Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
All motors make noise, rc51 v twin make's a different valve noise, the gear drive v-4 vfr valve train make a different noise, and this motor is parallel twin 270 crank unicam and it makes a different noise, it is a off beat noise, and it makes great torque. Honda know motors. Valve noise change's through it's rpm range like all motors. ride it and check valve's at 19,000 kms. [like the service manual say's] This bike give's me a big smile.
Lol, all motors do make noise that is true. I just picked up a used 17 AT and mine too make an almost chain tensioner noise at 2k rmp in 2nd, 3rd gear. It's not a normal sounds as a friend of mine has the same one with 17k miles and sounds super tight, zero noise. I've been riding for 44 years and have wrenched on motos for years. I'd sure love to know if there's anyone else out there with this same issue before diving down a rabbit hole!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Shifting-T.

I haven't had many "mechanically quiet" m/c's, and in particular Honda. My Honda generator is ultra quiet, and so is the lawn mower. All my CBs weren't particularly quiet. The AT is mostly quiet. The Honda NC750X, I recall, was probably the quietest, mechanically speaking.

Do you try a search on the Forum for chain-tensioner type of sounds/issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Shifting-T.

I haven't had many "mechanically quiet" m/c's, and in particular Honda. My Honda generator is ultra quiet, and so is the lawn mower. All my CBs weren't particularly quiet. The AT is mostly quiet. The Honda NC750X, I recall, was probably the quietest, mechanically speaking.

Do you try a search on the Forum for chain-tensioner type of sounds/issues?
i did and didn't find any. Road the bike again a few times and theres def a noise that's not coming from my friends bike. guess i'm gonna have to take it in. Hoping Honda wont stick it to me...

·
Registered
179 Posts
I get pretty obsessed with "strange" noises. A few things that I've encountered on my bike.... Keys rattling, pannier latch, loose kickstand, rocks on top of skid plate, loose spark plug wire........ The sound that gave the most trouble... It only came on during certain rpms under a load was my horn rattling against the bracket of my crash bars. It took me forever to find it. I thought it was an internal engine noise the way it sounded. Everything was tight, but they were touching so when conditions were right, or wrong, it made a very worrisome rattle.

I hope this is the case for you, that the noise is coming from an accessory or externally. Noises can be tough to chase.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I get pretty obsessed with "strange" noises. A few things that I've encountered on my bike.... Keys rattling, pannier latch, loose kickstand, rocks on top of skid plate, loose spark plug wire........ The sound that gave the most trouble... It only came on during certain rpms under a load was my horn rattling against the bracket of my crash bars. It took me forever to find it. I thought it was an internal engine noise the way it sounded. Everything was tight, but they were touching so when conditions were right, or wrong, it made a very worrisome rattle.

I hope this is the case for you, that the noise is coming from an accessory or externally. Noises can be tough to chase.
Agreed - especially if the bike is new.

So far my annoying rattle sound is the ring attached to my ignition key when riding. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with fuelpincher, all engines make noise some more than others. I’m not saying ignore all noises but know your bike and the noises it makes and if anything changes then start to look into it otherwise your just chasing your tail. My 2016 AT ticks all the time and I’m convinced it’s injectors. I have a 2018 Goldwings too and guess what, it ticks also (injectors)
Don’t leave these normal engine sounds ruin your ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agreed - especially if the bike is new.

So far my annoying rattle sound is the ring attached to my ignition key when riding. :)
thanks for the feed back but as i previously stated i've been riding a motorcycle since i was 5 years old...race both moto x and road, reached on bike years ago so all of the above is pretty much a no brainer to look for. this is a very specific nose/engine rattle. The bike isn't new, it has 7k on it. anyway, appreciate the input...i guess i'll just have to put off riding her and start digging deep.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts