Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Im on my third AT and this time a 2019 big adventure. Just found a big issue with the white frame.
Paint is chipping of in small chunks (3 different spots and counting).
Got in touch with HONDA Portugal and they say that they will fix by repainting these areas. I answered that it's not a solution for a lacquered paint job finish.
I know that there's a lot of complaints about these bike finishes. Super sloppy weldings and poor painting jobs.
My goal is to get some "jurisprudence" to defend myself as a costumer.
Anyone faced the same issue?

·
Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
I think there are a few members that have had issues with the paint like you, tho I don’t recall any getting a full strip and repainting of the frame, like it needs... But maybe I’m wrong..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got my complain rejected and they mention that they're going to approve fix and not a full strip. Also mention that they will promote a "good will" agreement to extend the paint and repaint future issues. What the **** happened to HONDA!? Very disappointed with the one brand that I always defended as the samurai ownership culture.

·
Registered
31 Posts
While I like the design of my ATAS, there have been to many basic issues with the AT and ATAS - forks, corrosion, poor paint, poor welds, debris in fuel tank and ... These are problems that should not be happening. Add in poor customer support and a 1 year warranty - most bikes in this group have 2 or 3 year warranties. Looks like a major cost cutting campaign to me. Would you trust Honda and spend over $17,000.00 on a new 2020 ATAS DCT? Probably will be my last Honda product, what a shame, not long ago, Honda had great, well built products with good customer support.

Jon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was my plan to get the 2020. Depends on how they're going to manage this situation. I've pushed back the first solution. Opened a support case with them and require a better fix. New frame or complete frame strip and repaint. Let's see how this goes. Will keep this post updated.
By the way, anyone got these false-ignitions when match reeving?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just curious, I follow 2 different AT forums, and several AT facebook groups. It seems like it's always European owners who have this issue.

Are the AT's bound for the USA manufactured in a different location as the EURO bikes? I'm yet to see a USA bike with the bad welds, frame paint, etc.

===edit

So this question of mine led me down the VIN decoder route.
https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Honda according to that site here is the info on my bike:

Manufacturer:Honda Japan
Honda
Model:
CRF1000A2/Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Region/Plant:
Kumamoto Japan
Check:
Year:
Sequential number:

It would be interesting to see if we could find a trend. TO see if it could be narrowed down to which Honda factory these problem Africa's have come out of.

Plant Codes from Wikipedia not sure how accurate as my plant code (11th position in VIN) is K and K is not listed

Assembly plant
VIN Code Description
A Marysville, Ohio, USA
B Lincoln, Alabama, USA
C Sayama, Saitama, Japan
E Greensburg, Indiana, USA
G El Salto, Jalisco, Mexico
H Alliston, Ontario, Canada
L East Liberty, Ohio, USA
M Celaya, Guanajuato, Mexico
P Ayutthaya, Thailand
S Suzuka, Mie, Japan
T Utsunomiya, Tochigi, Japan
U Swindon, Wiltshire, U.K.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Griz: Thanks, that is interesting. If I am reading that correctly my ATAS was the 554th one off of the line out of Kumamoto. Makes me wonder if my #(%*^& tank fuel pump problem was in the middle front or back of the tank lot that got over-spray inside. Maybe that was a stateside legacy and the Europeans got none of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GRIZ: I think thats Honda Kikuchi Plant. My bike is also a K. Today I got a feedback after the second evaluation of my problem. Still say that it can be fixed with painting to the local affected zones. Anyway I continue to discover a really low level paint job. Full of grain and bad usage of a paint gun. It amazes me why would HONDA put in circulation such a bad example of work and on one of the most iconic bikes. I got some weird explanations but this time I requested a full report with fotos of the damaged places. Next step escalate and if not ... social media!

·
Registered
50 Posts
[email protected], I, and I believe many others, fully agree with you. All these problems you list and more you do not list, we Honda ATAS owners are experiencing, are very disappointing, at least. The more I ride the bike and 'tinker' with it, the more I realize how the bike seems to be 'slapped' together. I have owned my ATAS for 7 months now and she has spend about 55 days in service for warranty work, waiting for backordered parts, waiting for Honda USA reply, etc. New buyers should be fully aware of what some, if not most of current owner, are going thru.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My ATAS is a 2018, number 816 off the line on Kumamoto. It's also a K. I really want to siphon some gas out from a low spot because I'm starting to get some sputtering when first starting up. Frame paint seems fine - but they really put no thought into servicing this thing. And the only tools I got were a crappy screwdriver and a piece if cable. A bike this expensive should come with all the tools needed to change a tire and the oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Olá Pedro. Podes me enviar uma mensagem privada por mail! jose.gomes.pedro gmail.com.
Estou a tentar resolver o problema com a Honda. Apresentam soluções que não são viáveis. Pintura local etc. O teu quadro é o branco?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So...today I visited the new ATAS2020. Looks great and just by sitting on it, i'm almost certain that some real improvements were considered. BUT...nevertheless I took my mini-flashlight and started to noose around the old "new" frame details...guys it's the same pile of horse dumping. I'm was not expecting that...I'm speechless...and strangely comforted with the status. The new Honda pray is "this is our standard product finish" ... all my weight was used agains me...the perfect OSOTO-GARY! ippon! I quit!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts