Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Still getting to know my GoPro. Made another video.

Just a walkaround of my bike, showing a quick overview of my add-ons.

I hope to upload review videos of each add-on, beginning with the Touratech Panniers soon; showing them in more detail and going over the install process for each.

Forgive the awful sound quality. I really do need some sort of microphone for this stuff (or learn how to better modulate my voice). Watch your speakers as I grab the GoPro and it's closer to me.

I appreciate any comments. Hopefully, I'll get better with time and experience. (And with the weather finally appearing to turn here in VA, I hope to make some decent riding videos soon).

And Thanks for Watching!

Gary

Here's the link to the YouTube video: https://youtu.be/26TMfB0UY4I

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Gary!

Thanks for sharing! The sound is a bit muffled when you’re standing away from the camera, but otherwise they are good quality.

A few questions from me: I am wondering if the Hepco Becker handle guards are compatible with the Kaoko throttle lock I have. Do you have a throttle lock? With both sides mounted, how wide are the panniers? For the lower crashbars - do you feel there is adequate protection for the upper fairing between them and the stock light bar? GoPro 7?

Not on the video, but one thing I am wondering/thinking as I take a closer look at mine. The color of the wheels, motor, shocks and handlebars on mine are three different shades of gold/copper/metallic brown. I think it’d look better if they were all the same. Is it me?

That is what I am curious about so far. Great looking machine!

Bookem

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bookem,

Thanks for watching my video and for the comments; I really appreciate it.

Yes, sound is a real issue. The least I can do, while deciding on a mic, is to better modulate my voice and I’m going to give that a try. (I'm using an old GoPro Hero 3+ for now).

To your questions:

I don’t know if the Hepco & Becker handlebar protectors will work with the throttle lock—I don’t have one. But that’s a good question. I guess it’s all about the end screw fitting properly through the ring at the end of the handlebar guard and working with the throttle lock too. (If I get a throttle lock, I’ll keep you posted).

The panniers are 39 in. wide when on the bike. I know a lot of people say the Touratechs seem wide, but they are pretty much average as aftermarket panniers go. (This is for the 38L/ 31L set).
For example, my handlebars are 35 inches end to end but with the Hepco & Becker guards it’s 38 inches end to end. So, where my guards/ handlebars can go, the panns can go for the most part. (But for off-road stuff, I’ll be using soft bags for the most part—for the time being, anyway).

Re. the Hepco & Becker engine guards. I love these things. They did a great job of protecting the bike in my hard fall/ slide last time out. They lever the bike up quite a bit. But I was also using the H&B OEM bar bags (stuffed) and that part hit too (the OEM bars—cushioned by the bags). I did notice the inside of the bar bag rubbed a bit against the fairing, but it was a *very* minor scratch, just behind the OEM bar at top. The OEM bars appear to have flexed a bit. But the H&B lowers took the brunt of the fall and the bike then slid on the OEM upper (protected by the bar bag) and the flexing was minor, at best. The bike came down hard at about 15 MPH around a corner and into the dirt and was none the worse for the wear. And no part of the bike between the lowers and the uppers hit the dirt--not a scratch on the tank, etc.). I’m very satisfied at this point with the H&B lowers in combo with the bar bags on the OEM uppers.
You can certainly get better upper protection, but for my riding, this setup should work just fine.

I think you're right about the different shades of gold on the bike. But I kind of like the way it looks—the wheels and handlebars sort of match and the motor and shocks are a bit darker shade. I think it makes it pop a bit. But I never really thought about it much.

I added another walkaround video last night with a bit more detail. (But one I did a few weeks ago). You can find it at my YouTube main page or here:

https://youtu.be/aiecMagEjOg

I just go over all the add-ons with a bit more detail on each and talk a little bit about what I did for winter storage, and a bit more about the slide I took and what happened.

But I plan to do proper review videos on all the mods with install info too, starting with my panniers soon.

And I hope to do some riding videos real soon. Maybe even within the next week.

I really appreciate you watching.

And thanks for the comments.

All the best, Gary

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's looking for cats and squirrels to chase!

He is a bit of a distraction, isn't he? But my wife says he should be in all my videos.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I didn’t even notice your dog, sorry! I was to focused on your bike.

Thanks for answering my questions, Gary. I pulled the trigger on the Hepco Becker handguards and they will be here next week. I saw on a separate thread they are compatible with the throttle lock, I like the look and based on your testimony, they will do the trick I am sure.

When you do the video on the panniers, one thing I am curious about is how easily the racks can come off after the install. They seem rock solid and would offer crash protection on the dirt (something I am keenly interested in) but I went with the OEM luggage because I wanted a clean look when I take the panniers off.

Looking forward to seeing the riding videos, too. Ride safe and thanks for sharing!

Bookem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts