Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do when you have something plugged into the socket? I'm scrapping my Garmin which was a waste of time and space on my european trip, and want to use my iphone - but the USB-Lightning lead will channel rainwater straight down into the cig socket. Has anyone found any kind of rubber sleeve for sale?
Mike

·
Registered
480 Posts
What do you guys do when you have something plugged into the socket? I'm scrapping my Garmin which was a waste of time and space on my european trip, and want to use my iphone - but the USB-Lightning lead will channel rainwater straight down into the cig socket. Has anyone found any kind of rubber sleeve for sale?
Mike
In rainy old Ireland I have got through a number of these USB sockets with the wet, not specifically from the cable route though, just pissing rain. I didn't mind though, I was just so delighted it hadn't blown the fuse ridiculously placed, buried behind the fairing. A new charger was €2 and I thought to sacrifice a cable by plugging it in the USB slot and shrinking some heatshrink around it as a solution. Not done it yet but my fall back position was to cover the USB port in blue-tac which seems to be lasting for me at the moment. I cant imagine there isn't someone who makes a complete 12v accessory plug to lightening/mini-USB connector though. Like this but not so ugly. https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/stk-ipadiphone-5-24a-car-charger-a70lt Like every good electrician have you cable dropping down in a loop from the charger before going up to your phone holder, it will run nicely under the main fairing bar to keep it that way. Any water running down the cable drops off the loop rather than getting to the end of the cable and your USB port.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Which Garmin did you have that was a let down in Europe? I plan to go the Picos next May and ride up from Santander. I have the 590 and was hoping it would do the job.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've had the 590 and now the 595....the same plugs on both. The socket IMO is reasonably well out of the road, even at a standstill.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't have nay problems with water and the garmin - just The Zumo 220's stupid idiosyncracies.
Mike

·
Registered
977 Posts
Reactions: mike5100

·
Registered
480 Posts
This guy sells weatherproof and waterproof outlets and cable covers. Has pretty good reviews from other riders.

https://www.3brpowersports.com/
The end of his USB cables are no more protected than the 12v Honda outlet once the cap is open though. I guess you could run one into a tank bag to charge your phone and if you were not using the tank bag it can be closed and protected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts