Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the Africa Twin has three settings for engine braking. Does anyone know how this works. I have always thought that engine braking was a function of engine size, compression ratio and rotating mass. All of these are fixed. The only thing I can think of is the amount of air that is drawn in on the overrun is changed so there is less air to compress. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I see the Africa Twin has three settings for engine braking. Does anyone know how this works. I have always thought that engine braking was a function of engine size, compression ratio and rotating mass. All of these are fixed. The only thing I can think of is the amount of air that is drawn in on the overrun is changed so there is less air to compress. Any ideas ?
Kev - it can't be just those 3 factors that are relevant. My Triumph Rocket 3 has a 2.3 litre engine each piston displaces 800cc, and in its current incarnation it's quite high compression. But the bike has virtually no engine braking (which I have come to love as it makes dawdling and town work very pleasant). These days I won't have a bike with harsh engine decelaeration. My Versys at only 650cc was a pig for it, and it made for very tiring riding.
From what you are saying - Honda's new systems are above and beyond the different engine braking you get in the 3 sport modes of the DCT?
Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
DCT compression braking

From the short time I have owned my DCT AT, as you begin braking the transmission begins shifting downward causing compression braking, down shifting into 1st at a few MPH. Very much unlike a car with an automatic transmission. This is all very slick as far as I am concerned. I had read elsewhere that I would have to manually shift to a lower gear to get this effect but, when I have paid attention, the Engineers have programmed the DCT to act very much like a manual trans.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
BigKev, I think you are talking about the Sport option on the DCT transmission. They aren't all about engine braking. Sport changes the shift patterns from the standard Drive settings to keep a gear longer when accelerating, and not shift into 6th gear too soon. This also affects engine braking in that it will shift you into a lower gear sooner when deaccelerating, but it is a function of DCT transmission mapping, not changes to the engine itself. I keep mine on Sport 2, as Sport 3 tends to wind the motor out too much and shifts down really quickly, and "D" is just too wimpy around town. When you start it and hit the "S" button to put it in gear, hit it again, immediately and it will switch between 1,2 and 3.

·
Registered
97 Posts
BigKev, I just from an earlier post of yours that you have an AT Adventure Sport. I have no idea what the available settings are for that bike as I have the std '17 AT w/ DCT.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Very much like my VFR1200DCT which has only 1 sport gear (S) but does enjine braking as you close the throttle, really does the job well in mountain passes. At the same time you save brake padding.. In my 20km ride on the AF dct I found the same thing with the sport modes, which make decelerating safer because of the immediate enjine braking on throttle closure. This causes the rear to brake first which settles the bike more before you add additional braking.. Of course in the long run the brake pads should also last longer than it would have on the manual..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts