Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,134 Posts
The lithium battery did not complain January or February 2020 when ambient air temperatures can sustain at -35C. Most times, however, I would start-up no colder than -25C. It will be interesting to determine how winter 2020/2021 will be like on the battery.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Can you elaborate on this? I was planning to buy a booster (Noco GB20) for a long trip just in case the battery has any problem. Could it be used to "jump start" the bike safely? TIA
(I have an OEM Lion battery on my 2018 DCT).
I knew it was/is a Lion battery on my bike and so would never dream of plugging in my Accumate Pro charger, but I have been carrying a small jump pack on long journeys, assuming I could use that if I'd inadvertently left something connected to the bike overnight. Has this been put to the test? Will a jump pack always blow the battery fuse?
Mike
PS - great info on the replacement battery - in the UK that Shorai is 1/3 of the price of the OEM

·
Super Moderator
4,134 Posts
I knew it was/is a Lion battery on my bike and so would never dream of plugging in my Accumate Pro charger, but I have been carrying a small jump pack on long journeys, assuming I could use that if I'd inadvertently left something connected to the bike overnight. Has this been put to the test? Will a jump pack always blow the battery fuse?
Mike
PS - great info on the replacement battery - in the UK that Shorai is 1/3 of the price of the OEM
The jumper pack fuse?

No connection lead coming straight off the battery? That fuse should be large capacity.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Speedo007,
Don't feed the keyboard tough guys. It's generally people with low self esteem that feel the need to denigrate others from the safety of their keyboards.
Thank you for posting something that might help others avoid a costly mistake.
Not sure if you have seen this thread I started a while back. See the last post in the thread about jump starting. I did it on my 2018 AT lithium ion battery and I have seen no negative side effects thus far.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The jumper pack fuse?

No connection lead coming straight off the battery? That fuse should be large capacity.
Not sure about the 2018 ATAS but my 2019 ATAS came with a separate wire harness that runs directly from the battery and ends up near the seat on the left side with an SAE battery tender connector and has a 10A fuse holder in the positive side of the circuit. This makes an ideal place to recharge or boost if needed without going through the main harness.

·
Super Moderator
4,134 Posts
Not sure about the 2018 ATAS but my 2019 ATAS came with a separate wire harness that runs directly from the battery and ends up near the seat on the left side with an SAE battery tender connector and has a 10A fuse holder in the positive side of the circuit. This makes an ideal place to recharge or boost if needed without going through the main harness.
Sounds about right. It seems that many Honda Power Sports dealers are adding the SAE cable for battery tendering on new bike purchases.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts