Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!

Valve Check @ 16k miles (24kms)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k.....currently at 16k miles (25kms)
From what I can see, no adjustment is needed at this mileage. Whats your opinion.

Option 1 - Do valve check
Option 2 - Ignore till 32k miles
Option 3 - No idea??

·
Registered
191 Posts
What do you mean from what you can see? If you're already looking at the valves and you don't think they need to be adjusted then... What's the question?

Unless you are asking if you need to do a valve check? It is maintenance to do exactly that- check if it needs to be adjusted. The chances are low they actually need to be adjusted, but skipping the check is up to you.

I assume every used bike I ever look at has never had the valves checked. Questions like these are the reason I have that assumption.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean from what you can see? If you're already looking at the valves and you don't think they need to be adjusted then... What's the question?

Unless you are asking if you need to do a valve check? It is maintenance to do exactly that- check if it needs to be adjusted. The chances are low they actually need to be adjusted, but skipping the check is up to you.

I assume every used bike I ever look at has never had the valves checked. Questions like these are the reason I have that assumption.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
What I meant was, from what I've read on forums, people that have checked the valves, didn't need to adjust them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you have the equivalent of £350 burning your pocket (rough cost in the UK), you can do it at 16K miles but it is very unlikely you will find any valve out of spec. Most people who have shared their findings (myself included) did not find any valve gap out of spec even at 32K ml. You pays your money..

·
Registered
200 Posts
We know the Honda technician network will know the characteristics of these engines and what the actual average clearance is at the scheduled intervals. At the same time the network needs our revenue to exist. The 32k schedule is comprehensive but as someone who does not have comprehensive knowledge of the engine, I will be checking my valve clearances at 16k. This is the only way I will know they are not too tight. I guess there some annual mileage rates that mean this period could be quite a while. If we are flush with money then it's no problem sending it to the dealer. On the other hand, if we are mechanically competent and many of us are, I see no issue carrying out the job ourselves. Whether we are competent to do the job, how far away the dealer is and what will the valve clearance be at 16k need to be considered. It would also be interesting to know how many dealer 16k valve check invoices list inlet valve shims under parts used.

So, in a nutshell I will be having my valves checked at 16k until I see more than anecdotal evidence that the risk of going to 32k is virtually zero. I also think that maintaining the bike is part of the fun of ownership, especially as the job is not difficult.

Not sure my rambling has added anything or moved this discussion forward!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't believe in conspiracy theories where the implication is that a 16K check is some kind of money making scam.

If Honda thought the 16K check was unnecessary they would be clear about that in the owners manual. Also Im very aware as we all should be of the very first condition governing the warranty. Something i place a very high value on.

The following items are not covered by the Honda warranty.

Any damage that results from neglect of the periodic maintenance in the manner specified by Honda.

Of course.. what others choose to do (or not do) to their bikes is entirely up to them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe the 16k check is more important than the 32k check. From my years of experience the valves initially seat in and then tend to hold their spacing better. I would rather know at 16k that my exhaust valves are not to tight and adjust them to the loose side of spec rather than wait until 32k with a tight exhaust valve. I would then be comfortable skipping the 32k check knowing that I'm not burning an exhaust valve. There is an old airhead Bmw saying, " A slappy valve is a happy valve", meaning a loose valve will never burn.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just did valve check at 27,000kms. Valves were perfect. I called the local Honda dealer for an estimate it was $1,600 plus tax Can. I plan on putting 40,000kms this year and will extend interval until then. I am a cheapskate and a willing but unskilled mechanic so I stripped the bike down until I started shaking and sweating. I searched for a home motorcycle shop and let him continue. $320 no tax. I still have to put my stuff back together and there was a risk taken but this is for me a yearly service and I’ll take my chances.

·
Super Moderator
6,780 Posts
Just did valve check at 27,000kms. Valves were perfect. I called the local Honda dealer for an estimate it was $1,600 plus tax Can. I plan on putting 40,000kms this year and will extend interval until then. I am a cheapskate and a willing but unskilled mechanic so I stripped the bike down until I started shaking and sweating. I searched for a home motorcycle shop and let him continue. $320 no tax. I still have to put my stuff back together and there was a risk taken but this is for me a yearly service and I’ll take my chances.
Yikes! :oops: That is a lotta stash for arguably a "check".

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the record
I have just checked the valves on my AT 2017 at 23500kms.
Result:
Three of four inlet valves was out of spec. (on the loose side)
One was 0,25mm (target is 0,16)

I´d say you do need to perform this first check.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Guys. I have a picture of the service manual and I have a really dumb question regarding the interval after 25600km. Is the next internal supposed to be just another 25600 ie 51200?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
What I meant was, from what I've read on forums, people that have checked the valves, didn't need to adjust them.
I did the 25000km service on my 2016 (mine since new) manual AT this summer and I am glad I did (minus the cost) as there was some adjustment to be done and it runs MUCH better now. The cost can be a deterrent for sure but it is hard to tell if they are out of spec until you ride it after the adjustment. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Guys. I have a picture of the service manual and I have a really dumb question regarding the interval after 25600km. Is the next internal supposed to be just another 25600 ie 51200?

First inspection at 16k miles and every 8k miles thereafter into perpetuity :)
It's a Honda after all
My dealer performed 3x valve clearance inspections and adjusted every time back to spec.
Don't underestimate Honda engineering recommendations; they have been at it for some time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
First inspection at 16k miles and every 8k miles thereafter into perpetuity :)
It's a Honda after all
My dealer performed 3x valve clearance inspections and adjusted every time back to spec.
Don't underestimate Honda engineering recommendations; they have been at it for some time.
Hey there, surely you cannot do a valve check every 8,000 miles that would be a 1000$ service every year say?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hey there, surely you cannot do a valve check every 8,000 miles that would be a 1000$ service every year say?

That's what you get when relying on other peeps info? lol
Valve check is suggested every 16k miles.

Your photo shows the 2020 service manual and looks to me like a misprint, again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's what you get when relying on other peeps info? lol
Valve check is suggested every 16k miles.

Your photo shows the 2020 service manual and looks to me like a misprint, again.
Hi DCTFAN, my manual is from a 2016

·
Registered
577 Posts
That's odd. My 2016 manual does not have those mileage intervals but the 2020 owners manual does.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I checked my 2018 at around 24,000 miles. Intake was good. Exhausts were out. This is on a daily ridden bike. Will check them again around 48,000. 16k is too soon and would cost me too much so I went with something in between. After the second check depending where they land I will hold off even further.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts