Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
You’re covering a lot of ground. Are you taking time to enjoy the places you’ve been?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You’re covering a lot of ground. Are you taking time to enjoy the places you’ve been?
Short answer, absolutely. Long answer is I feel no need to justify my travel choices to some dude online.

What kind of gas mileage are you getting fully loaded 2 up like that?
As long as we keep speeds reasonable I've been seeing an average of 40 to 50 mpg on the instant consumption. I haven't sat down and figured it out though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Day 12 - Rode the best section of coastal Baja yesterday. Incredible mountain and desert views, gorgeous beaches and some of my favourite pueblos along the way. Stayed in a great new hotel in Loreto last night. This town was the first place I had my radiator welded and the beginning of a long Margaritaville-esque wait on my 2019 KLR trip. The Twin is so far in perfect order. We haven't lost a PSI of air from the tires and I've only added about 300ml of oil in 12 days and 5000km of daily hard riding.

I forgot to mention that it is officially very hot here.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

Water Sky Tire Wheel Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Sky Water Cloud

Sky Building Tree Road surface Temple

Sky Tire Cloud Wheel Plant

Building Sky Window Brickwork Brick

Water Sky Plant Building Blue

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Over the last several days we rested in Cabo and "took care" of the the fact that we were unknowingly undocumented illegals in Mexico. We then organized a Mexican temporary import permit for the motorcycle so we could take it to mainland Mexico. We got tickets for the La Paz - Topolobampo ferry which required going through Mexican customs again? (hence having to take care of getting proper documents). A 9 hour ferry later (plus three hours baking in the sun waiting to load) and we arrived in Sinaloa around 11pm. Thankfully there was a lively bar onboard.

We walked around Topolobampo for an hour in the morning, then headed out. They just painted almost the whole town in vibrant colours. Quite impressive.

We rolled north through Sinaloa then Sonora, eventually finding out way to Hermosillo. A surprisingly large (1 million) and modern city in the middle of the desert. Got another great room for under 40 bucks that had the added benefit of a full 15 person Mariachi band called La Explosiva practicing in the parking lot at night.

We left Hermosillo and headed for Nogales. It was hot and the new Guardia Nacional were patrolling the highway in force. Large convoys of troop trucks and .50 cals. It was off passing/ending up between trucks in the convoy. A lot more intimidating than the old Federales. I think we also went through about 15 military inspection points from Tijuana to Cabo and up to Nogales.

We headed north through central Arizona, and found ourselves on some dirt roads for about 60 miles. Crashed a few times in deep sand. Somehow my wife hasn't held me accountable yet, lol.

Departing our favourite hotel in San Jose Del Cabo
Sky Paint Road surface Motor vehicle Asphalt

I had to sit under a disconnected semi trailer for shade for a few hours while waiting to board Baja Ferries. My wife was made to sit in the nice air conditioned waiting room and was driven on in a nice air conditioned van. If you take this ferry, make sure you have your FMM, buy your TIP, bring tie downs, and have patience.
Sky Tire Vehicle Wheel Water

Steaming into Topolobampo
Water Sky Watercraft Vehicle Musical instrument

Topolobampo
Tire Wheel Water Sky Vehicle

Lighting Road surface Plant Wood Sky

Plant Window Wood Fawn Tree

Sky Blue Plant Building Mountain

Water Sky Mountain Azure Lake

21 - 40 of 56 Posts