Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Syracuse, NY . Not sure if this is typical or not. I get a huge amount of handlebar vibration for 2-3 seconds at certain RPM and speed. For instance if I'm going 45 mph in 5th gear and moderately role on the throttle. I've had the AT 6 weeks and 500 miles. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Not typical and this does not seem to be an issue in general. Are any of your accessories causing this, incorrectly mounted engine bars have been a cause of vibration in a handful of cases, have any of the tyres been changed, were they balanced at the same time? Can you feel any play in the headstock (clutching at straws on that one on such a young bike)? You have some sort of issue, definately not standard.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine was smooth until I added SW Motech crash bars.
Also: "45 mph in 5th" and rolling on the throttle. Maybe a lugging the engine a little bit? I just got my AT and am very new to it, but from what I can recall that seems a little to low rpm's. I think I'd still be in 4th.

·
Registered
480 Posts
See post on the SW-Motech crashbar fitting, especially where you have fitted the front bar. It should not be in the U-channel on the side bars, it should be in front of it. There are other references to vibration with these bars incorrectly fitted too. It is a very easy mistake. Worth a look.

http://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/146434-post4.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
For me hitting 3000 miles cleared up a whole bunch of issues. Strange vibrations, awful shifting, weird noises, and unpredictable throttle response seemed to get better. Missing fewer shifts and clutchless upshifting is smoother than with the clutch. Also, neutral seems to be right where I left it rather than having to search for it. I have the SW Motech crash bars. So, I'd say give it a bit and you issues might clear up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also in Syracuse

NO such issues with mine. However, I am also in Syracuse and would be willing to do a compare between the two if you'd like. Always looking for someone to ride with as well. Let me know if interested.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What RPM? This thing has a 270 degree crank in it, the cylinders fire 90 degrees apart, so if lugging the engine that could be what your feeling.

Greetings from Syracuse, NY . Not sure if this is typical or not. I get a huge amount of handlebar vibration for 2-3 seconds at certain RPM and speed. For instance if I'm going 45 mph in 5th gear and moderately role on the throttle. I've had the AT 6 weeks and 500 miles. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent that would be great. You weren't by chance at the flat track race Saturday night? Red/white and blue with Honda Panniers?

·
Registered
21 Posts
True I've found the drive mode to be rather useless. It seems to just clunk clunk clunk to high gear to the point that the motor will rattle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts