Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, i am buying my first ADV. I have plenty of road and dirt experience on dedicated road and dirt machines. Now i want ADV, i am very keenon the 2020 AT and will be testing on Sat and buying something soon after.

Will likely be 70/30 road/dirt. I like something a little lively and very comfy on the road, but manageable as possible on the dirt. i dont want a giant machine.

I think the CRF1100L (black and red model) is for me generally, however, i do have one or two big trips planned where the big tank would be nice. Rest of the time i dont really need any bulk.

I have a naked roadie so i dont need fairing, but a 10000km trip it might start being an issue. Is there any difference between the CRF1100L and the AS model in terms of winds and comfort on long trips? (i dont want DCT or ES).

How big a difference in power/comfort/handling (not gizmos) between the 2017 and 2020?

My wife is also buying one, but she will check out a few models and make sure she doesnt get anything too massive. She has a 1200cc street bike, she can handle the power, its the weight and bulk that might be an issue for her. For maintenance and spares, i'd really like to buy a pair of whatever i buy.

·
Super Moderator
4,071 Posts
Welcome to the Forum @JimmyTheHuman.

All Africa Twins are big. The ATAS versions are even more wieldy with the extra large fuel tank. There is definitely enough power whether going with the 1000 or 1100 cc model. They are long haul highway worthy and IMHO well-behaved, especially with a windshield upgrade or supplement. They are no dirt bike, so be prepared to manage the weight, but many Forum members will write that they are surprisingly balanced in the dirt. 2020 has many new tech features over previous years. They come at a premium. Those features are described many times that a Forum search will reveal.

·
Super Moderator
2,265 Posts
@JimmyTheHuman

One of the best balanced bikes I’ve ridden, but , that said it’s very unforgiving if you get that weight to far over, I’ve never felt unsecure on it in routs grave or dirt. It is what it is .. A large adventure class motorcycle. It’s not an enduro that you can rip along a track on or toss around on a trail. She is big a bit bulky and her weight is unforgiving.
Can you take her around a track, sure. But then you can take a road train around a GT track too, just expect a LOT of work and it not to do well...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well Jimmy,
I was new to the A/T about 7 months ago but, been riding for oh, maybe 50+ years and mostly Honda Goldwings. So., myh street experience is far and above my dirt life. But, I do have quite a bit of off road too. I will tell you this. Mine is an '18 AT/AS/DCT and, yep, without a doubt, it's fairly top heavy. I'm 6' 2.5" tall and 245 lbs. and goofed up one time in mis-reading a road and u-turn and, the A/T decided to take a nap, right there in the middle of the road.

Without help, and the down hill slant of the road, a full tank, and a top heavy AT/AS, I could not pick it up. Thankfully there were observers watching the whole thing. They ran to my assistance.

Now, I only tell you all this to let you know, the AT/AS is a heavy bike and, in slow operations, you better have good balance and stability. At any other speed other than ultra slow, the AT/AS and, the DCT, is PHENOMENALLY FUN! I love this bike. I have had it in a few mild off road scenarios and forest service roads and, as has been stated, it's not a bike you can toss around easily to keep upright in ugly terrain. Don't get me wrong here. Once you get more and more used to it, and just what it does and how you handle what it does, you get more and more comfortable.

As for the wife, I might suggest her take a look at the NC750X. It's supposedly in the same class an an A/T only, smaller. And it also comes in the DCT as well as manual. Just something to think about.
Scott

·
Registered
122 Posts
The 1100 AS has totally different geometry to the previous years AS models and is much closer to the base models usability. In my opinion, it feels closer to a dual sport than any of the big adventure bikes, despite the larger tank. I really enjoy giving this bike the goods off road. On road it has the mileage, power and stance to really take you the distance. I am 6', 190lbs and I often feel like the bike is smaller than it is while in the saddle. That being said, like all heavy machines, once you lose it, its gone. No arguing that point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1100ATAS is only 8kg heavier than my roadie...but i admittedly dont ride it offroad that much. I dont plan on trying to ride this in enduro style either...but i want to get it dirty without it beating me to death.

I think my main question is, the AS model will be ideal when on safari, but for weekender or even daya trips to the hills it might be too much. I think i need to be clear about how much offroad and how hard offroad to answer the crf11000L vs crf1100atas question?

Is there any difference with HWY wind between these models?

We dont get the 700 here in Aus. we need to look at other brands. I think she'd fine on the base/manual model, hope to find out on the weekend...stupid covid means everything in short supply, including demo models.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The AS has the adjustable windscreen which helps. For me the additional range was the main reason for going with the AS. I do long trips with a friend on an '18 base model and his mileage has been a serious pain on my KLR and on the 1100 AS.

The tubeless tires and cruise control are the other major benefits of the AS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts