at 48k..so I'll scratch the above comment, and go in and check the valves anyways. The two inner spark plugs are impossible to get to with the tray in the way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts