Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
But that's the point, the pulley on the TB isn't directly connected to the butterfly. The throttle is only connected to the brain. This is not the 'simple' bike some people think it is. Ride it and enjoy but it's not a mechanical throttle, it's simply not practical with EURO4 regs.
You need to do better than "assert" the pulley on the TB isn't directly connected to the butterfly DervMan. On it's face the statement makes no sense; what else would the pulley on the throttle body be connected to if not the rod to which the butterflies are attached, and which causes them to open and close and engine speed to increase and decrease? Further, if I read the parts microfiche (THROTTLE BODY section) correctly, the cables from the hand throttle do connect directly to the throttle body pulley, on the right hand side of the TB, just where the butterflies are located. As for the throttle cables, they are both one piece and don't seem to have any connection to the ECU (brain). Unless you can show where and how that is not so, I believe Beamer has it right. your dealer has it wrong; the Africa Twin does have a mechanical throttle and is not ride by wire.

This is a link to the fiche: http://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hon/5702d20c87a8660f4c83bd8b/throttle-body

Your dealer might have misinterpreted the function of the idle air control valve assembly set (assembly), which has a "motor" but the motor regulates air needed by the engine at idle. That motor is probably controlled by the ECU but it is not connected to the butterfly rod or plates and would have no effect on engine speed other than at idle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The very reason I Picked the manual gears. I had an awful experience with Ducati and their electronics and vowed never to go fancy electronics again. My ideal bike would just have ABS, even points ignition. Tech is fine until it goes bad. Fine on the race track where there is all the support and experts but crap on the adventure trail or outback.
50 years of experience tells me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The very reason I Picked the manual gears. I had an awful experience with Ducati and their electronics and vowed never to go fancy electronics again. My ideal bike would just have ABS, even points ignition. Tech is fine until it goes bad. Fine on the race track where there is all the support and experts but crap on the adventure trail or outback.
50 years of experience tells me.
^^THIS^^

A year late to the party, but browsing the twenty plus pages, I couldn't have said it better.
I like the idea of DCT in heavy traffic and in rough hill climbs, but seems to add a layer of complexity to break at the most inopportune of times. Yes bikes have a lot of tech these days, but maybe we should also evaluate wether all the new bits belong on each bike. At least with a manual, if out on the trail one can limp home with no clutch, or even stuck in one gear.
This is an adventure bike, not a city tourer or track machine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi fellow Honda riders. I've had a same experience on my July 2018 DCT Africa Twin Adv Sport. Bike has been with Honda since 3rd of September 2018. On 2/9/2018 I and my pillion wife were out on a run around some of County Tyrones beauty spots. In the Gortin Glens Carpark we were sitting, bike in S1, revs gathered and bike took off without input from me or so I believe, crashing into another bike knocking him to the ground causing almost £1000 of damage. We on the other hand continued until bike rested on a low wall. We were both shocked as you can imagine, my wife suffering bruised ribs which are taking forever to heal. So bike taken to Hursts Honda Belfast with 1052 miles. Diagnostics apparently showed nothing as did their run out on it. It was returned to me as they needed space. I contacted Honda UK and may as well not. I contacted Honda Customer Relations and same may as well not. Bike is now at GS Honda, Ballymena. The chap lifting bike did say he believed something was not right with throttle and bike was transported for fixing. It may be fixed soon but I don't know what to do. I'm afraid of this bike and don't wish to ride it again so no doubt it'll be for sale. Though the issue is what happened and I sincerely hope that it never happens to anyone else. I wish I had contact with someone who could point me in the right direction to help others.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh, on another note what are you gonna do when your clutch cable snaps?
In most places ride it without using the clutch by managing engine revs and go buy a new clutch cable, in the middle of nowhere ride it without using the clutch by managing engine revs and go buy a new clutch cable. If I was going off road then do some prep (install spare cables) and swap to a spare clutch cable already installed alongside the first one. (used to ride my KTM all the time off road without using the clutch – worked fine)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same problem on my new A/T dct picked upJan 29Th 19 please contact me regarding this . how far have you got ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
No longer on road, checked MOT history, no bike existed!

Hi All - sorry for the lack of updates, there was really nothing to report until last night. My days have been filled with anger and frustration at Honda UK Customer Service who leave me voicemails saying, 'We've an update on your bike' - only for me to find out when I call back that it's a courtesy call to yet again say they know fook all. To be fair, my case seems to have been stuck with a work experience kid who's no knowledge of bikes or riding. Everything he says appears to be scripted :)

In summary: the dealer, Blade Honda Swindon (big shout out to those guys) have been excellent - great communication, lending me bikes - going out of their way to try to keep me happy and genuinely being empathetic towards the crazy situation I found myself in

The dealer has basically followed instructions from Honda Japan (case was escalated Honda UK, Honda Europe, Honda Japan very quickly). They have replaced switchgear, gearbox sensors, ECU and clutch solenoids - however for the past week have been put on hold and told not to let me have the bike back. I presume that if I just walked into the dealer I have the right to take back my property? :)

What's maddened me is that this is my machine, that I paid cash for - yet at no point has anybody actually asked me if it's OK to do all this work, nor provided any justification for doing it whatsoever. I told Honda that they should be paying me a daily rate for using my bike as a test bed whilst they assess the financial impact of a recall

I have been promised a technical report by Honda for over 2 weeks now. Nothing. I honestly don't think I'll ever get anything from them. The final straw came yesterday when I again pushed for escalation and was told, "Honda are sending technicians over from Japan to investigate and we have no idea how long that may take". Clearly something is very wrong here

Positive news though - somebody somewhere in Honda has realised that the situation is a bit of a joke and is arranging to drop off one of the Honda fleet Africa Twins for me to use for the duration it takes them to get me a brand new machine. This is good, it puts me back in the position I started - however they should have done this within the first two weeks in my mind

So I guess I'll never see VX16YYS again

Do I want another one? **** yes I do. Do I want DCT - oh yes. Will I try and get a black one with my old gold wheels on...........maybe

I checked to see if VX16YYS was still on the road, via "check MOT History" and its not listed, so either Honda can erase the errors or maybe the reg no was wrong

·
Registered
176 Posts
Guessing here but once water gets into electronic circuits and connections it can be totally unpredictable. Especially as the switches on the left side control both TC and the gear changing. What's a little more mystifying is the revving of the engine but as that's no doubt handled via the same CPU it might just be all the confusing signals from the left control that are outside normal parameters and then all bets are off... Or that the right unit has problems!! Strange that Honda didn't test this too well - or maybe production units differ slightly from test units.

There was another owner who reported a startup issue on this forum - it crunched slightly and then wouldn't engage a gear until it was restarted. So maybe the various manifestations are out there.

So Honda has a problem - well, we DCT owners have a problem anyway. Not only will we not trust the bikes but we won't be able to flog 'em! Who'll buy one if this starts happening more often?

Given that even the manual units are getting switchgear problems the owners of those bikes might want to lean less on the TC...

B*gger.
Water in electrical circuits is never predictable. In most instances it does as expected and shorts everything out. Sometimes it blocks the current path and other times completes the current path despite the switch being in the open position. With a multi switch housing as found on motorcycles all bets are off.

201 - 215 of 215 Posts