Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what Honda's standard warranty period is? Anybody buying extended warranties?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I bought a 2016 DCT version about 3 weeks ago and was given the option to purchase extended within 60 days. $800 bucks, but might be worth it since its a new model.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Seems importers have different warranties in different countries. I believe BMW give a three year warranty in the States, but only two years in the UK. Why is beyond me in this world of harmonisation.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Seems importers have different warranties in different countries. I believe BMW give a three year warranty in the States, but only two years in the UK. Why is beyond me in this world of harmonisation.
I think BMW should offer 3 years across the board like you say. They class themselves as a premium brand and charge a premium price so should offer a three year warranty.
But saying that I spoke to a guy the other week who used to work for BMW as a salesman and he said "whatever you do get rid before the warranty runs out" this spoke a thousand words!
I also spoke to a gent who owned a K1600 touring thing and he said he has had it three months and it's been back to the dealers twice already for warranty issues and things going wrong. I love the look of the GSA but iv read some awful things about problems that have put me off,and I also know a guy who had a brand new one in 2011 he had it four years and had two rear drive seal failures on he shaft drive,and also the slave cylinder failed contaminating the dry clutch with oil!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks - I bought a 2016 DCT version about 3 weeks ago and was given the option to purchase extended within 60 days. $800 bucks, but might be worth it since its a new model.
I also bought a '16 DCT. I purchased the extended 48 months for $450 at the dealer. You can purchase the Honda factory warranty at any Honda dealership (even out of state). Shop around and get quotes. The dealer has to buy the warranty for a set price, but anything above that is profit for them.

If you've already thrown down the $800 beans, you can get a full refund as long as it's within your basic warranty time frame. I think your refund gets pro rated after that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
728 Posts
... I spoke to a guy the other week who used to work for BMW as a salesman and he said "whatever you do get rid before the warranty runs out" this spoke a thousand words!
I also spoke to a gent who owned a K1600 touring thing and he said he has had it three months and it's been back to the dealers twice already for warranty issues and things going wrong. ...
BMWs are not cheap to service but just like any brand, a few will have problems. I had no fear of going anywhere on my 2006 R1200-RT in 11-years of ownership. Just sold it whilst awaiting a Red AT Standard.
Owned the RT since new. Ya, there were a few recalls all managed at service intervals. 11-years and 70,000km to Baja California (twice), Laguna Seca (twice) , Chicken Alaska, Bear Tooth, Icefields Parkway, 800km just for a steak dinner and coffee the next morning.
Only time it ever left me stranded - the fuel pump controller let out a puff of smoke (known issue) - took a day to get a new one, meanwhile (thanks to BMWMOA web site) I hacked the failed part and had the bike running in 2 hours.

Oh, and the heated grips, heated seat and cruise control were flawless.

Meanwhile my 2016 KTM 350 EXC-F, 1st gear at idle on trails rides smooth but slows down and stutters like it's running out of gas as I crack the throttle just off the stop. Read to race...

·
Registered
97 Posts
BMWs are not cheap to service but just like any brand, a few will have problems. I had no fear of going anywhere on my 2006 R1200-RT in 11-years of ownership. Just sold it whilst awaiting a Red AT Standard.
Owned the RT since new. Ya, there were a few recalls all managed at service intervals. 11-years and 70,000km to Baja California (twice), Laguna Seca (twice) , Chicken Alaska, Bear Tooth, Icefields Parkway, 800km just for a steak dinner and coffee the next morning.
Only time it ever left me stranded - the fuel pump controller let out a puff of smoke (known issue) - took a day to get a new one, meanwhile (thanks to BMWMOA web site) I hacked the failed part and had the bike running in 2 hours.

Oh, and the heated grips, heated seat and cruise control were flawless.

Meanwhile my 2016 KTM 350 EXC-F, 1st gear at idle on trails rides smooth but slows down and stutters like it's running out of gas as I crack the throttle just off the stop. Read to race...
However a single good or bad experience with a brand says very little as the sample size is so small. Whenever I have come across a realibility survey of a significant size the trend tends to say the same thing, and that is Honda are near the top and Ducati were the worst although now that honour goes to BMW.

For example the US consumer group sampled 11,000 purchases, within 4 years of ownership 12% of Hondas had problems, second only to Yamaha at 11%, whilst BMW were worst at 40%. In addition BMW were far more expensive to fix, nearly twice as much as most Japanese models.

Now stats can be made to tell any story you like but reliability is always a factor when I am considering buying BMWs.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You aren't racing if you're first gear at idle. :laugh:

They come bogged down with california emissions junk here in North America. You need to remove the emissions junk and find a dealership that can remap your ecu with the "euro map", and then advance the timing on your throttle position sensor to fix those problems as they come in super lean from the factory to us in north america now. Everything nowadays has it's little hacks, but they sure are a lot closer to ready than they were in the past.

It used to be that you'd buy one and go out right away and replace the suspension, carb and a handful of new jets, pipe, silencer, reed valves, air filter, handle bars, seat, seat cover, possibly radiators, get porting done, spend a weekend tuning the carb and dial in the new suspension, endless decals placed carefully on one at a time, probably some other odds and ends lol.

·
Registered
728 Posts
However a single good or bad experience with a brand says very little as the sample size is so small. Whenever I have come across a realibility survey of a significant size the trend tends to say the same thing, and that is Honda are near the top and Ducati were the worst although now that honour goes to BMW.

For example the US consumer group sampled 11,000 purchases, within 4 years of ownership 12% of Hondas had problems, second only to Yamaha at 11%, whilst BMW were worst at 40%. In addition BMW were far more expensive to fix, nearly twice as much as most Japanese models.

Now stats can be made to tell any story you like but reliability is always a factor when I am considering buying BMWs.
Truth be told, There were 2 recalls the dealer took care of before delivery - front brake orifice and anti-lock sensor wire routing.
Then just after delivery a potential exploding Borg-Warner clutch recall.
More recently BMW issued 2 more recalls - finally acknowledged the fuel pump (Continental) connections were cracking and leaking gas, and the flange holding the rear wheel could crack if the wheel bolts were overtightened.

I owned a Yamaha XJ650-RJC for 12 years and only needed gas, oil, tires and a new exhaust when the original rusted out..:grin2:

·
Registered
110 Posts
My factory 1 yr warranty is about to expire. I have 30 days to extend it.

Does/Will Honda be contacting me to extend the warranty or do I need to shop it on my own?

Getting ready to call my saleseman, even though he wasn't the one who sold me the addons at purchase like 12v and centerstand. Where I bought my bike they were trying to push their in house warranty at purchase.

I just don't feel my original dealer is going to offer me the best deal on extending it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello....
My advice is to shop around
I got an extended 48 months without roadside assistance from Honda for $500. AVOID AFTERMARKET WARRANTIES!!!! Only buy a warranty that has the manufacturers name on it. Anything else is just an insurance company making a buck. Say no to Zurich, Say not to After Care, Say no to Interstate! NO NO NO! lmao my career is in the automotive industry and I can tell you that they do NOT stand behind the customer, they have loopholes for everything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts