Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
I must be one of the few who read the operators manual for my vehicles. Probably from flying where pilots were taught to read the manual for any plane you were going to fly. It surprising what may or may not be in the manual. I was not informed the ATAS had a lithium batter before I bought it. As others mentioned bump starting a DCT is not an option. Considering the height of any Africa Twin bump starting is not an option for the solo rider. If you have someone willing to try push it, great. I lucked in a few years ago when replacing my failed battery charger. I purchased a NOCO Genius G3500 3.5A unit. It has functions for lead acid, AGM and Lithium. It also has a water resistant (possibly water proof) case, incorrect polarity protection, is light and reasonably compact. NOCO makes larger and smaller chargers as well. Other manufacturers must make suitable chargers at reasonable costs. Considering the cost of the OEM battery a new charger may be a good investment for the home shop.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I must be one of the few who read the operators manual for my vehicles. Probably from flying where pilots were taught to read the manual for any plane you were going to fly. It surprising what may or may not be in the manual. I was not informed the ATAS had a lithium batter before I bought it. As others mentioned bump starting a DCT is not an option. Considering the height of any Africa Twin bump starting is not an option for the solo rider. If you have someone willing to try push it, great. I lucked in a few years ago when replacing my failed battery charger. I purchased a NOCO Genius G3500 3.5A unit. It has functions for lead acid, AGM and Lithium. It also has a water resistant (possibly water proof) case, incorrect polarity protection, is light and reasonably compact. NOCO makes larger and smaller chargers as well. Other manufacturers must make suitable chargers at reasonable costs. Considering the cost of the OEM battery a new charger may be a good investment for the home shop.
Nothing wrong with following manufacturer's recommendations and Honda's for that matter.
However, a Noco charger did not make it on the recommended list (neither did many others that may be just as good).
Just fact; not diminishing your choice, here.
EarthX does sell a nice little quick-connect cable that plugs into their jump pack.

View attachment 53263

and Motorcycle.com has a little information here on the proper procedures for doing it...

Nothing new ....
Also no jump start if you have an oem honda LI IO , cause the fuse inside can pop and replace it is not an easy operation (you have to take apart the battery body result in broke the plastic)
Unfortunately none of the EarthX offerings will fit.
But reading the linked article is somewhat comforting to know that race teams actually do jump the Li-Ions.
Of course, with their budget- what's another dead Li-Ion?

My solution is to find a suitable replacement for the expensive HY110 from day 1.
That way, if I have to jump-start and kill a cheaper battery I'll be able to live with it
I do understand how one might feel if that happened with the OE :)
The
LFX14L2-BS12
is: 1mm longer than the HY110 battery, however, so need to check if you can fit another mm.
Dimensions are: Width (front to back) 58mm (2.28”) ; Length (side to side) 113mm (4.45”); Height 89mm (3.50”)
I'll report back if I decide to go this route.

·
Registered
406 Posts
...My solution is to find a suitable replacement for the expensive HY110 from day 1.
That way, if I have to jump-start and kill a cheaper battery I'll be able to live with it
I do understand how one might feel if that happened with the OE :)

Dimensions are: Width (front to back) 58mm (2.28”) ; Length (side to side) 113mm (4.45”); Height 89mm (3.50”)
I'll report back if I decide to go this route.
The Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 doesn't appear to be a good substitute to the OEM HY110 as per their words.
This is what Shorai wrote to a friend of mine regarding that battery replacing the OEM one:
“Hello,
Per Shorai Inc USA, none of the Shorai battery can be used to replace that battery.
Regards,
Simon”

·
Administrator
1,986 Posts
Simon would have been more helpful if he had gone as far as to explain why it wouldn't be a good substitute. If it is strictly due to the difference in dimensions, that can be worked around with spacers.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,134 Posts
Simon would have been more helpful if he had gone as far as to explain why it wouldn't be a good substitute. If it is strictly due to the difference in dimensions, that can be worked around with spacers.

Agreed.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes, the answer is pretty poor but that's what he've got. Maybe someone else could contact them asking some more details.

·
Administrator
1,986 Posts
Yes, the answer is pretty poor but that's what he've got. Maybe someone else could contact them asking some more details.
Yeah, I will do that and ask if there is some reason other than the dimensions why it won't work. Hopefully I will get someone to give a more detailed response :)

Edit: Done. I attached the spec sheet for the Eliiypower HY110. I asked them if there was any reason other than the obvious difference in dimensions for why it would not be a suitable substitute. I will report what they say. :)

·
Registered
2018 AT
11 Posts
If your able to fit an elephant into a matchbox then an alternative battery is easy to find . All the batteries I found are at least twice the size of the battery box on 2018 onwards

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am in no way advocating the use of this battery as a replacement for the Eliy.
I just had to find a suitable replacement for myself.
The first thing you see when you open the box is a disclaimer by Shorai
about the incorrect use of a battery that is not "suitable" bla bla.

·
Super Moderator
4,134 Posts
Thanks for the update @DCTFAN. Forum members in the future will appreciate your effort when scoping for an alternative lithium battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My AMZN order came in.
The elephant is in the box :)

View attachment 53420
I ordered and received the Shorai. It's actually a little smaller than the OEM but easy to accommodate with the supplied foams. Have you experienced problems when turning in on especially when the bike is cold (and the weather too) I'm in NY, it's not too cold yet but it seems to have difficulties to start in the morning. I'm about to resign and spend the $400 on the OEM. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I ordered and received the Shorai. It's actually a little smaller than the OEM but easy to accommodate with the supplied foams. Have you experienced problems when turning in on especially when the bike is cold (and the weather too) I'm in NY, it's not too cold yet but it seems to have difficulties to start in the morning. I'm about to resign and spend the $400 on the OEM. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks
Even with OEM battery I'd say it usually is harder to start than most modern bikes. Maybe if you have a video of you starting the bike we could compare. If I don't use my bike for over a week, when I go to start it, it tends to not start as easily as if I parked it just the day before. Don't get me wrong, its not hard to start and I don't need multiple tries, but I've had bikes that even if I started them in the shed in the middle of winter at -20C it would start like I was just back from a ride. It is a big engine to crank and needs a lot of energy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Even with OEM battery I'd say it usually is harder to start than most modern bikes. Maybe if you have a video of you starting the bike we could compare. If I don't use my bike for over a week, when I go to start it, it tends to not start as easily as if I parked it just the day before. Don't get me wrong, its not hard to start and I don't need multiple tries, but I've had bikes that even if I started them in the shed in the middle of winter at -20C it would start like I was just back from a ride. It is a big engine to crank and needs a lot of energy.
Same here, it starts great once it's warm. Cannot compare with the OEM cold performance as I just got it this spring. The Shorai has even a higher CCA that technically will help more in the cold - I guess as I'm not an expert. Where are you located? I will get a video and uploaded to compare. My previous GS 800 with the lead acid batt never had problems in the winter neither.
Thanks for the response

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Same here, it starts great once it's warm. Cannot compare with the OEM cold performance as I just got it this spring. The Shorai has even a higher CCA that technically will help more in the cold - I guess as I'm not an expert. Where are you located? I will get a video and uploaded to compare. My previous GS 800 with the lead acid batt never had problems in the winter neither.
Thanks for the response
QC, Canada, so quite used to cold weather here :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't have experience with temps below 32F as it seldom gets down that low in GA.
But with lithium, the battery internals can be warmed up sufficiently by turning on the high beam for a minute or two before cranking.

I've also purchased the Shorai lithium charger/balancer. Giving the battery a good "cell balanced" charge is key to top performance.
The onboard charging on the bike is not sufficient to keep the Shorai in top performance levels; only the specific charger can do that.

·
Administrator
1,986 Posts
I didn't have any issues with the Lithium Ion battery last year, even in single digits. I didn't have to turn on the high beams or anything. It just started up. Hopefully it will continue to do the same this year :)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 47 Posts