Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HSTC (Honda Selectable Torque Control)
How does it work in actual riding?
Does anyone know what it supposed to feel like?

I know it reduces or kills torque to the rear wheel,
but is it like closing the throttle all the way or something else?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An update and follow up observations to my OP:

Riding home on the highway, at a stop, taking off first in line with green light.
Selected level 1(lowest TQ)
Hoping to lift the front, I gave it a WOT
Sure enough, after a brief hesitation, front wheel lifted (only about an inch of two)
Then, almost simultaneously, heard some mechanical noise and the torque died, immediately followed by regular roll on acceleration.

Is this the way it works?
Anyone know a safe and easy way to wheelie stock bike using this HSTC?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm not sure. As far as I experienced, it is actually not a "torque control". It's rather an traction-control. It doesn't seem to change mappings or power. To my opinion it is reading the RPM of the front wheel and the rear wheel and it is comparing them. That's why you can't make a wheelie when it is on. As the system reads a difference in rotation between the two wheels, it closes the throttle. And, if that is not enough, it interrupts the ignition. Which results in a coughing engine... It's quite reliable !

By the way, switch it off, makes wheeliing quite easy.... (even no need to use the clutch)

·
Registered
61 Posts
all it does is kill the ignition - the bike feels like its broken when it kicks in (which on setting 3 is nearly all the time from a junction or exiting slow corners) - Karoo 3's exaggerate it mind. it takes a second or two to recover as well. first time it happened in the dry from a junction I nearly hit my face on the bars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What setting are people using! Didn't really get a good explanation from the dealer when I picked up the bike - something about wheel spin, more or less?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts